The Weather Forums

April 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For everywhere wondering/speculating about where I have been, I am very flattered We have been on a road trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this week. Took a nice week off before starting a new

Getting married tomorrow so that’s why I’ve not been around a ton of late. Looks like we are about 68F out there and are ready for some much-needed rainfall overnight.

Well I haven't been around in a while. Been a little, erm, preoccupied. Hope everyone's enjoying the sunshine and warmth lately! I'll be in Arizona for the weekend, and hopeful I don't melt!

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

13 years ago right now it was graupeling heavily.

I had 4” of snow! And went on the first date with my now wife the next day! 

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

5th straight 70+ degree day at SEA. If tomorrow hits 70, it'll be a new all-time April record for Seattle dating back to the 1800's

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

18z GFS looks stormy out there.

Here is the 10-day loop... not too bad.   Some much needed rain... but its not constant rain and that can certainly happen at this time of the year in my area. 

gfs-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-1618855200-1618866000-1619719200-10.gif

• Rain 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

33 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

21° F with light snow and blowing snow in Cheyenne, Wyoming right now. 

What is blowing snow like? I've never experienced that or being outside during an Arctic front.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

SEA ended up with +10 on the day... so +9, +13, +14, +14, and +10 over the last 5 days.   

• Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

21 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

What is blowing snow like? I've never experienced that or being outside during an Arctic front.

I’ve skied in it before. It’s pretty fun. If the snow is very dry/powdery then strong winds (Wyoming) can easily cause the snow to blow off the ground and limit visibility. 

Doesn’t even have to be snowing to have blowing snow. Sometimes on the Plains you just get really strong wind with powder already on the ground and can still get very low visibility.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Here is the 10-day loop... not too bad.   Some much needed rain... but its not constant rain and that can certainly happen at this time of the year in my area. 

gfs-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-1618855200-1618866000-1619719200-10.gif

Looks like fun. At least it’s better than the current weather there.

20719702-9CC2-4589-B134-B9290D289381.gif

39 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

It’s fun. When I was a kid during nor’easters I’d try to stand in the middle of those snow devils that form near the corners of houses/buildings.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Looks like fun. At least it’s better than the current weather there.

20719702-9CC2-4589-B134-B9290D289381.gif

Anything after day 10 on the 18Z GFS is truly meaningless.   Even after day 7 many times.    The next run could show a huge ridge at 324 hours.   What is coming into sight is a change to a wetter pattern... but the devil is in the details.   Sure hoping nature does not decide to just pound western WA at the expense of OR and CA.   Because that is how it frequently ends up regardless of what the models show a week out.   

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, bainbridgekid said:

5th straight 70+ degree day at SEA. If tomorrow hits 70, it'll be a new all-time April record for Seattle dating back to the 1800's

This kind of anomalous April weather fifty years ago would have been met with awe (and probably drool).

Today, it just feels inevitable, like "oh yeah, that makes sense."

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Phil said:

At least it’s better than the current weather there.

Side note... lots of people have been loving the current weather.   Its been pretty spectacular to have a run of really warm weather in April and watch the landscape completely transform in a couple days.    And as Matt pointed... this was our first ridgy pattern in months.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Anything after day 10 on the 18Z GFS is truly meaningless.   Even after day 7 many times.    The next run could show a huge ridge at 324 hours.   What is coming into sight is a change to a wetter pattern... but the devil is in the details.   Sure hoping nature does not decide to just pound western WA at the expense of OR and CA.   Because that is how it frequently ends up regardless of what the models show a week out.   

Hopefully it’ll pound all of you. Because in reality the entire west coast is parched.

Just now, Phil said:

Hopefully it’ll pound all of you. Because the entire west coast is parched.

No... western WA is doing just fine.    You can hope for whatever you want... but the fact is that when western WA is getting hit hard then its usually at the expense of Oregon and CA.    Particularly at this time of year.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... lots of people have been loving the current weather.   Its been pretty spectacular to have a run of really warm weather in April and watch the landscape completely transform in a couple days.    And as Matt pointed... this was our first ridgy pattern in months.   

Lol I meant better for rainfall.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

No... western WA is doing just fine.    You can hope for whatever you want... but the fact is that when western WA is getting hit hard then its usually at the expense of Oregon and CA.    Particularly at this time of year.   

Soil moisture content is well below average in W-WA too.

IE: Parched.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Soil moisture content is well below average in W-WA too.

IE: Parched.

