April 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

We are up to 84º, so the warmer models were right.  We should be at least this warm again tomorrow.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 hours ago, bud2380 said:

How could Kansas City's first 90 degree day be on average almost a month after Lincoln and later than Minneapolis?  Something seems a bit suspect there.  

I can believe that Lincoln averages an earlier date than KC, but not by almost a month. But behind MSP? No way lol

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

The overnight run of the GFS does not shout a warm pattern as we get into May. Showing some nights in the 30's and highs 15-20 degrees below average. Hopefully it does not repeat this last 2.5 weeks in KC. Up until Sunday this past weekend, we had two straight weeks of well below average temps and some days just down right wintry. 

A windy 85 degrees yesterday. The warmth was nice after a very cold middle to late April.

We did have quite a bit of freeze  damage from last week. I dropped to 24 degrees in my part of KC. A lot of plants did have a moderate amount of new growth on them, so, a lot of the new leaf was burned badly. I have 55 Hydrangea plants on my property and they got destroyed. Now, I'm hopeful they will flush those leafs and form new ones. I'll know here soon..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Of course we will have to see just how warm it gets today in Grand Rapids.  On this date there have been 8 years with highs in the 80's and a total of 20 years with highs of 75 or more. The last time it has gotten 75 or more on this date was in 2009 (76). Of note is that year July was one of the coolest on record here at Grand Rapids. It has not gotten to 80 or better here since 1990. 

• Like 1

Finally, I am on the receiving end of some much welcomed rainfall this morning.  While its only about .10 or so it certainly has moistened up the ground and provided a fresh desert smell in the air.  Birds are chirping and ecstatic to see the rain.  The Heat is churning up later this week as a few 100's are showing up for the weekend.  The "SW Sizzle" is going to be baking the deserts this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Sun 1

Fun fact. While it was hard for me to believe but on this date there have been a total of 8 years where it has gotten 80 or better and a total of 20 years where it has gotten to 75 or better. Now here comes the fun fact. Of the years it has gotten to 80 or better 5 of the summers that followed were cooler then average and 3 were average ( 1990, 1962, 1986, 1915 and 1970 cooler. 1899,1938 and 1914 average) but even more surprising is that of all of the years that it has gotten to 75 or better on this date (a total of 20 years) only one summer was warmer that average (1911) and only three more were average (1984,1952 and 1901) the other were cooler than average. So I guess the warmer it gets today the better chance of a cool or average summer. What a way to make a long range guess.

• Like 1

It was starting to getting pretty hot again like yesterday but luckily the cold front pushed through. North winds and it's about 20-25 degrees cooler than this time yesterday. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

23 hours ago, MIKEKC said:

The overnight run of the GFS does not shout a warm pattern as we get into May. Showing some nights in the 30's and highs 15-20 degrees below average. Hopefully it does not repeat this last 2.5 weeks in KC. Up until Sunday this past weekend, we had two straight weeks of well below average temps and some days just down right wintry. 

A windy 85 degrees yesterday. The warmth was nice after a very cold middle to late April.

We did have quite a bit of freeze  damage from last week. I dropped to 24 degrees in my part of KC. A lot of plants did have a moderate amount of new growth on them, so, a lot of the new leaf was burned badly. I have 55 Hydrangea plants on my property and they got destroyed. Now, I'm hopeful they will flush those leafs and form new ones. I'll know here soon..

Yeah hydrangeas are sensitive. Ours were budding out about as good as ever on account of being covered by deep snow, but the upper buds froze even though I covered them. They are nicely growing out of the bottom now though. 
I wish that convection in eastern Nebraska could maintain as it moves across Iowa, but that’s not expected. Hopefully we’ll get some heavy rain early next week.

• Like 1

As someone pointed out, and especially for my friends in KC and I down here on the south and eastern portions of the forum, 3-4 days above avg tops in the pattern isn't really overwhelming warmth.

I love the contrasts though. One poster at 90 degrees and other at snow and 30 degrees in successive posts....

Got a feeling that after we exit this month, the contrasted extremes from one side of the forum to the next are going to grow as extensive heat and drought risks stand or grow for many. I'd hoped that folks outside of this region would gain some more, but I'm going with "not gonna happen".

• Like 1

Getting some light rain here at this time. The temperature has now fallen down to 55 with that light rain. While the high here at my house yesterday was 82 the official high at Grand Rapids was 78. Either way using the rule of April 27th this summer should be either cooler or near average. 

• Like 3

As @MIKEKC also mentioned in his area, extensive tree damages and leaf curling on a bunch of oak trees and fruit trees here as well. Going to be interesting to see what happens with the hardwoods nut harvests and such over the next season and after.

Will be interesting to see if the oaks go into max nut production mode in the coming seasons. Feels like it's been 10 years+ since the hardwoods have fruited off in bounty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Yeah hydrangeas are sensitive. Ours were budding out about as good as ever on account of being covered by deep snow, but the upper buds froze even though I covered them. They are nicely growing out of the bottom now though. 
I wish that convection in eastern Nebraska could maintain as it moves across Iowa, but that’s not expected. Hopefully we’ll get some heavy rain early next week.

A few thunder showers have kept going into Iowa so far. Hopefully it can increase a little.

ORD tied a record high yesterday of 87F before the good ol' Spring time pneumonia front swept in later in the evening around 8:00pm as temps crashed 30 degrees in about an hour.  I spoke to my sister and she said it felt like summer out there the past couple days.  Looks like a delightful weekend on tap with temps in the 70's and sunshine.  

Meantime, drum roll please...PHX officially tallied 0.01" of precip yesterday while just to the northeast across my area we managed to score about .10".  I'm not to enthusiastic about this region getting more chances of precip until the Monsoon season.  I do believe it will be a much better Monsoon season overall once we get into July.

• Like 3

Had a thunderstorm move through quickly around 12:30-1:00 AM this early morning.  Looks like I got about 0.25".  Been a little dry lately, so that was welcome.  Forecast gets wet and possibly a little stormy Sunday night through early Tuesday with cooler weather again after a warm spell from Friday - Sunday.

• Like 2

Quite dry at DSM. 1.28" for April which is only 33% of normal 3.86".  Only mowed my lawn once, usually half dozen or so most years.

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The rain has ended here and I recorded 0.04" of rain fall. It looks like there was more rain at the airport as they have reported at least 0.9" of rain. The last temperature reading at GRR was 51 with light rain falling and here at my house it is now 55 and cloudy.