January 5th/6th Potential Clipper

Money

0.9" now. Ratio is 15:1, which isn't as low as I thought it was. Thinking 2" is fairly reasonable for a total.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

just isn't Chicago's year I guess.

This time last year we had 33", far cry from the 5.5" total for the season since yesterday at ORD!  We still have 3 months of possible winter weather and I think this will be another winter dragging on into late March.  SST analogs continue to point towards a very cold JFM.

Sitting at 1.5"...maybe top out just above 2" from this Clipper.  Congrats IA on the heavy snow.

I was up at 39.2" this time last year. Except for the upper Midwest and LES belts this hasn't been anyone's winter really.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

1.3" as of 10:40pm.

Will be interested to hear if anyone in eastern Iowa tops 6".

Mercer Island, 350 ft

One more band to move through-- but at best it will only give a few tenths. Standing at 6.3" right now. Not to bad. Especially if you went with some of the local TV mets who as late as last nights 10pm newscast-- WHO TV went with 2-3" and the met didn't even change graphics/data from mid afternoon. Joke. Many on here would do much better.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I finished with about 5.8 inches.  I expected uniform measurements because the wind was relatively light, but I had 5.9 to 6.0 on my snowboards and 5.6 or so on the patio.  I went with an average.  I can totally confirm the poor ratio reports from Des Moines, et al.  I melted down the gauge catch as well as a core sample and got a close average of 0.46".  That is not even 13 to 1.  All the pre-storm talk was ~20 to 1.  The wetter models were very close with the qpf.  The Euro, as I think it tends to do for clippers, was significantly too dry.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I think the cold temps actually hurt more than they helped in this case. Doesn't help that it was fairly windy as well which probably broke up te flake size. 

The cold temps in IA--helped the snowfall at my location.  When a heavy band of good dendrite snow would come through my observing area-- the temp actually went down several tenths to even a whole degree at times. Dynamic cooling even much below the 0C range exists.  The opposite with pixie dust. The winds with this system were crazy, but I don't think the 10M winds have anything to do with dendrite growth - or measuring snowfall if you measure every hour,, but depends on location.  (that means each location (officially)  cleaning off  part of a snowboard every hour.  Snowfall is officially measured every hour-- 90% of the reports you see are not measuring and clearing a snowboard every hour. 90% are usually measured after the snow has compacted or blown.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Looks like 7-8 inches was the max in the des moines area. Definetly weaker than what we were looking at 3 days ago

So you're saying one run of the NAM, a usually juiced up model, didn't come true!? No way!!! This was a very solid clipper, and I think ratios were lower than expected, so maybe the models weren't really all that far off after all.

• Like 1

So you're saying one run of the NAM, a usually juiced up model, didn't come true!? No way!!! This was a very solid clipper, and I think ratios were lower than expected, so maybe the models weren't really all that far off after all.

Every model had the low to strong 3 days ago.  Dont even have to look at qpf to see that

Midway had 2.6 total. Haven't seen O'Hare yet

2.0" there.

1.6" at home, 0.9" in Racine. Not much fell after midnight. Roads are even more of a mess this morning. Travel times were/are pretty long this morning.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Around 4 days of tracking to only receive a couple inches. Just goes to show how boring this pattern has been.

Try to enjoy it Tony, at least we don't live in SE NE right now.  ORD topped out at 2" which ain't a lot but certainly whitened the scenery some more.  We still have plenty of winter left on the table.

Meantime, 12z GGEM seeing this amount of snow through Monday...

Try to enjoy it Tony, at least we don't live in SE NE right now.  ORD topped out at 2" which ain't a lot but certainly whitened the scenery some more.  We still have plenty of winter left on the table.

Meantime, 12z GGEM seeing this amount of snow through Monday...

You got that right, tonight us Omaha folks were treated to another dusting to half inch of snow with the arctic front passage.

At least I was personally able to enjoy a fairly big snow of 5-7 inches during my two day/one night work trip to Sioux Falls (and it was a fun storm to track and experience in person), but as I drove south of Sioux City late this afternoon and saw the snow depth erode from nearly a foot on the ground in South Dakota to MAYBE an inch of snow that barely covers the grass in Western Iowa/East Central Nebraska, my Winter happiness dropped quite a bit.

At least it appears that warmer air will build in from the west and kick out this nasty arctic air. I know there is a lot of Winter left, but if there are no appreciable systems on the horizon, a warm-up to above normal in the next 8-14 days sounds all right to me. Still holding out hope that we can get a big storm in February-March-April, as those are the months we get our biggest storms anyhow.