Super Bowl Weekend Major Snowstorm

Tom

Ok so you are talking about the people that were all over the 0z runs to because they will be complaining about the models as well if they are incorrect.

And favoring seasonal trends is different than just jumping on a model

Yes, I think we can all agree that the models have not performed well this winter. Because of this, I am going to wait until 48 hours out to either see if there is a storm there or write it off. Making blanket statements based on 1 model run is crazy whether it favors a storm or not.

In that case, we shouldn't even have a storm thread out as it's pointless to talk about snowstorm potential in general this year.

This actually isn't too far off.  I would suggest not making any storm thread longer than 24 hours out with the way things have gone this year.

In that case, we shouldn't even have a storm thread out as it's pointless to talk about snowstorm potential in general this year.

I would disagree. When a model shows the potential of a storm I do think it is worthy of discussion. I think some people lose the fact that if a storm is showing up 96 hours out each model run will adjust.

I think the point FV is making is the same people who have been complaining about the models always being wrong, are the ones proclaiming the models are right today for a snowstorm on Sunday.

I think the point FV is making is the same people who have been complaining about the models always being wrong, are the ones proclaiming the models are right today for a snowstorm on Sunday.

To be clear I am not favoring these specific runs of the NAM and GFS.  I would favor seasonal trends in a set up like this..

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2015012812&time=72&var=ASNOWI&hour=126

This is representative of this storm, a very small 3"+ area (luckily it's in SE Wisconsin) so not much of a storm when we're talking the subforum as a whole.

Tom is wishcasting I think, but most people on here who are expressing their frustration toward those of us riding seasonal trends probably just want to see it play out before punting the potential, which I understand.

Come on man, how can you say that when I had this storm on my radar 2 weeks ago and when it finally appears in the models I'm a wishcaster???  Even GoSaints said he hopes I score a coupe with this storm.  There is no doubt in my mind this will be a significant system esp now since we got the blocking appearing with a -AO/-NAO during this period and the jet stream reaching its seasonal peak intensity.

• Like 1

Come on man, how can you say that when I had this storm on my radar 2 weeks ago and when it finally appears in the models I'm a wishcaster???  Even GoSaints said he hopes I score a coupe with this storm.  There is no doubt in my mind this will be a significant system esp now since we got the blocking appearing with a -AO/-NAO during this period and the jet stream reaching its seasonal peak intensity.

Well of course we hope, but you've been talking up this winter all along, hundreds of posts on a cold and snowy winter, and even when faced with crappy realities, you have stubbornly refused to believe that this is a trend.  I know why you idolize JB, but he is not a forecaster to idolize, he is full of hype, and you've learned from him.

was reading the GGEM has poor resolution at lower latitudes and is the worst model to use for cutoffs

GGEM was THE first model who had this storm on it's radar back last Friday and has been very consistent with the overall pattern closing out January and opening up February.  GFS/EURO were flip flopping with a warmer look in the extended until the past couple days were they have both now gone colder.

Well of course we hope, but you've been talking up this winter all along, hundreds of posts on a cold and snowy winter, and even when faced with crappy realities, you have stubbornly refused to believe that this is a trend.  I know why you idolize JB, but he is not a forecaster to idolize, he is full of hype, and you've learned from him.

December was a big bust and I've admitted to it, big deal, ppl get it wrong sometimes but Winter isn't over yet so we still have time to make up for a dismal winter that has transpired thus far.

Of course I hope you score a coup

GGEM was THE first model who had this storm on it's radar back last Friday and has been very consistent with the overall pattern closing out January and opening up February.  GFS/EURO were flip flopping with a warmer look in the extended until the past couple days were they have both now gone colder.

It also tended to overamp systems we've had on the radar in the last month or two like the GFS and its ensembles while the Euro tended to be much less impressed.  If the Euro follows the GFS/NAM with not much of an event, it's hard for me to not consider the GEM a major outlier.

Really crazy in here on how folks are jumping ship over 1 suite of runs, especially the NAM at 84hrs???? and the Euro not in yet. Some have mentioned that 0z must have ingested bad data, did you guys think the other way around that 12z was bad data...just saying it goes both ways. This storm is still a ways off guys and models have been fluctuating all winter long and on a daily basis so bad runs are to be expected.

I'm not leaning towards any camp or model right now as I don't have a clue on what's going to happen. You can go with the trends of late or you can say that each storm is different and this storm might be the start of a new trend...who knows. I would love for the 0z runs to verify and the 12z Gem is pretty sweet and it would be nice for the Midwest to "finally" have a decent storm so time will tell.

What I have noticed on the models is that they are trending colder and stormier in the long range and maybe, just maybe February will be our start to winter!

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was saying Tony. If you want to flip out after the GFS came back awful, I understand, but there were people flipping out over the 12z NAM. The worst model out of the big 5, and it doesn't even become reliable until 24 hours out most of the time. That's what set me off. 

• Like 3