Super Bowl Weekend Major Snowstorm

Tom

Received 1.75" since 4:00am...storm total 4.5"....waiting for the colder air to filter on in to turn this snow into more powdery snow.  Probably a good idea to go and shovel this first round.  

As for the Lehs snowfall, I'm seeing the colder air farther north up towards GRB is contributing o some decent Lehs.  Let's see how this unfolds later this morning.  Gosh, waking up this morning and seeing everything dumped on with a nice cover of snow put a smile on my face.  Now here come the Blizzard conditions!

The southern burbs of Chicago getting hammered in a nice band of 25-30dbz snowfall rates.  Easyily 1"+ per hour rates.

Southern burbs to Kankakee could be the jack?

Quite possibly, but I'm noticing the radar filling up in NE IL.  Surprisingly the southern burbs have only had about 1-1.5" more than the northern burbs even with the higher reflectivity down in the southern burbs.  Could be because the temps down there are near freezing while the northern burbs already near 30F and dropping into upper 20's.

ORD visibility down to 1/2 mile at the moment.

Quite possibly, but I'm noticing the radar filling up in NE IL. Surprisingly the southern burbs have only had about 1-1.5" more than the northern burbs even with the higher reflectivity down in the southern burbs. Could be because the temps down there are near freezing while the northern burbs already near 30F and dropping into upper 20's.

ORD visibility down to 1/2 mile at the moment.

Ya you are defiantly going to cash in. Think the Iowa dry slot will fill and be pretty small. You should have no problem going 10-12. How close to the lake are you ?

Tom, what point of the day looks to give us the highest snowfall rates? And do you think most of northern Il will get to 10 inches? Thanks for the info!

Snowfall rates already starting to increase, peak intensity should be around 9am thru 6pm.  The storm should be just west of STL right around Noon when the best "lift" will be over N IL.

• Like 1

Ya you are defiantly going to cash in. Think the Iowa dry slot will fill and be pretty small. You should have no problem going 10-12. How close to the lake are you ?

I'm just north of ORD (about 2 miles), NW suburbs outside of the city proper.  I'm thinking 12-15" a good bet in my area.  Will be interesting if the Lehs picks up later today.  00z Euro showing it much better last run in NE IL later this afternoon.

FWIW, here was the 00z Euro precip...

Snowfall intensity really picking up now, visibility is dropping quickly around here...temps now dropping into the upper 20's and snow is getting fluffier.  I think the lake is starting to work it's magic.

06z WRF going nuts with Lehs for Cook/Lake/Kenosha counties...