The Weather Forums

April 2021 Observations and Discussion

There was a total of 0.17" of rain here with the cold front that came thru. The official rain fall was 0.12" at the airport. The high here for the day was 51 and at GRR the high looks to have been 53. At this time it is mostly cloudy and 45 here and 43 at the airport. Any snow that falls now looks to be the the SE of the Grand Rapids area. 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t see this every day.. Occurred Friday in Lockett ,Texas Picture compliments of Capital Weather Gang

I know this is quite distant geographically - but I came across this pic of the St.Vincent eruption in the Carib-- a really cool pic.

Good morning from Pinetop, AZ where the elevation is about 7,200 ft.  It’s a cool, crisp 48F this morning.  Yesterday, was a very breezy day up in the mountains while in the valley it warmed into the

Posted Images

Had a freeze warning last night, another one tonight, and they are probably going to issue one for tomorrow night as well. So far we've had several and while it's gone below freezing multiple times this month, the sub freezing temps haven't been low enough or lasted long enough to really hurt anything at my place and I haven't heard of any damage elsewhere either. Flowers, plants, etc are all still doing fine. Made it down to 28 last night, and supposed to get down to 30 the next couple nights.

• Like 2

The weather pattern looking to warm up and get active.  Reed Timmer mentioning a potential severe weather outbreak next week.

Tweet

See new Tweets

@ReedTimmerAccu

Watching closely the potential for a widespread severe weather outbreak from eastern Tornado Alley into the Mid-South with monster trough ejection on April 27-28, 2021, on the 10 year anniversary of the infamous Super Outbreak in 2011. We are approaching peak season for severe wx

• Like 4

3.5 inches of snow fell here in my part of KC. Started snowing at 3:30 am and coated grass, cars, and elevated areas. Stuck to everything except the streets. (streets might have gotten slushy for a bit when that heavy band moved through) KCI needed 2.8 inches to set an all time record for April 20th,I think they made it.

Now.....at 12:05, barely can tell it snowed. Almost totally gone. The ole April sun angle got to it. 

What a morning!

• Like 6
  • Snow 1

NWS Hastings doesn't issue frost or freeze headlines as the area still hasn't passed the date of the last frost, which is usually in early May.  If you had tender plants out this morning, they probably didn't fare too well.  Lows the next 2 mornings are low 20's then mid 20's.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

3.5 inches of snow fell here in my part of KC. Started snowing at 3:30 am and coated grass, cars, and elevated areas. Stuck to everything except the streets. (streets might have gotten slushy for a bit when that heavy band moved through) KCI needed 2.8 inches to set an all time record for April 20th,I think they made it.

Now.....at 12:05, barely can tell it snowed. Almost totally gone. The ole April sun angle got to it. 

What a morning!

Yep, same here.  I see just a little snow on the roof of our school as my classroom faces north.

Models agree on a big warmup early next week.  The latest Euro has Iowa reaching 80+º Tuesday.  Unfortunately, models are also in fair agreement that a trough will move in later in the week and stick around for a while.

season snowfall: 52.5"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

5 hours ago, Clinton said:

The weather pattern looking to warm up and get active.  Reed Timmer mentioning a potential severe weather outbreak next week.

Tweet

See new Tweets

@ReedTimmerAccu

Watching closely the potential for a widespread severe weather outbreak from eastern Tornado Alley into the Mid-South with monster trough ejection on April 27-28, 2021, on the 10 year anniversary of the infamous Super Outbreak in 2011. We are approaching peak season for severe wx

Yup. On to this now...

I'd say if there were warning signs, snow in April here is one. Going to be watching closely.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Had a freeze warning last night, another one tonight, and they are probably going to issue one for tomorrow night as well. So far we've had several and while it's gone below freezing multiple times this month, the sub freezing temps haven't been low enough or lasted long enough to really hurt anything at my place and I haven't heard of any damage elsewhere either. Flowers, plants, etc are all still doing fine. Made it down to 28 last night, and supposed to get down to 30 the next couple nights.

Upper 20°s usually isn’t bad, but mid 20°s can damage more sensitive plants.

‘20 - ‘21 season snowfall = 39.3”

It looks like there will be some scattered convective snow shower activity back home.  Full disclosure, I had a flight booked and paid for to fly in today but I cancelled it and stayed back.  Prob going to delay my trip back to Chi for a couple weeks at least.

