January 29-February 2nd Winter Storm

Money

Mike Caplan now riding 5-6" total.

He is the one to jump to conclusions. The global models seemed to dry up a bit today, but 5-6 is still too conservative. I'm going to ride the 6-10 inches that LOT is going with and I think ORD will hit 8 inches. SREF Mean actually went up to 7 inches will most of the plumes between 8-9 for ORD.

He is the one to jump to conclusions. The global models seemed to dry up a bit today, but 5-6 is still too conservative. I'm going to ride the 6-10 inches that LOT is going with and I think ORD will hit 8 inches. SREF Mean actually went up to 7 inches will most of the plumes between 8-9 for ORD.

He was referencing less moisture, faster movement, and the mixing line as reasons for lowering snow expectations.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

Been prowling on the site for years and years but never posted.   Makes you wonder how many are following this blog from the shadows.   What a winter its been though - and it keeps getting better.  

One favor to ask - so many of us post about how a storm will hit them, miss them to the north, be stronger to the east, etc. but they don't have their location listed in their profile.  It would help a lot for the frequent bloggers to have their locations in their profile so we know where they're at and can better figure out how the weather is behaving around them.   Just a friendly suggestion from a long time fellow weatherhound.  

• Like 1

Been prowling on the site for years and years but never posted.   Makes you wonder how many are following this blog from the shadows.   What a winter its been though - and it keeps getting better.  

One favor to ask - so many of us post about how a storm will hit them, miss them to the north, be stronger to the east, etc. but they don't have their location listed in their profile.  It would help a lot for the frequent bloggers to have their locations in their profile so we know where they're at and can better figure out how the weather is behaving around them.   Just a friendly suggestion from a long time fellow weatherhound.  

Hey welcome and thanks for being with us! :)

Yes we like everyone who has not done so to add there locations for reason above. It will make it much easier to know the location where the discussion/observation is coming from.

DTX is saying High-End Advisory with good chance of upgrade but they cant seem to get into agreement on this bullsh*t freezing rain/rain situation. Plus all the snow today compacted down as we reached 34 degrees. I hate loses snow right before you get new snow, does nothing for the snowpack. I need the EXPERTS here to tell me..im in SW Oakland county in SEMI. Whats your opinions on me staying all snow and how much?

Met from americanwx:

The latest guidance is not necessarily the best guidance. The 00z runs before the March 5th event last year backed off fairly significantly on qpf, only to be completely wrong. QPF is what the models do worst, so I highly doubt there's gonna be any downgrades based off a few runs of the NAM. The forcing parameters are what's important, not specific qpf totals.

• Like 1

Met from americanwx:

Mass freak out on the Americanwx forums. I'm glad we're not like that lol. We'll see what LOT does. I say they trim amounts, but keep the Warning pretty much everywhere. Canceling warning for some counties would be pretty extreme.

I believe N IL will be just fine.  Just do a comparison (as I did) to how far north the precip shield is compared to where the model believed snow would be falling right now over KS/NE.  It actually had no snow whatsoever at this time on the model in NE.  It goes to show you that a model is all but a virtual reality of what it believes will happen and in order to forecast we need some human touch to it.

FXUS63 KLOT 010221

AFDLOT

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

821 PM CST FRI JAN 31 2014

.DISCUSSION...

800 PM CST

ONLY MADE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS WITH THIS UPDATE. RAISED POPS AND SNOW

AMOUNTS FOR AREAS SOUTH OF I-80 TO ACCOUNT FOR THE STRONGER

BANDING OCCURRING. NOTE HOWEVER...STILL THINKING STORM TOTAL SNOW

AMOUNTS FOR AREAS SOUTH OF I-80 WERE NOT CHANGED AND STILL REMAIN

IN THE 2 TO 6 RANGE. THE BANDING IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH

THIS EVENING BEFORE DISSIPATING.

LOWERED POPS ACROSS THE IL/WI STATE LINE THIS EVENING AS THE SNOW

IS ADVANCING A BIT SLOWER THAN EXPECTED. NOW EXPECTING SNOW TO

REACH THE STATE LINE OVERNIGHT.

EVERYTHING ELSE REMAINS ON TRACK INCLUDING THE ONGOING HEADLINES.

NEW MODEL RUNS HAVE SHIFTED FEATURES FARTHER SOUTH AND/OR HINTED

AT LESS QPF...BUT AM HESITANT TO MAKE MAJOR CHANGES RIGHT NOW.

THEREFORE LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE.

• Like 1

Time to stop watching the models and watching the radar. Not worried about any adjustments in the models at this time. '

Did want to post this though.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Skilling just said on air - earlier model runs have been/can be better than the ones right before an event. Take the newest model runs with a grain of salt.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"