Why did Oregon escape a large tier artic outbreak or snowstorm (south of Portland)?

Link

Remember. Just because Team Portland got buried doesn't mean the rest of us did and we didn't.  Portland as strange as it seems is not all of Orgon despite what the media and voting patterns try to paint.  Early November is STILL my coldest of the year we haven't yet beat and for a La Nina that's pretty sad. Being on the south edge of the ice storm was the only thing that made it up. Literally just south of us a few miles was totally clear of us even though we lost power for 4 days.

• Storm 1

This was my first La Nina to give me a weak snowfall.

Also, no events over 3.3" in one day. That is a little shocking.

• Sun 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

2 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

This was my first La Nina to give me a weak snowfall.

Also, no events over 3.3" in one day. That is a little shocking.

So La Nina's are usually good for you too?

What's weird though it's taboo to say anything like that as it makes other forum members lose their (four letter word) and stuff thinking your downplaying the whole winter. Then it becomes like a Reddit circle jerk. If you've been there you'll know what I mean. Why is the S word censored on here?

• Storm 1

1 minute ago, Link said:

What's weird though it's taboo to say anything like that as it makes other forum members lose their and stuff thinking your downplaying the whole winter.

I know Washington mountains had a nice season. So I'm not downplaying anything.

My post is mostly based on my own standards for snowstorms in Klamath Falls. One or two 6+ inch days in a La Nina isn't uncommon. Klamath County will probably be in drought status come late Spring.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

2 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

I know Washington mountains had a nice season. So I'm not downplaying anything.

My post is mostly based on my own standards for snowstorms in Klamath Falls. One or two 6+ inch days in a La Nina isn't uncommon.

I didn't say you were. I said if you or I mention our areas being losers they lose their four letter word and think we are trying to downplay it instead of accepting that things were very VERY marginalized regardless who got the most or least amounts.  It quickly goes the R/Politics route.

• Like 1

Specific answer: because storms tracked too far north, leaving most of Oregon on their warm sides.

General answer: plain old bad luck. Happens sometimes. If it makes any of you feel better, this winter was largely a dud in Vancouver, BC as well. Here in Bellingham we were right on the bleeding northern edge of the fun. By the time one got to the border, snowfall accumulations were quite modest and disappointing.

It's called clown range for a reason.

49 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Specific answer: because storms tracked too far north, leaving most of Oregon on their warm sides.

General answer: plain old bad luck. Happens sometimes. If it makes any of you feel better, this winter was largely a dud in Vancouver, BC as well. Here in Bellingham we were right on the bleeding northern edge of the fun. By the time one got to the border, snowfall accumulations were quite modest and disappointing.

Yeah....the north to south temperature gradients were ridiculous with that.  It dropped below -40 in some parts of Southern BC.  Places north of Bellingham were the victim of too much cold air being in the picture.  Places south of Portland got the shaft entirely.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9