The Weather Forums

April 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For everywhere wondering/speculating about where I have been, I am very flattered We have been on a road trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this week. Took a nice week off before starting a new

Getting married tomorrow so that’s why I’ve not been around a ton of late. Looks like we are about 68F out there and are ready for some much-needed rainfall overnight.

Well I haven't been around in a while. Been a little, erm, preoccupied. Hope everyone's enjoying the sunshine and warmth lately! I'll be in Arizona for the weekend, and hopeful I don't melt!

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think this would have been pretty close to an arctic outbreak had it been November-February. 

Probably followed by a long cold inversion period with a ridge building in.

No doubt.  This was an interesting cold shot.  It's from the same cold air mass that brought the exceptional cold to AK, but it traveled over a fairly short water trajectory before it got here.  The trajectory was short enough that the air mass retained some continental characteristics.

As you say....in the winter this could have been a long cold wave...a real cold / fake cold hybrid.

• Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Sunny and 54 here, a little after 2pm in mid April. Krisp!!!

I could use a few more like this.  In a black long sleeve shirt it feels good in the sun, and this morning was amazing.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Looks like lows got in the teens in the Cle Elum area.  Really impressive.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Got down to 28F. Great stuff and I always like to see colder than normal temps. 48th freeze of the season & 4th of April. Very nice!!

Unfortunately however, we continue to run extremely dry. With 0.06" in the gauge since the month began. If May and June are a blast furnace and July & August follow suit, then I will have totes ready to throw these jerseys in and bags pre-packed. If Jasper Mtn blows up or the area just to the west of Vida on both sides of the McKenzie and also the upper Willamette and we have another east wind event, then everything here will be gone, including the university. I'm not even kidding. We're gonna be 40 fuckkin inches below normal for the past 2 water years combined.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

One interesting thing about the coming pattern is it's not so much +PNA driven as it is -EPO.  Kind of surprising in a way.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Got down to 28F. Great stuff and I always like to see colder than normal temps. 48th freeze of the season & 4th of April. Very nice!!

Unfortunately however, we continue to run extremely dry. With 0.06" in the gauge since the month began. If May and June are a blast furnace and July & August follow suit, then I will have totes ready to throw these jerseys in and bags pre-packed. If Jasper Mtn blows up or the area just to the west of Vida on both sides of the McKenzie and also the upper Willamette and we have another east wind event, then everything here will be gone, including the university. I'm not even kidding. We're gonna be 40 fuckkin inches below normal for the past 2 water years combined.

No doubt this is a very dry April so far and for a good while to come.  This is the first time we have joined you in the dryness in anything but the summer months.

Again...no reason to assume this summer will be that hot.

• lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

5 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

How bad do you low key want Eugene to burn down.

4 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

We'll see.  I'm just a bit suspicious of a low over the GOA surviving that long given the precedent that has been set over the past few months.  The 850 graph does show 850s below normal around the 21st and 22nd.

Euro/EPS will handle this pattern better than the GFS/GEFS, but IMO the upcoming warm pattern should persist through the rest of the month. A cooler/troughier pattern should finally take hold sometime during the first part of May, but until then, I don’t see much support for significant cool weather out there unless it’s backdoor.

• Downvote 1

Looks like 53 / 28 for today.  A big fat -7 departure!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

Euro/EPS will handle this pattern better than the GFS/GEFS, but IMO the upcoming warm pattern should persist through the rest of the month. A cooler/troughier pattern should finally take hold sometime during the first part of May, but until then, I don’t see much support for significant cool weather out there unless it’s backdoor.

I'm just hoping for a cool interlude somewhere in there.  That would be a very unusual period of sustained warmth.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Looks like I'm running -3 for the month to date now.  At least the chilly nights will keep this week from doing too much damage.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like I'm running -3 for the month to date now.  At least the chilly nights will keep this week from doing too much damage.

It’s springtime. Bring on the “damage,” I say!

