1/8 - 1/9 Great Lakes Clipper

Tom

I would say around 2" for me and it is snowing again.

Pretty impressive Clipper as far as winds and snowfall rates go...I'd rather take this type of Clipper than a Clipper that that lays down a light falling snow with no winds.

Had about a 20 minute burst of +SN in Racine with the batch before 3:30. Visibility went down to about a block. Definitely over an inch up this way. Starting to get back into the moderate returns.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Overall, whether it be a 1", 2" or 3" snowfall...I'd have to rate this Clipper around a Top 10 or Top 5 in terms of Snowfall Rates, Winds, Blowing Snow/Whiteouts and Temps.  Pretty nice surprise that wasn't showing up around here a couple days ago.  

Now I def have an itch to experience a raging Blizzard!  BTW, Mike Caplan mentioned the airports were shutdown for a period today.

I'd say about 2.8" here so far. Hard to measure, but that's what my average ended up being. Driving conditions are pretty poor right now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Last check, ORD was at 2.0" around 6pm...that would bring the season total up to 9.3".  Creeping back towards normal slowly.  Been hearing snow ratios were about 15:1 - 20:1 according to some of the co-op reports.

LOT is thinking about issuing a Blizzard Warning but will wait till the evening crew.  

GIVEN THE ENTIRE AREA HAS A NICE DRY POWDERY SNOW PACK...THIS SHOULD
BLOW AROUND EASILY...RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED VIS...IF NOT
TEMPORARY NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. GIVEN THIS CONCERN I FELT IT
PRUDENT TO EXTEND AND EXPAND THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY THROUGH
LATE TONIGHT. I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH CONFIDENCE TO ISSUE A BLIZZARD
WARNING DUE TO THE LIKELY SHORT DURATION OF THE STRONGER WINDS. THE
EVENING SHIFT WILL HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON UPSTREAM OBS TO SEE IF A
WARNING MAY BE JUSTIFIED.

Unreal winds here in C.IA sustained at 40 with gusts to 52 at the dsm AIRPORT recently.  35 shutdown from Ames to Clear Lake.. Snow squalls come through almost like lake effect. Nasty night to be traveling.http://www.news.iowadot.gov/newsandinfo/2015/01/interstate-35-closing-including-entrance-ramps-iatraffic.html

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah its crazy over here! I drove thru some whiteout conditions. Snow squalls and blowing snow. They weren't predicting this 2 days ago!

This is one powerhouse Clipper...only if we can get a huge storm with plenty of Gulf moisture this winter.  Maybe a Blizzard of '78 repeat somewhere in the region.

With the very strong winds and the drifts it's very difficult to measure. After measuring a bunch of times, averaging them together, and throwing out the outliers I got around 3 inches here in Buffalo Grove.

I'd say this Clipper performed quite well for N IL.  Certainly wont forget driving in the white out conditions today!  Awesome day.

I think I got about 3.0" here. I know the ratio was 20:1. I'll probably use the neighboring co-op total in the morning for my records. This one of the most difficult snows to measure due to the dryness and winds.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
826 PM CST THU JAN 08 2015

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0825 PM SNOW FRANKLIN 42.90N 87.99W
01/08/2015 M4.1 INCH MILWAUKEE WI COCORAHS

18 TO 1 SNOW RATIO

After Sunday Storm It looks like it may try to warm up 16th or so it suck if we end up losing our snow pack we worked so hard for the last week. (8 Inches here) I know not much But better then we were last week hate to start all over again. Sadly about the time it warms up it gets quite bit wetter hopefully our snow pack can delay the warm up some of that will be Snow not rain around the 16th beyond.

Next Chance of Snow looks to be sunday GFS back forth about how far north this storm will go. Hopefully we can least get a little snow out of it here in Eastern Iowa.

Sunday's storm does not look to be amplified enough to affect either of us.  Looks to be a long dry period coming up, and before our next snow chance we'll probably see at least a brief warm up.

Sunday's storm does not look to be amplified enough to affect either of us.  Looks to be a long dry period coming up, and before our next snow chance we'll probably see at least a brief warm up.

That's what i thought may happen. This winter sucks very little snow No real Snow storms Clipper the highlight of the winter as far as snow goes. 

ORD topped out at 3.0" with a season snowfall total of 10.5"...biggest snowfall of the season (from a Clipper).  I'm getting antsy for a big one.  Might have to wait towards the end of the month when the pattern becomes ripe (around the 21st/22nd) for the Midwest/Lakes region.

Maybe next weekend looks like something brewing in terms of reasonable accumulations of 7"+ snowstorm. End of January looks stormy too. Might have 2 good snowstorms finally on our hands down the road. Now, that's what I am keeping an eye on. This Sunday night into Monday needs to be watched. This is true from northern Indiana points east towards Detroit. Chicago is on the fringes of this storm. Im hoping this storm can come a little further north. Lets see what happens.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I think I got about 3.0" here. I know the ratio was 20:1. I'll probably use the neighboring co-op total in the morning for my records. This one of the most difficult snows to measure due to the dryness and winds.

Going to adjust down to 2.5". Some neighboring reports were a little lower. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft