1/25 Great Lakes Clipper

Tom

12z GFS going even farther south and a bit less snow...the result from a deepening trough in the East is causing the system to dig farther west and south.  Models should be getting a good handle on this system by tomorrow morning's runs.

• Like 1

The GFS has taken quite a leap southwest.  Unfortunately, the surface air will be marginal for accumulating snow in Iowa.  The Euro continues to have us in the mid 30s during the best precip.  A few degrees colder and this would be a potential 3-5" snowfall.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It's amazing how much this clipper has shifted south/west the past couple of days.

Will take all wecan get here. Will be interesting how afternoon disco's go here in C.iA. Still all rain here and surrounding areas in the grids..

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It's amazing how much this clipper has shifted south/west the past couple of days.

So much for your "Dab" in your back yard...Clippers have trended south over time, esp this year and last year overall.  This one especially has shift hundreds of miles from GRB a couple days ago, to now possibly DVN getting some accumulation.

12z UK has shifted sw some as well, especially for those of us in Iowa.

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/accum/PA_024-072_0000.gif

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Well, the 12z Euro did not move sw at all.  It's actually drier for Iowa and has the snow northeast of us.

12z Euro...it also drops temps during the day on Sunday into the mid 20's for N IL when the snow is falling and the winds turn in off the lake.  The set up for lake enhancement is look more promising and could be a longer duration event (18 hours or so with winds off the lake)

Interesting run on the 18z NAM...increases snowfall as it dives SE....same as the Euro has been trending in previous runs.

It taps into some Pacific moisture as it dives south. The NAM is finally showing the nice banding I was talking about yesterday. Lake enhancement is the wild card in all of this definitely.

It taps into some Pacific moisture as it dives south. The NAM is finally showing the nice banding I was talking about yesterday. Lake enhancement is the wild card in all of this definitely.

LE definitely still has my attention. With warm lake waters and crashing 850's and the winds off the lake for a decent period of time, this could be a nice hit for someone.

• Like 1

LE definitely still has my attention. With warm lake waters and crashing 850's and the winds off the lake for a decent period of time, this could be a nice hit for someone.

Yup, delta T's don't look too bad either.  These are the type of Clippers our area in NE IL/SE WI wish for.  Back on Halloween I was hoping we would see this type of pattern cycle back through....and here it is.  Hope the track stays put.

Not at all pity...just find it hilarious that this is what our storm tracking has come to. As far as I'm concerned this winter has been great considering I walk dogs for a living. Still love snow but at some point the pattern is what it is. For 2 years we have been clippered to death praying for a phase only to watch more potential go out the window.

After seeing the local mets RPM models, you can see them picking up on lake enhancement.  I'm expecting tomorrow the High Rez models to show more of this as we get closer to the event.  Very nice set up with strong winds off the lake (gusts up to 30-35mph).  Might have some lolipop 6"+ totals lakeside.

• Like 1

Just now looking at that the models today. Trends are looking good for something more than 3" finally!

ABC weather news crew is going with 2-5" I saw.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"