January 5th/6th Potential Clipper

Money

Looks like SEMI could see a little snow from this clipper type system. I'm thinking with high ratios being almost 20:1, maybe It can squeeze out a 2-4 inch type event.  :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

09Z SREF mean is still 7.64 inches at ORD with the lowest a bit over 4 inches and the highest being around a foot. I subtracted off the snow that it still showed from this weekends system. I still believe a slight shift in either direction is possible, but probably only around 25 miles or so.

What will have to happen to have this storm shift further north again? Is the arctic air just pushing it south?

Yup, the arctic air is pushing it south...right now ORD stands at a 3-5" event tops.  Des Moines, IA is looking to be in the sweet spot but that southern edge is a dagger if your 25 miles to the south.

Looks like a great hit for certain areas in Iowa; don't know what it is about clippers but they always are good for areas to our east. We never have luck with them, one thing is for sure the cold shot coming after looks brutal. I have a forecast high of 3 on Wednesday!

The past couple storms had major shifts within 24hrs. I wonder what to expect this time around, will it shift farther south or trend back north to where it first started. Guess it all depends on where the baraclinic zone sets up.

Yeah but this past storm had so many pieces and phasing issues. Clippers dont have that. Any shifts should be minor......i would think.

The past couple storms had major shifts within 24hrs. I wonder what to expect this time around, will it shift farther south or trend back north to where it first started. Guess it all depends on where the baraclinic zone sets up.

Eh, I have my doubts this is going to shift back North. The 12Z hi-res runs this morning went well south of their 06Z. My guess that the 18Z NAM will continue to correct south more in line with the GFS as well. It's a lot better to be riding on the northern end than the southern end though. Even if the southern solutions come to fruition we would still get around 2-4 inches which would be a lot better than nothing.

Looks like a DSM/DVN Special right now...give or take 25 miles north or south.  You can see the models coming into agreement.  However, it can easily go 25 miles north or south the day of.  Just need to see what the radar is showing Monday afternoon in order to see where this clipper is tracking.  

That southern edge is harsh. would not wanna be down there.

That's the place where you would be sweating it. haha. 

I do think the bleeding trend to the south is coming to a halt now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"