• Downvote 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

It sounds like this could be enough to have some minor effects.  Even a minor tweak in the overall scheme can have big impacts as you know.  I will be interested to see if it does anything to color up the sunsets and sunrises.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s springtime. Bring on the “damage,” I say!

I'm all for some nice weather.  You can't say it hasn't been nice in spite of the chill at times.  The frost has kept my lawn growing very slowly so far.  Might be a short mowing season with how dry it is.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

The 18z GFS retrogrades a bit and puts us in cooler northerly flow later in the month.  One thing for sure is it's going to be DRY.

• Downvote 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm all for some nice weather.  You can't say it hasn't been nice in spite of the chill at times.  The frost has kept my lawn growing very slowly so far.  Might be a short mowing season with how dry it is.

There’s been plenty of sunshine recently, and there’s more than one type of nice weather. That said, it has yet to crack the 60˚F mark here, and it is now 11 April. I am ready for the coming warm spell. It’s time.

• Downvote 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

I can live with the 18z.  Things cool back down nicely and nights get into frost range again.  I wonder if this will give 1956 a run for its money for dryness.  That one had a 0.86" average for the Puget Sound lowlands.  That was a great year on the whole BTW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

53 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

A source I found on Twitter says Pinatubo emitted somewhere between 14 and 23 Tg of SO2.

https://twitter.com/GrahamGmann/status/1381292391911546886?s=20

Yeah Pinatubo was a beast. Though this eruption has (probably) just started. If it lasts as long as the 1979 eruption, at the current pace, then it’d end up something like 15-25% of Pinatubo’s output.

• Popcorn 3

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Sounds blissful. Meanwhile, we just had our 5th 80+ day of the year. Glad to be leaving this warmth behind for a little while.

It appears several ensemble members bring the cool down a couple of days sooner than the operational GFS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Oh my today...Just amazing!! Look at that deep blue sky...Just look at it!! 
And spring color is starting to happen! 

EC4AFA1F-CDEA-4566-94DD-962314BB76AA.jpeg

52018EDE-7737-4FEE-98BF-6137FD7A0A1B.jpeg

The trees are well behind schedule this year, but starting to come to life a little bit.  Looks like you might be a little ahead of this area.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

Within the week, we’ll probably see the next pattern change (away from warmth) show up on long range guidance.

This +PNA has roughly 3 weeks to run.

• scream 1

In other news, just within the last few days, several hundred of these holes have appeared in our yard.

They’re cicada tunnels, which they start digging roughly one month before they emerge. There will probably be thousands of holes by the end of the week. 

E75279BC-33DF-469E-BE09-D9E757187C7B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Within the week, we’ll probably see the next pattern change (away from warmth) show up on long range guidance.

Of course a +PNA doesn't mean there is a ridge over us nonstop, though. As you have argued before, even "stormy" patterns can technically be a +PNA.

Three weeks from today would take us to very early May.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Of course a +PNA doesn't mean there is a ridge over us nonstop, though. As you have argued before, even "stormy" patterns can technically be a +PNA.

Three weeks from today would take us to very early May.

Yeah I suspect one or two systems will breach the ridge before the larger scale pattern changes.

And given the poleward propagation of +AAM, the next troughy pattern is more likely to deliver some Pacific influence. Won’t be a reincarnation of this dry pattern.

• Excited 1

I can live with the 18z.  Things cool back down nicely and nights get into frost range again.  I wonder if this will give 1956 a run for its money for dryness.  That one had a 0.86" average for the Puget Sound lowlands.  That was a great year on the whole BTW.

Recent dry years like 2015 and 2018 have been some of our worst on record for warm season cool anomalies, though. I guess we could abruptly switch to an early to mid 1950s regime despite global temps being several degrees warmer now but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Recent dry years like 2015 and 2018 have been some of our worst on record for warm season cool anomalies, though. I guess we could abruptly switch to an early to mid 1950s regime despite global temps being several degrees warmer now but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

In theory we could emulate that circulation regime but with slightly warmer mean temperatures everywhere.

