Jump to content
The Weather Forums

April 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Actually getting a bit discouraged...the interview with the regional director last Tuesday went great, but he wants me to talk to the site engineering manager.....the same site engineering manager who has been dragging his feet for over a month.  The director loved my strong budget/financial background combined with me having my PMP certification, the HR recruiter loves what I offer and says she really wants to get me on board, but but until they actually offer me a job its just lip service.

I talked to another moving company, and I have about 1-2 weeks before the summer rates kick in.  The job market in NH/ME has shifted away from my skillset towards chemical engineering and ex-military type stuff.  Given that I still have not heard anything as of today, I am having to shift gears and focus on a couple of opportunities here that I really can't ignore any more. 

One is at one of the refineries and the other is with a software company.  I'm really trying to not go back into aerospace if I can help it (unless its Space-X or Blue Origin).

Even though I was only laid off this past January, I have been on furlough since last May, so I am coming up on 1 year of not working, and I am so over that!  I have my frustrations with the PNW, but at the end of the day, there are much worse places to be *forced* to live in.  

That said, I'm getting daily e-mails for houses on the market there in the 2,000-3,000 sq ft range on 2+ acres for less than $500k.  Not gonna find that out here, and honestly that's my biggest frustration!

I can definitely say I hate how job searching is done now....upload your resume to a website, and you *might* hear something back.  I miss the good 'ole days of walking into the potential employer, handing your resume to an actual person, and getting the name of someone that I can call and follow up with.

It certainly would be nice to be able to buy a house like that for so little.  I hope this opportunity works out for you.  Still hope it sounds like.

  • Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For everywhere wondering/speculating about where I have been, I am very flattered We have been on a road trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this week. Took a nice week off before starting a new

Getting married tomorrow so that’s why I’ve not been around a ton of late. Looks like we are about 68F out there and are ready for some much-needed rainfall overnight.

Well I haven't been around in a while. Been a little, erm, preoccupied. Hope everyone's enjoying the sunshine and warmth lately! I'll be in Arizona for the weekend, and hopeful I don't melt!

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Rapidly moving brushfire near Oregon City causing some evacuations this afternoon. Early.

Can you imagine how bad it could get if the remainder of the spring is as dry as it's been so far?  The fire danger in late summer would be off the charts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Can you imagine how bad it could get if the remainder of the spring is as dry as it's been so far?  The fire danger in late summer would be off the charts.

You would think the entire region would have burned in 1951.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You would think the entire region would have burned in 1951.   

Might have helped that it wasn't preceded by several of the warmest and driest warm seasons on record.

1951 was also a temperate summer overall, with what looked to be a fair amount of marine influence. Only eight 90+ days at PDX that year, fewer than any summer there since 2011.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like SEA may hit 80.  Not unheard of this time of year, but pretty rare.  The air is so bone dry here with the east wind it doesn't really feel as warm as it is.

Wasn’t there a big heat spike out there in April 2016?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wasn’t there a big heat spike out there in April 2016?

Yes, we had 90+ readings on the westside on April 7. Then more a couple weeks later. It was a record warm month for many stations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Might have helped that it wasn't preceded by several of the warmest and driest warm seasons on record.

1951 was also a temperate summer overall, with what looked to be a fair amount of marine influence. Only eight 90+ days at PDX that year, fewer than any summer there since 2011.

Insanely dry summer here... with large diurnal spreads most of the days    No extreme heat... but it was definitely a sunny summer based on the temperature spreads out here.

And kicked off with a record dry April in this area.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

79 / 47 at SEA today... +20 on the high and good for a +13 on the day.  

 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a brush fire nearby a couple hours ago. Yikes. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 58.15"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Straight up summer day today. Can feel I got a lot of sun the last couple days. 

4509A9F7-9450-458F-A5CD-3D3CA4424DEB.jpeg

B335C81F-AC46-4F54-A754-4A15B1F5106F.jpeg

  • Like 2

Warm Season Stats

+80s-3

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-2.14”

Warm Season Rainfall-5.02”

Warmest high temp-84

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, T-Town said:

70 degrees on the deck with a hazy ipa and some late 70s Grateful Dead on the Sonos. Could be worse. 

It's what life is all about. 

  • Like 1
  • Windy 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Straight up summer day today. Can feel I got a lot of sun the last couple days. 

4509A9F7-9450-458F-A5CD-3D3CA4424DEB.jpeg

B335C81F-AC46-4F54-A754-4A15B1F5106F.jpeg

Nice. Did you camp on the beach?  Pics from the other day gave that impression but that’s tough to come by these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Nice. Did you camp on the beach?  Pics from the other day gave that impression but that’s tough to come by these days. 

Yeah we set up on the beach. 

  • Like 1

Warm Season Stats

+80s-3

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-2.14”

Warm Season Rainfall-5.02”

Warmest high temp-84

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

The 80s were quite snowy here, so not surprising for this area.

And the 80s were very dry in the PNW.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 58.15"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

79/30 for OLM. 

