2014 was the Warmest Year on Record in Much of Alaska

Glacier

It seems almost unbelievable they could have been so warm at the same time the entire Western US was so warm. We were talking about some gigantic upper level features to pull that off. There must have been a large sympathetic cold area somewhere.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It seems almost unbelievable they could have been so warm at the same time the entire Western US was so warm. We were talking about some gigantic upper level features to pull that off. There must have been a large sympathetic cold area somewhere.

Most of the US was well below normal for the year. Due to prolonged +PNA and +EPO, the warmth extended all the way up the west coast of North America.

A forum for the end of the world.

Going to be the warmest year on record globally.

The global warming freaks are going to sh*t when they hear about this one!

It's the elephant in the room.

Why oh why can't we score like we used to? Pretty obvious.

I know it's frowned upon to link local events with global temperature change, but I think the positive anomaly bonanza we experienced for much of 2014 was certainly given a boost by the warmer globe. I know I get mocked everytime I bring it up but some sort of correlation seems like a no-brainier to me.

• Like 1

I know it's frowned upon to link local events with global temperature change, but I think the positive anomaly bonanza we experienced for much of 2014 was certainly given a boost by the warmer globe. I know I get mocked everytime I bring it up but some sort of correlation seems like a no-brainier to me.

I'm sure a warmer globe plays a part. The stuff in CA the last few years is unprecedented in the time of record there. 2014 was also unique among our huge regional blowtorch years in that it wasn't following a strong El Nino (2013-14 was cold neutral). That separates it from years like 1998, 1995, 1992, 1987, 1958, 1941, 1926 etc. 

I'm sure a warmer globe plays a part. The stuff in CA the last few years is unprecedented in the time of record there. 2014 was also unique among our huge regional blowtorch years in that it wasn't following a strong El Nino (2013-14 was cold neutral). That separates it from years like 1998, 1995, 1992, 1987, 1958, 1941, 1926 etc.

Good thing we have a huge cooling event coming up. Should start around 2017 give or take a few decades.

I think you are correct.  The big question is why has the globe been warming.  That question is much more complex than most people think.  If solar plays a big role the coming grand minimum should really help.

Another point to consider is parts of the US had amazingly cold year and last winter was epic for them.  If they can do it we should be able to also.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You still have the problem of 1934 though.  Sometimes things happen out of left field.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Most of the US was well below normal for the year. Due to prolonged +PNA and +EPO, the warmth extended all the way up the west coast of North America.

Quick! Which station is Alaska's OLM? Something tells me UHI is at play here with some of these records.

These stats need some spin, stat!

• Like 1

Good thing we have a huge cooling event coming up. Should start around 2017 give or take a few decades.

Past history says this year will be much cooler than 2014.  We shall see I guess.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Quick! Which station is Alaska's OLM? Something tells me UHI is at play here with some of these records.

These stats need some spin, stat!

You call it spin, I call it offering in-depth analysis and a different perspective. If you'd just prefer the same regurgitated perspective from everyone on here, maybe you're in the wrong place. :)

I'm fair about what I post, and I look at stats before I form opinions. I'm definitely a believer in AGW, I think most people know that by now. However, I think many people (including some on here) tend to get a little too caught up in short term trends and not seeing the big picture.

A forum for the end of the world.

You still have the problem of 1934 though.  Sometimes things happen out of left field.

Yeah...1934 probably had the most long-lived temperature anomaly on record in the NW US...basically the first 4 months of the year were warmest on record or in top 3 warmest on record.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Yeah...1934 probably had the most long-lived temperature anomaly on record in the NW US...basically the first 4 months of the year were warmest on record or in top 3 warmest on record.

And during a La Nina.  The 1930s was an amazingly interesting decade.  The media likes to blather about how whacked out everything is now for whatever reason, but the 1930s was even more out there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

And during a La Nina.  The 1930s was an amazingly interesting decade.  The media likes to blather about how whacked out everything is now for whatever reason, but the 1930s was even more out there.

See Feb 1936 (coldest month ever across Northern Plains) and July 1936 (warmest month ever in the northern Plains).

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

You call it spin, I call it offering in-depth analysis and a different perspective. If you'd just prefer the same regurgitated perspective from everyone on here, maybe you're in the wrong place. :)

I'm fair about what I post, and I look at stats before I form opinions. I'm definitely a believer in AGW, I think most people know that by now. However, I think many people (including some on here) tend to get a little too caught up in short term trends and not seeing the big picture.

I actually agree with a good deal of this. I think too much is being made of what probably will look to be an outlier year, even within what is an overall warming world in the big picture.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

California was +1.8F degrees warmer than 1934 which held the States previous record!!! That is crazy. The state as a whole was +4.1F above average. Here in Tahoe we were anywhere from +5.8F - +7.5F depending on which part of the basin you were in. The lack of snow cover allowed the Temps to sky rocket. We have been +8F- +15F above average this last week so the new year is starting out worse than last year. 

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/environment/2015/01/08/californias-hottest-record/21474835/

It is interesting looking at the UAH satellite data. 2014 was the 3rd warmest year on record globally (records began 36 years ago), but it was only the 21st warmest year in the lower 48 states... BUT when we add Alaska to the equation, it was the 8th warmest year on record in the United Snakes.