• Like 1
  • scream 1
1 minute ago, Phil said:

Yeah I suspect one or two systems will breach the ridge before the larger scale pattern changes.

And given poleward propagation of +AAM, the next troughy pattern is more likely to deliver some Pacific influence. Won’t be a reincarnation of this dry pattern.

That will be good.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

58/28 day here. Pretty impressive spread for a totally clear day this late in the season. A cool, dry west wind kicked up in the afternoon when we were taking a nice walk by Cottonwood Beach in Washougal. 

AFBD89C9-1221-4F60-903B-CDCED08711BF.thumb.jpeg.1bde07b36fc53ea549d744a74220026e.jpeg

33B94BE7-A0EF-4894-BBD3-CB13CA131516.thumb.jpeg.50bef1caed6a6827c909926fa3726c63.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Phil said:

In theory we could emulate that circulation regime but with slightly warmer mean temperatures everywhere.

It seems like the warmer temperatures would make the nature of the circulation regime inherently different by definition but that is getting slightly above my pay grade.

• Angry 1

If all goes to plan, this will be the first “ridgy” pattern of any significance since early December. Not a bad run.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Today was the first Sunday here without precipitation since Valentines day.    

There have been two other Sundays this year without precip... Valentines day and January 10th.   

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

Oh my today...Just amazing!! Look at that deep blue sky...Just look at it!! 
And spring color is starting to happen! 

EC4AFA1F-CDEA-4566-94DD-962314BB76AA.jpeg

52018EDE-7737-4FEE-98BF-6137FD7A0A1B.jpeg

The Sound was a deeper blue with lots O whitecaps today!  Pretty rough out there with the northerly winds !

Had a high of 54* today 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

The Sound was a deeper blue with lots O whitecaps today!  Pretty rough out there with the northerly winds !

Had a high of 54* today 

So nice being protected from the north wind here... it was basically calm here all day which makes it feel so much warmer in the sun.   

• Like 1

Out of the 6 stations the Seattle NWS gives climate data for 5 had record lows today.  Very rare to see that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

35 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It seems like the warmer temperatures would make the nature of the circulation regime inherently different by definition but that is getting slightly above my pay grade.

Given differential heating by latitude, amongst other things, yeah. But that’s just the mean state, which isn’t exactly stable.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Phil said:

As I mentioned earlier the PNA is only going to be +2.  The EPO at -5 is going to be the big driver it appears.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

The trees are well behind schedule this year, but starting to come to life a little bit.  Looks like you might be a little ahead of this area.

Yeah not a lot of color yet in my landscaped areas. I need to look back at last years pics to see if there is much difference. 

DD4B7D8A-710F-4515-8B20-996DAEFE00BA.jpeg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah not a lot of color yet in my landscaped areas. I need to look back at last years pics to see if there is much difference. 

DD4B7D8A-710F-4515-8B20-996DAEFE00BA.jpeg

I took some pics today just for comparison next week.   By next Sunday... its going to look much fuller.   We might be able to get caught up to other years by April 20th.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

The park Is open for catch and release with artificials. The water is cold! 

841F463F-8BE7-411A-A97E-BBD494348916.jpeg

76556A82-366A-4643-98B7-80275DEF1412.jpeg

A187616F-D88F-4A23-9B50-629D440CA3BC.jpeg

• Like 7

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 58.15"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I took some pics today just for comparison next week.   By next Sunday... its going look much fuller.   We might be able to get caught up to other years by April 20th.

Looks like my tree was more in bloom one year ago tomorrow. 

059E9CF0-9EEB-4887-8BFA-FC218A94C5D4.jpeg

B3EB558D-5257-488B-BBA9-5DD114369AE6.jpeg

• Like 5

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 58.15"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

As I mentioned earlier the PNA is only going to be +2.  The EPO at -5 is going to be the big driver it appears.

I view those as part of the same process. Aleutian Low and AK High teleconnect well together.

• Chris unpinned this topic