You've been running really warm it sounds like, probably overexposed.

This Mesowest station is close to me (roughly 2 miles or so), however, it is closer to the Chehalis River and most always runs a few degrees cooler during the day and a few degrees warmer at night, give or take. Take it how you want. 

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=E0868&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

83/39

 

  • Like 1
  • Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on recent 'activity' and lack of posts from certain users I'm going to y assume the models are showing 🤮😢. It's funny how predictable this forum is despite the chaos.    Got down to 35F briefly but held around 36F. 

The humidity dropped to 14% this afternoon and was still in the mid 20s most of the evening with a gusty north wind the last few days. That's like Reno! Though they have it  from the canyon every evening.

  • Excited 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Link said:

Based on recent 'activity' and lack of posts from certain users I'm going to y assume the models are showing 🤮😢. It's funny how predictable this forum is despite the chaos.    Got down to 35F briefly but held around 36F. 

The humidity dropped to 14% this afternoon and was still in the mid 20s most of the evening with a gusty north wind the last few days. That's like Reno! Though they have it  from the canyon every evening.

Yeah, but it's spring. Most people disappear for long periods starting in March.

  • Like 1

Tim's hot girl summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a good round of cool / wet weather to finish out the month on the latest model runs.  Looks like this month could really run the gamut for variety when it's all said and done.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, but it's spring. Most people disappear for long periods starting in March.

I'm usually one of them, but this year has my full attention.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

41 degree diurnal! 79/38

You'd think those OLM diurnals are coming from an eastside plateau climate like Burns or Alturas, not a westside sea level location...

This is about as continental as it gets here.  Looks like a couple more days of huge diurnal ranges coming up too.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just looking at my month to date averages and my average low for the first 16 days of April is an impressive 33.9 with the average high being 25 degrees higher.  Those are like Central WA numbers.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of an interesting stat from my back yard. So far this spring I’ve recorded 1 day in the 60s and 3 days in the 70s.  We came very close to skipping right past 60 degree temps after having not recorded a high in the 60s since early November. 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Where has Jesse been? Hope he’s okay.

He's just way more bummed about this pattern than he should be.

  • Sick 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 5

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 23

Lows 32 or below = 55

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 5

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

He's just way more bummed about this pattern than he should be.

Come September, the smoldering ashes of the Willamette Valley will tell the tale.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Actually getting a bit discouraged...the interview with the regional director last Tuesday went great, but he wants me to talk to the site engineering manager.....the same site engineering manager who has been dragging his feet for over a month.  The director loved my strong budget/financial background combined with me having my PMP certification, the HR recruiter loves what I offer and says she really wants to get me on board, but but until they actually offer me a job its just lip service.

I talked to another moving company, and I have about 1-2 weeks before the summer rates kick in.  The job market in NH/ME has shifted away from my skillset towards chemical engineering and ex-military type stuff.  Given that I still have not heard anything as of today, I am having to shift gears and focus on a couple of opportunities here that I really can't ignore any more. 

One is at one of the refineries and the other is with a software company.  I'm really trying to not go back into aerospace if I can help it (unless its Space-X or Blue Origin).

Even though I was only laid off this past January, I have been on furlough since last May, so I am coming up on 1 year of not working, and I am so over that!  I have my frustrations with the PNW, but at the end of the day, there are much worse places to be *forced* to live in.  

That said, I'm getting daily e-mails for houses on the market there in the 2,000-3,000 sq ft range on 2+ acres for less than $500k.  Not gonna find that out here, and honestly that's my biggest frustration!

I can definitely say I hate how job searching is done now....upload your resume to a website, and you *might* hear something back.  I miss the good 'ole days of walking into the potential employer, handing your resume to an actual person, and getting the name of someone that I can call and follow up with.

You could always come work with me! we're running 40 short of our 140 staffing minimums so plenty of room!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like a good round of cool / wet weather to finish out the month on the latest model runs.  Looks like this month could really run the gamut for variety when it's all said and done.

So no 😢 runs then? Good! I was having a heart attack there.  Looks like the models are on a Snow Whiz night mode tonight!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1804197373_download(23).thumb.png.4d7f9cee7724ba02f0421771465f6f1e.png

Tuesday could be a great cloudwatching day. Modest diurnal instability associated with moisture advecting along with an upper level low from the west. Should be a pleasant day with highs in the 60s and lots of bubbly cumulus clouds, and perhaps even a strike of lightning or two, especially near the mountains. Occasionally during these setups, local seabreezes can enhance cumulus development over the city and create some incredible skyscapes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Come September, the smoldering ashes of the Willamette Valley will tell the tale.

I  am hoping we will continue these way cooler then norm nights that will minimize threats despite dryness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Link said:

So no 😢 runs then? Good! I was having a heart attack there.  Looks like the models are on a Snow Whiz night mode tonight!

Should snap back with appreciable rainfall after the next 7-10 days, but the drought situation pretty much everywhere south of Portland is worsening. Hoping that May is a significantly wetter month than April has been so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Chris unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...