1.png

• Like 2

I just seen a black squirrel in my yard. I thought that might be rare, but after looking up, it looks like they are becoming more common in Michigan.

Yesterday’s highs were some of the coldest for the date. The high at Grand Rapids of 40 was the 4th coldest maximum for the dated. At Lansing their high of 39 was the 5th coldest at Muskegon the high of 42 was their 9th coldest. At Kalamazoo the high of just 39 was their 3rd coldest and at Holland the high of 41 was their 4th coldest. For today with highs forecasted in the low 40’s could be the 2nd day in a row with some of the coldest highs. The overnight low here at my house was 25 but it looks like it was 27 at the airport that low of 27 is good for the 7th coldest low but 25 would have been the 3rd coldest low. At this time it is cloudy and 31 here.

• Like 1

Record cold, to record snow.....gotta love the volatility of April wx in the heartland...

1.jpg

A record breaking 2.0 inches of snow at the National Weather Service office in Indianapolis so far as of 10:35 PM EDT, breaking the previous record of only a trace last set in the year 2000. #INwx #nwsind

• Like 1

We got colder than expected overnight.  The personal station closest to my house bottomed out at 23º and the airport hit 20º.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

2 hours ago, westMJim said:

I just seen a black squirrel in my yard. I thought that might be rare, but after looking up, it looks like they are becoming more common in Michigan.

Yesterday’s highs were some of the coldest for the date. The high at Grand Rapids of 40 was the 4th coldest maximum for the dated. At Lansing their high of 39 was the 5th coldest at Muskegon the high of 42 was their 9th coldest. At Kalamazoo the high of just 39 was their 3rd coldest and at Holland the high of 41 was their 4th coldest. For today with highs forecasted in the low 40’s could be the 2nd day in a row with some of the coldest highs. The overnight low here at my house was 25 but it looks like it was 27 at the airport that low of 27 is good for the 7th coldest low but 25 would have been the 3rd coldest low. At this time it is cloudy and 31 here.

I see a lot of Black Squirrels by the Lake Michigan coastal areas.  Common in Grand Haven it seemed when I lived there.  

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

We got colder than expected overnight.  The personal station closest to my house bottomed out at 23º and the airport hit 20º.

I had 21 on my drive into work. Colder than forecasted!

Models have been suggesting the big trough later next week will slow or even cutoff over our region, leading to multiple cool days.  This morning's Euro is the first Euro run in a while that does not do this.  It has the trough progressing steadily in and out of the region, allowing more mild air to move in by the end of the run.  Let's hope this sticks.  We don't need more cutoff crap.

• Sun 1

GFS shows a few tenths of an inch of rain Friday in Iowa, while the Euro keeps it down in Missouri.  Both models show highs well into the 70s on Monday and Tuesday, which will feel amazing after this prolonged streak of cold weather.  It's been a pretty miserable two weeks.  Only one or two nice days in that stretch and those were basically around normal for highs.  I can't wait for summer.  I hope we get an early surge of heat and humidity this year by mid May. 

• Like 3

Season Snowfall: 39.5"

14 hours ago, westMJim said:

Yeah I’ve often wondered where black squirrels came from! I’ve seen a lot of black ones in Iowa City when I worked up there before 2008, and they’re probably even more common now. 

6 hours ago, bud2380 said:

GFS shows a few tenths of an inch of rain Friday in Iowa, while the Euro keeps it down in Missouri.  Both models show highs well into the 70s on Monday and Tuesday, which will feel amazing after this prolonged streak of cold weather.  It's been a pretty miserable two weeks.  Only one or two nice days in that stretch and those were basically around normal for highs.  I can't wait for summer.  I hope we get an early surge of heat and humidity this year by mid May. 

Awfully boring as well. I don’t like wasting April with cold and dry.

I had a low of 24° this morning. Not to much damage except most or many of the apricots froze. The radishes are up and look ok, including the few I left uncovered just to see how they fare comparatively.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that my brother who lives near Carbondale in southern IL, had a little accumulating snow yesterday and lower 30°s this morning which is amazing in that area this time of the year! And my sister in south-central Kansas also reported enough snow to make it look all white. Not sure if my brother in northern Indiana got snow or even if he’s back from his winter home in Arizona.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, westMJim said:

If allowed, enough black squirrels are said to overrun fox squirrels or "reds". They're stronger and more aggressive. That's probably why you're seeing more of them as time goes. That's my understanding of it.