Its fine here... and it will rain plenty.  

It would be really nice if we could get a storm train going through southern OR and northern CA.   Its probably too late now for SoCal.   And a storm track through that area usually means western WA is drier.

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its fine here... and it will rain plenty.  

It would be really nice if we could get a storm train going through southern OR and northern CA.   Its probably too late now for SoCal.   And a storm track through that area usually means western WA is drier.

Still drier than average. Which after last fire season isn’t exactly good news. But yes, CA needs it more.

B6F26991-C5E7-429B-B581-43B50DF475A3.gif

• Storm 1
  • Sick 1
1 hour ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Haven’t seen a bolt of lightning in 87 years either. :(

4 hours ago, Kayla said:

You just missed this latest front. 28 degrees and snowing right now at 3pm here. Cold air is still really holding on this Spring.

That is so awesome. I oughta book a flight to Cheyenne and rent out an air B&B one of these days for when the next generational blizzard hits.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Phil said:

All in all, the entire western half of the country needs as much rain as it can get.

I agree... except as I have mentioned... when western WA is getting pounded then it usually means the rest of the West is not.   That is generally true overall but even more so at this time of year.    Western WA is doing just fine... but something tells me that western WA is going to be the most anomalously wet region in the West over the next 2 weeks.   And that would be unfortunate.

39 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It’s been amazing!!! 
Had a high of 71

Currently 66. 

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I agree... except as I have mentioned... when western WA is getting pounded then it usually means the rest of the West is not.   That is generally true overall but even more so at this time of year.    Western WA is doing just fine... but something tells me that western WA is going to be the most anomalously wet region in the West over the next 2 weeks.   And that would be unfortunate.

Still better than the current pattern, though.

• Angry 1
1 hour ago, Phil said:

All in all, the entire western half of the country needs as much rain as it can get.

WA is a major water hog. A ONE AND A TWO AND A THREE! WATER HOG! WATER HOG!  (The nation points it's fingers at WA) Will Biden order a water shut off notice for the state of WA? Perhaps a 'fairness' doctrine is needed.

• Popcorn 1
1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

That is so awesome. I oughta book a flight to Cheyenne and rent out an air B&B one of these days for when the next generational blizzard hits.

You'd think more people would go to Cheyenne just to experience weather patterns they can't get at home!

15 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

73/42 sunset with a twist currently underway

BB8ED5A8-1763-4D98-8724-8F8F616434A5.png

Do you have a Nest Smoke Alarm system  as in one of these? Google Nest Protect - Smoke Alarm - Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector - Battery Operated, White - S3000BWES - - Amazon.com

Your camera says Nest on it so I'm curious if you have the full expensive protection system and a fire panel setup....

5 minutes ago, Link said:

Do you have a Nest Smoke Alarm system  as in one of these? Google Nest Protect - Smoke Alarm - Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector - Battery Operated, White - S3000BWES - - Amazon.com

Your camera says Nest on it so I'm curious if you have the full expensive protection system and a fire panel setup....

Negative....just the cameras for my weather addiction.  I’ve got the normal battery first alert alarms scattered throughout the house that go off when I cook 

• Excited 1

Had this pop up on my news feed the other day.....looks kinda ugly.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drought-western-united-states-modern-history/?intcid=CNM-00-10abd1h

I got a letter from my insurance a few weeks ago that said that wildfire coverage is now automatically included in my homeowners policy, and  offered to send out a consultant at no charge to do an assessment of my property.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drought-western-united-states-modern-history/?intcid=CNM-00-10abd1h

I got a letter from my insurance a few weeks ago that said that wildfire coverage is now automatically included in my homeowners policy, and  offered to send out a consultant at no charge to do an assessment of my property.

Be careful with having them come out to your property. Everyone in the Sierra foothills is getting dropped and then 3rd party fire insurance is anywhere from $6k to $25k a year. They only come out for assessments when they cant get a good idea of your area from satellite photos.

• Like 1

Here is an image from that article... sure hope nature keeps focusing all the precip in the West on western WA.  🤔

drought.png

Will be interesting to see if we can hit 70 again would also be a record here. What a stretch of warmth for this time of year. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-3

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-2.14”

Warm Season Rainfall-5.02”

Warmest high temp-84

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

If they're already automatically adding it to your coverage it seems the consultant could only hurt you. Unless they automatically added it at a really high rate.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

Here is another link to a study about megadrought in the West...

