The Weather Forums

April 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Where has Jesse been? Hope he’s okay.

He is protesting the dry and warmth...Happens every time we have our first nice period in the spring. 
And he finds it disgusting that some of us are actually enjoying it! He will be back when the rain is back. 

• lol 1
  • scream 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For everywhere wondering/speculating about where I have been, I am very flattered We have been on a road trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this week. Took a nice week off before starting a new

Getting married tomorrow so that’s why I’ve not been around a ton of late. Looks like we are about 68F out there and are ready for some much-needed rainfall overnight.

Well I haven't been around in a while. Been a little, erm, preoccupied. Hope everyone's enjoying the sunshine and warmth lately! I'll be in Arizona for the weekend, and hopeful I don't melt!

Posted Images

SEA is now +0.2 on the month.    It was almost 2 degrees below normal there a couple days ago.   Yesterday alone changed the monthly departure by almost 1 full degree.    April will probably be +3 by Tuesday or Wednesday.    

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

He is protesting the dry and warmth...Happens every time we have our first nice period in the spring. 
And he finds it disgusting that some of us are actually enjoying it! He will be back when the rain is back. 

Where he is at is the border of the drought and has no real reason yet to complain. Down here is the REAL story and it's like late July dry already.  NOT good and the farmers are plowing up the air and it gets in your lungs at late evening/night. 

• Sad 1

Oh and I hope we are not going to have another fire staycation earlier this year.  Big question: Is the snow pack good enough to limit the threat till later in the summer at the very least?

Looks like some rain is finally on the models about a week out. Just 0.39” so far this month...and 3.07” of rain since March 1st. Wouldn’t be surprised if the second half of the spring ended up quite a bit wetter than the first half. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warm Season Rainfall-1.73”

Warmest high temp-80

Beautiful morning in North Bend... trees are catching up fast.     

20210417_085957.jpg

20210417_090437_01.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Yesterday’s max of 73˚F was warmer than our average high for August. Only dropped to 41˚F overnight; warmest night so far of this warm spell.

That’s crazy. Would be the equivalent of us reaching low 90s.

22 minutes ago, Link said:

Oh and I hope we are not going to have another fire staycation earlier this year.  Big question: Is the snow pack good enough to limit the threat till later in the summer at the very least?

Smoke, ashes, death, and destruction are all worth it so long as it’s sunny in Tim’s yard. Nature will do what it wants so why not enjoy it? 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Smoke, ashes, death, and destruction are all worth it so long as it’s sunny in Tim’s yard. Nature will do what it wants so why not enjoy it? 

You need some new material.  ;)

• Like 1
  • scream 1

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You need some new material.  ;)

If anyone needs new material on here...

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 58.15"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

If anyone needs new material on here...

It's Phil.  I will always enjoy any sunny weather nature sends our way here.   

10 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Enjoy the lake!! 

Heading out in about 3 hours... its already almost 70 here!   I just did a Safeway run for snacks and drinks.  :)

• Excited 1

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's Phil.  I will always enjoy any sunny weather nature sends our way here.   

Even if it destroys the south valley down the road.

• Angry 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

10 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Even if it destroys the south valley down the road.

I don't control it.    A lack of water is not an issue up here at all.    

• Sun 1

Side note... its going to be raining next weekend and probably we'll beyond.  All the more reason to enjoy this weekend.  :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Heading out in about 3 hours... its already almost 70 here!   I just did a Safeway run for snacks and drinks.  :)

Lake Sammamish buoy data is still at 54 degrees but enjoy the sun!

• lol 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

19 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Lake Sammamish buoy data is still at 54 degrees but enjoy the sun!

Yeah... no swimming yet.   Although the surface water might be close to 60 by this afternoon.    We are hoping the sand bar is above water.    We are also bringing the tubes to float.    Should be spectacular out there in the low 80s.  

• Like 1

Super typhoon Surigae has gone nuclear. Winds now to 155kts/180mph. That’s a high end Cat5.

Will be interested to see how 18z/00z guidance initializes that, given its a player in the coming jet extension.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Super typhoon Surigae has gone nuclear. Winds now to 155kts/180mph. That’s a high end Cat5.

Will be interested to see how 18z/00z guidance initializes that, given its a player in the coming jet extension.

