1/8 - 1/9 Great Lakes Clipper

Tom

For a couple days now, models have been showing a Clipper to traverse the Great Lakes but recent trends now have accumulating snowfall a bit farther south and may affect alot more of the members on this forum in this region.  Let's discuss this here...

Snow ratios look very good so you can use the qpf being spit out and fluff those totals up...

12z Euro...

I don't trust the Euro with clippers. Last year it had a hard time with them and this past clipper it was weak with the qpf as well.

Edit: It also has been last to the party with the past couple storms so not sure what's going on with that model.

• Like 1

In between. Hopefully the euro is on crack. The ggem should do better with a system originating in Canada. Higher resolution. There right?

Yeah a system in Canada should be handled better by the CMC model.

It is showing like 0.30" of moisture here, which I think is a bit high. 0.2" I can get behind though. 

So far a forecasted 1- <3" here. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

In between. Hopefully the euro is on crack. The ggem should do better with a system originating in Canada. Higher resolution. There right?

I don't trust the Euro with clippers. Last year it had a hard time with them and this past clipper it was weak with the qpf as well.

Edit: It also has been last to the party with the past couple storms so not sure what's going on with that model.

GGEM/NAM were very good last year with Clippers, Euro not so much...tonight High Rez models should get a good handle on this system.  I remember last year there were a couple similar systems like this one and it laid down a broad area of 1-3".  Either way you look at it, this system is a "gift" if you ask me.  Keep building the glacier around this region and the cold has more fire power to stick around for a while.

FOR TOMORROW...CONCERNS WILL BE INCREASING SWLY WINDS AND A CHANCEOF SNOW BY LATE AFTERNOON FROM A MID LEVEL IMPULSE DROPPING OUT OFTHE NRN PLAINS. AT THIS TIME...THE MODELS ARE IN POOR AGREEMENT ONTHE EXACT TIMING OF THE BEGINNING OF SNOW AT THE TERMINALS...BUTTHE GENERAL IDEA IS THAT SNOW SHOULD IMPACT ALL OF THE TERMINALSBEGINNING BY THE LATE MORNING HOURS AT RFD AND THE AFTERNOON HOURSIN THE CHICAGO AREA. SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW IS LIKELY WITH THISSYSTEM.

LOT seems on board with some sort of accumulation, even has RFD in on it. Really wish LOT would have kept the WCW in place, but temps just didn't get cold enough. Anyone think they will actually see WC readings of -33 tonight? I still have a feeling that the low temps will bust and most areas will stay in the single digits below zero. 

18z RGEM looks exciting for our area.

I think its way overdoing snow ratios, but the general idea of the snow shield has been consistent.  BTW, the RGEM nailed the southern shift of the heavy snow band through DSM to Ottawa, IL for the last Clipper.

Maybe better to look at the moisture map for the RGEM and apply a lower snowfall ratio. That map above would suggest 30:1+ ratios!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Nice to get some fresh snow. I think this over performs

Same here...last nights light snow that swept through KC/STL area was not supposed to be all that impressive but if you got underneath those heavy bursts it accumulated pretty quickly.  This system will have a little better moisture supply and it will be falling along another arctic front.  I find these situations bring surprises here and there.