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/04/16/climate-driven-megadrought-emerging-western-u-s/

It appears that the last 20 years have been similar to the megadrought from 1575-1603.    It was driven by nature back then but we might be helping it along now.     I guess if people are really concerned about the West as a whole... they might not cheer on La Ninas like they are the greatest thing in the world.   ;)

Nature drove the ancient droughts, and still plays a strong role today. A study last year led by Lamont’s Nathan Steiger showed that among other things, unusually cool periodic conditions over the tropical Pacific Ocean (commonly called La Niña) during the previous megadroughts pushed storm tracks further north, and starved the region of precipitation.

Also interesting note about population booming over the last 100 years...

Tucked into the researchers’ data: the 20th century was the wettest century in the entire 1200-year record. It was during that time that population boomed, and that has continued. “The 20th century gave us an overly optimistic view of how much water is potentially available,” said Cook. “It goes to show that studies like this are not just about ancient history. They’re about problems that are already here.”

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

CMC is a firehose.

At long last, the biosphere gets its stimulus check.

3215A398-13B9-4CFC-8E88-67DD17BD6A81.png

Except it's the Canadian model and likely way overstated. 

Regardless... it appears western WA is the focus which is the norm.

• Sad 1

A Nino might really help the situation down south... too bad that is not in the cards for the next decade at least.  👍

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Here is another link to a study about megadrought in the West...

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/04/16/climate-driven-megadrought-emerging-western-u-s/

It appears that the last 20 years have been similar to the megadrought from 1575-1603.    It was driven by nature back then but we might be helping it along now.     I guess if people are really concerned about the West as a whole... they might not cheer on La Ninas like they are the greatest thing in the world.   ;)

Nature drove the ancient droughts, and still plays a strong role today. A study last year led by Lamont’s Nathan Steiger showed that among other things, unusually cool periodic conditions over the tropical Pacific Ocean (commonly called La Niña) during the previous megadroughts pushed storm tracks further north, and starved the region of precipitation.

Also interesting note about population booming over the last 100 years...

Tucked into the researchers’ data: the 20th century was the wettest century in the entire 1200-year record. It was during that time that population boomed, and that has continued. “The 20th century gave us an overly optimistic view of how much water is potentially available,” said Cook. “It goes to show that studies like this are not just about ancient history. They’re about problems that are already here.”

There are numerous studies on Holocene era North American mega-droughts. Hard to say we’re definitively “helping along” the current drought, given the ongoing drought is of much lower amplitude than the Medieval mega-droughts (which at peak affected a huge portion of the North American continent..basically all of modern day USA from coast to coast, and the southwestern half of Canada). 

Also that La Niña inference is silly. What drove those droughts was an expansion of the West-Pacific Warm Pool/North Pacific Hadley Cells, the former of which can be associated with a stronger Walker Cell/Niña pattern in the tropics, but actually teleconnects to +NAM/+TNH type pattern which distinctly opposes the -ENSO climo WT response over North America.

In reality, ENSO is a short term phenomenon, and Mega-Droughts/Warm Pool/z-cell vacillation cycles are longer term. It actually had little to with ENSO, and had more to do with long term harmonics. La Niña events during the LIA didn’t behave like La Niñas in the MWP.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Except it's the Canadian model and likely way overstated. 

Regardless... it appears western WA is the focus which is the norm.

The Canadian isn’t any worse than the GFS, bro.

• Popcorn 1
  • Windy 1
3 minutes ago, Phil said:

There are numerous studies on Holocene era North American mega-droughts. Hard to say we’re definitively “helping along” the current drought, given the ongoing drought is of much lower amplitude than the Medieval mega-droughts (which at peak affected a huge portion of the North American continent..basically the entire of modern day USA and the SW half of Canada). 

Also that La Niña inference is silly. What drove those droughts was an expansion of the West-Pacific Warm Pool/North Pacific Hadley Cells, the former of which can be associated with a stronger Walker Cell/Niña pattern in the tropics, but actually teleconnects to +NAM/+TNH type pattern which distinctly opposes the -ENSO climo WT response over North America.

In reality, ENSO is a short term phenomenon, and Mega-Droughts/Warm Pool/z-cell vacillation cycles are longer term. It actually had little to with ENSO, and had more to do with long term harmonics. La Niña events during the LIA didn’t behave like La Niñas in the MWP.

And yet... a Nino would probably be a good thing for SW US.   A Nina sure did not help the situation.   

• Chris unpinned this topic