EzKNHYlUYAcSZdw.thumb.jpg.c5f6b887168d35b604aa74f9f09f72e0.jpg

No kidding...

• Like 3

Got down to 44F last night. Breaking out the shorts today!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I must say it was nice to have the leaves come in so late this year due to abnormally cool weather; a solid change of pace from the last decade. But now that they're coming out, it's starting to look really beautiful. Bring on the altocumulus castellanus clouds and cool, breezy early morning marine stratus decks... Summer is upon us...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Phil said:

Sacrifices must be made.

You just love to play the strawman game and pretend we control the weather.   😁

• Excited 1

That trough next weekend is looking weaker on each run... and its already warm again by day 10.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I must say it was nice to have the leaves come in so late this year due to abnormally cool weather; a solid change of pace from the last decade. But now that they're coming out, it's starting to look really beautiful. Bring on the altocumulus castellanus clouds and cool, breezy early morning marine stratus decks... Summer is upon us...

The difference is crazy. Most trees are way budded out and have come in for a bit now. Must be attributable to the shitt winter we had down this way.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

The difference is crazy. Most trees are way budded out and have come in for a bit now. Must be attributable to the shitt winter we had down this way.

Absolutely. And with that expanded hadley cell, ATE was much higher down your way all winter, even in February and March. Really a deadlock for an earlier boreal spring.

67 here currently. We will see if we can hit 80 today...temp is the same now as it was this time yesterday. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

57 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we had a wetter second half of the spring but we will see. Even wetter than normal conditions in may and June usually aren’t even all that wet. Euro has been showing some rain a week out but they cut the totals back here already. Still too early to call but wouldn’t be shocked if we had a record dry April...hopefully we can make up for it after all this warm dry weather. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.57”

Warmest high temp-80

It's 66 already at Snoqualmie Pass. Skiing there tomorrow should be incredible. Planning on just swim trunks and a sh*tload of sunscreen.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

SEA running 3 degrees cooler than yesterday at Noon.

Feels warmer up here today...But I did not pay attention to the temp yesterday so I cannot confirm. 

• Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

SEA running 3 degrees cooler than yesterday at Noon.

Wind is light and from the west at SEA... yesterday at this time is was N10. 

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That trough next weekend is looking weaker on each run... and its already warm again by day 10.

Thankfully the Euro looks nothing like the control run or it’s own ensemble mean.

In all likelihood, this ridge is dead and gone by next weekend.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thankfully the Euro looks nothing like the control run or it’s own ensemble mean.

In all likelihood, this ridge is dead and gone by next weekend.

The ridge going to break down... you keep saying it like its in question.   Its already been unusually persistent for April.   Question is when will the next one pop up.  ;)

1 hour ago, Phil said:

888 mb according to ATCF. Holy shitt storm for sure. First sub-900 storm on record in the Northern Hemisphere before May 1.

• scream 2
15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The ridge going to break down... you keep saying it like its in question.   Its already been unusually persistent for April.   Question is when will the next one pop up.  ;)

Probably nothing sustained for awhile. Maybe another legitimate ridge the first week of June? Or the end of May? Not sure on timing, but until then, it’s probably just your typical spring pattern with transient ridges here and there, sandwiched in a (mostly) troughy pattern.

Either way, I think this is (probably) the most anomalous PNW ridge until August. At which point the pattern could turn pretty ugly for the tail end of summer and early autumn.

• Weenie 1
1 hour ago, Phil said:

Probably nothing sustained for awhile. Maybe another legitimate ridge the first week of June? Or the end of May? Not sure on timing, but until then, it’s probably just your typical spring pattern with transient ridges here and there, sandwiched in a (mostly) troughy pattern.

Either way, I think this is (probably) the most anomalous PNW ridge until August. At which point the pattern could turn pretty ugly for the tail end of summer and early autumn.

Awesome...

Personal Stats:

Venmo

2 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

888 mb according to ATCF. Holy shitt storm for sure. First sub-900 storm on record in the Northern Hemisphere before May 1.

Wow.

That’s an impressive looking jet on the 18z GFS.

Several inches of rain on the westside, verbatim. Though I wonder if that might eat the cascade snowpack a bit? Boatloads of warm advection with that.

• Storm 1
  • Chris unpinned this topic