• Like 1

The last few runs off the EPS is suggesting that a lot of our members from the MW on north and west will have temps AN to finish off the month and last into the opening of May.  Nice trend in temps as well as an uptick in rainfall chances.

1.png

2.png

• Like 3

The next 30 days off the JMA weeklies...some warmth does try to work into the pattern in early May but then reverses course.  We shall see what the Euro Weeklies say later today.  CFSv2 maintains a cooler signal and very wet/active pattern for the majority of the central CONUS.

Temp...

Y202104.D2112_gl2.png

Precip...

Y202104.D2112_gl0.png

4.png

5.png

• Like 2

Yesterday was one of the coldest April 21st in the area. At Grand Rapids the official high of 42 was the 3rd coldest maximum and the official low of 26 was the 5th coldest low. And the official snow fall of 0.3” was the 3rd snowiest for the date. At Holland the high/low of 41/26 was the 2nd coldest for the date. I had a overnight low this morning of 22.5 it looks like the official low at GRR was 25. That 25 will be the 4th coldest low for today and if my unofficial low of 22.5 was official that would be the coldest low for the date.  At this time it is partly cloudy and 30 here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OKwx2k4 said:

If allowed, enough black squirrels are said to overrun fox squirrels or "reds". They're stronger and more aggressive. That's probably why you're seeing more of them as time goes. That's my understanding of it.

That is also my understanding that black squirrels are more aggressive.

Hopefully, 40s are done for the season.

• Like 2

Dropped down to 24.6 last night, the coldest of the last 3 nights of freeze warnings. Definitely zinged some of my flowers in my yard as they were really droopy this morning, but now they've already popped back up as it has rapidly warmed to 53 degrees already at 1120am.

• Like 1

Very odd that it's warmer the further north you go today in the midwest despite abundant sunshine across the majority of the region.  I'm not sure why that is. 

midwest_tmpf.png

Season Snowfall: 39.5"

The official overnight low of 25 is the 2nd coldest low for any April 22nd at Grand Rapids. The coldest low of 24 was tied just last year. The low was 24 also in 1986 and 1950. The month of April is now down to +1.9 while above the 30 year average it is well below where it was before this cool down.

The official overnight low at GRR was 32 here at my house I had a low of 29. At this time it up to 40 here. For the month of April the mean is now 47.6 and that is good for a departure of +1.2.

It's going to start feeling like early Summer for some of you across the Plains and Upper MW....as the west coast ridge fires up and blossoms into the seasons first legit Heat Wave across Cali and the SW late next week, this will ultimately push east and usher in some delightful warm weather.

1133588458_14-kmEPSGlobalUnitedStates5-dAvgT2MAnomC.gif

The southern/eastern ag belt look wet over the next 7 days...multiple severe wx opportunities for @OKwx2k4... @Clintonand KC folks may be in the zone as well for the mid week system next week.

1.png

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

The midweek system has turned to nothing for Iowa.  The northern stream dominates and sweeps through, quietly.  Once again, all the action is well south.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The midweek system has turned to nothing for Iowa.  The northern stream dominates and sweeps through, quietly.  Once again, all the action is well south.

Severe threat looks nothing like it did earlier as well for Kansas and Oklahoma 

Kind of unrelated, but I just moved from North Lincoln to southeast. Not like 70th and Old Cheney southeast but like 91st and Pine Lake southeast LOL. Kind of tempted to bring my PWS from my parents place up here, especially since I'm so far from the airport now. That is if it still even functions properly. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"  

2018-19: 55.5"   

2019-20: 17.6"   

2020-21: 49.4" 

Average: 25.9"

It continues to be rather cool here.  We got stuck in the low 50s yesterday and clouds have held us back again today.  Sunday looks like the coolest of the weekend :( .  I'm really looking forward to the big warmup beginning Monday.

The latest Euro has us in the 70s every day except one from day three to day ten.  The GFS is cooler later this week.

• Like 2

• Tom unpinned this topic