February 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Still snowing outside here in SEMI. About to end. Everything is buried. 18.1". WOW!. Excellent storm.  :D

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

With the official tally at ORD of 19.3" from the Super Bowl Blizzard, the total for the season has reached 34.8"!  After the Clipper Tue/Wed, ORD may reach NORMAL for the entire season and we have 2 months of winter left.

Speaking of Winter, JB posted this Brazilian Meteogram for Chicago.  The model is seeing temps hit 32F or higher 1 day in Feb, maybe 5 days in March!  Obviously use this is a cold signal.  Plenty of chances for more snow over the next couple months.  It will be interesting to see how much snow ORD ends up this season....50"+???

With such a deep and widespread snow cover in the region, I'm worried when the LRC's cold phase hits in about a week for a good 2-3 week period, some severe cold may be in store.  We didn't have this much snow around in Cycle #2 in early January, I think this round may be even colder, esp if the Blocking locks up.

Really made up for the snow deficit that was running. Up to 28.4" now for the season.

Nice picture Snowshoe. Love how the river is "steaming" in the background.

Couple inches tomorrow night won't be nothing!  ;)

12z GFS.

post-7-0-42349100-1422900035_thumb.gif

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

12z Euro continues to build the Glacier this month with systems every 2-3 days across the Central CONUS.  Next weekends system is looking more and more interesting!  Feb 7-9th had been my target period about a week ago for a substantial system.  Euro has been seeing it over the last couple days.  Looks like a cold system with winds off the lake!

12z Euro taking baby steps in developing next weekends storm system...

There will be a fight between arctic air and warmth building into the Plains late this week into next weekend until the LRC hits its stride.

could see a nice hybrid forming at some point.  

Bingo!  Euro has been getting stronger/wetter each run for the Sat/Sun system...the snow pack around here now I think will start to affect the regional climate and cool the atmosphere quite a bit.  There could be an active pattern setting up in our region.  I think we are on the verge of a Backloaded snowfall season.

Bingo!  Euro has been getting stronger/wetter each run for the Sat/Sun system...the snow pack around here now I think will start to affect the regional climate and cool the atmosphere quite a bit.  There could be an active pattern setting up in our region.  I think we are on the verge of a Backloaded snowfall season.

What's the Euro showing for temps Tom in the long range? GFS is showing a pretty decent warm up for the central plains starting this weekend. I'm hoping its wrong, I don't want my Glacier to melt!!! 

Utilizing the East Asian Theory and the LRC, the next 3-4 weeks are going to be the Winter's worst conditions IMO.  The last 4 consecutive runs of the GFS continues an onslaught of cold/stormy systems targeting Japan.  We are now beginning the wettest part of this year's LRC and it's no surprise the Super Bowl Blizzard delivered.

Looking out over the next 10 days and beyond, several systems to be monitored over a large majority of our region.  We have yet to see our friend from up north, the Polar Vortex, but signals out in East Asia suggest an invasion during the Feb 15-17th period for the U.S.  Coincidentally, that is during the "heart" of this year's cold phase of the LRC.

What's the Euro showing for temps Tom in the long range? GFS is showing a pretty decent warm up for the central plains starting this weekend. I'm hoping its wrong, I don't want my Glacier to melt!!! 

Western NE warms up the most with the lack of snow cover next Fri/Sat.  E NE gets into the low 40's for a day or two.  The more we can build the snow pack, the less efficient any warm ups may become.

LOT mentions this

A SECONDARY BOUNDARY WILL THEN BEGIN TO DIVE SOUTH FROM CANADA LATE
TUE...WITH A SHARPENING BAROCLINIC ZONE ORIENTED WEST TO EAST ALONG
A NEBRASKA TO NORTHERN IN LINE. THE BETTER FORCING APPEARS TO BE
WELL WEST OF THE CWFA EARLY WED...BUT EC/GFS/NAM DIFFER ON
PLACEMENT/TIMING OF PRECIP/SNOW FOR WED. ENSEMBLES ARE DEMONSTRATING
HIGH UNCERTAINTY ON THE TIMING/PLACEMENT OF THE BETTER PRECIP WITH
THE BOUNDARY WED. THAT BEING SAID...THERE IS SOME CONCERN THAT THIS
FEATURE COULD STRENGTHEN AS IT SLIDES SOUTH ACROSS THE FORECAST
AREA.

It will be interesting to see how this develops

If you want to compare the pattern post 2015 Super Bowl Blizzard vs. 2011 GHD Blizzard, I'd say this year the pattern looks much more favorable to keep this deep snow pack around.  Back in 2011, the deep snow pack melted by mid February, this year it may not melt till sometime in March!  I'd say this year is a winner.

That seems a bit high for Lincoln, models have the best forcing way out West near Kearney.

The Euro is further east, the NAM in the middle, and the GFS furthest west and south. Our AFD said changes are likely with the clipper and it's path and it's going to be a narrow band. The Euro gives .3" of qpf which would probably be close to 5" for Omaha but the GFS is much lighter

DMX mentioned the snowpack deal for the system tomorrow to mainly affect NE IA and surrounding regions--MODELS IN GENERAL AGREEMENT WITH

TRACK OF STORM ACROSS NORTHERN IOWA/SOUTHERN MN. BUT WITH THE FAST

MOVING FLOW AND RECENT SIGNIFICANT SNOWPACK OVER OUR AREA...THERE IS

SOME POTENTIAL FOR A SLIGHT SOUTHWARD SHIFT DUE TO A STRONGER

TEMPERATURE GRADIENT ACROSS THE AREA.

Good times ahead!!

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Funny!

Jimmy the Groundhog bites Sun Prairie mayor | News - http://t.co/enQ3exqNTG http://t.co/HJQ5udw0Fy

— Justin Conner (@kellner_gis) February 2, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dang! I guess he didn't want to come out into the cold today! lol

---

LOT going with 2-3" now up this way. Next thing you know it will be 3-5".

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

After the Super Bowl Blizzard, no storm is going to look very impressive to me anymore this winter. I'm now more interested on getting the snow pack as deep as possible. Having another 6+ snowstorm would be nice, but I'm okay if it comes in 1-3 inch type events.