February 3rd-4th Plains Winter Storm

clintbeed1993

I definitely don't have a good feeling about this event guys.  I think it is best for us all to expect the least and then be excited if we get more than expected.  Much better feeling than having high expectations only to be crushed in the end, which seems to happen a lot around these parts.

I agree, even though it is nice to wake up and see an unexpected dusting at 4:30am... I was figuring with the dry air/virga yesterday that we wouldn't see enough snow to cover the ground until after early morning. Calling for 3-5 in Omaha, 4-6 in Lincoln. Big winners as mentioned - Kansas City metro - I say 8-10 inches across the KC metro from this one. Next! LOL

Gabel23 getting rocked right now it looks like! Wouldn't be surprised if they upgrade your area to a WWA. Jc, I think that might needa be shifted over Lincoln, the heaviest of the snow is forming to our SW and due south and basically whipping around Northwest. Would love to get in on some of those snowfall rates.

• Like 2

Gabel23 getting rocked right now it looks like! Wouldn't be surprised if they upgrade your area to a WWA. Jc, I think that might needa be shifted over Lincoln, the heaviest of the snow is forming to our SW and due south and basically whipping around Northwest. Would love to get in on some of those snowfall rates.

Just drove back from Rising, I teach over there at the middle school, visibility around a half a mile. Flakes are very small but it's blowing around with ease. Heavy bands setting up right over you guys in Lincoln and that will be pivoting right into my area! I would be shocked if they don't up grade you guys. I'm thinking my area ends up just shy of that but I will be fine with that if I finish with 3-5" which I'm predicting. By the way school closed at 1:30 for me if you didn't catch that; another snow day for this teacher!! Have fun boys, finally getting something worth a darn! 

It looks to me the 18z nam is further north; I'm now in the 6" range! 

Not too disappointed in this system... Drive home from Lincoln to SW Omaha this afternoon was tough, and very slow going. I didn't expect the winds to be so much of an issue, as everything stated that the winds wouldn't be much of an issue til 5-6pm. Very hard to estimate how much snow has fallen, but I guess 2-3 in the Millard area, and looks like another 2, maybe 3 in the works. Just had a nice burst of snow about 5 minutes ago, probably was putting down .75 to one inch an hour. Not a great storm, but servicable for this area.

NE Kansas is just getting hammered.  

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/uppermissvly_loop.php

RELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOPEKA KS
543 PM CST TUE FEB 04 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0445 PM SNOW 3 SW MANHATTAN 39.15N 96.61W
02/04/2014 E  11.0 INCH RILEY KS PUBLIC

0500 PM SNOW W FORT RILEY AIRFIELD 39.06N 96.76W
02/04/2014 E  8.0 INCH GEARY KS PUBLIC

0525 PM SNOW W JUNCTION CITY 39.03N 96.83W
02/04/2014 E  10.0 INCH GEARY KS PUBLIC

0540 PM SNOW 2 N MANHATTAN 39.21N 96.57W
02/04/2014 M  10.0 INCH RILEY KS BROADCAST MEDIA

NE Kansas is just getting hammered.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/uppermissvly_loop.php

RELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOPEKA KS

543 PM CST TUE FEB 04 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0445 PM SNOW 3 SW MANHATTAN 39.15N 96.61W

02/04/2014 E 11.0 INCH RILEY KS PUBLIC

0500 PM SNOW W FORT RILEY AIRFIELD 39.06N 96.76W

02/04/2014 E 8.0 INCH GEARY KS PUBLIC

0525 PM SNOW W JUNCTION CITY 39.03N 96.83W

02/04/2014 E 10.0 INCH GEARY KS PUBLIC

0540 PM SNOW 2 N MANHATTAN 39.21N 96.57W

02/04/2014 M 10.0 INCH RILEY KS BROADCAST MEDIA

I live in manhattan and we are doing very nicely :)

at about 3" and if the radar trends hold up it's going to be hard to get much more than an inch or inch and a half. very small light flakes blowing around. even if it snows until the middle of the night like what they are talking about it is going to be hard to get more than that. snow started earlier and heavier than first thought, but it's ending up about where I thought and it's definitely a disappointment we didn't get more. but I guess something more than an inch is better than nothing when you are sitting at 6" for the year prior to this storm

Not too disappointed in this system... Drive home from Lincoln to SW Omaha this afternoon was tough, and very slow going. I didn't expect the winds to be so much of an issue, as everything stated that the winds wouldn't be much of an issue til 5-6pm. Very hard to estimate how much snow has fallen, but I guess 2-3 in the Millard area, and looks like another 2, maybe 3 in the works. Just had a nice burst of snow about 5 minutes ago, probably was putting down .75 to one inch an hour. Not a great storm, but servicable for this area.

I'm up to 4" and still snowing light to moderate. The winds were for sure stronger than they were predicting; gusts up to 40 was not in the forecast. I would have to say a very pleasing result overall especially since Hastings was calling for 1-3 on my grid with winds 10-15 gusts to 25!  :lol:

Ended with about 3 inches in Hastings.  Was hoping for a bit more, but can't complain.  Brings my total to about 6.5 for the past week.  Not bad at all.  Hoping we can get one big storm this winter.  We are still due for a 6+ storm.  I don't ever remember a winter where we didn't see at least 1 big snowstorm.  Even the winter of 2011/2012 had a huge storm.  Still waiting for that elusive Colorado Low.  I remember some of our biggest storms coming in late February over the past few winters.  Maybe we can score once again in a few weeks.