2/4 - 2/5 Clipper System

Tom

It's not often the Plains get a "Clipper" type system.  Nonetheless, 00z NAM advertising some intense banding and up to 2"/hr snowfall rates in C NE.  Let's discuss.

Sometimes these strong cold fronts can produce some very intense banding where the low level jet comes up.  Right along Interstate 80 looks like the best place to be for this one, which happens to be where I'm at.

It is pretty amazing though.  You are right Tom, Nebraska usually doesn't get much from clipper type events.  This one actually looks to have decent moisture to work with and ratios should be around 15:1.

The 00z NAM snow map above sorta shows it (but 57 hrs out shows it better) how the snow tracks this winter absolutely despise the I-70 corridor through northeast KS on into MO.  Snows tracks are north or south or east or in this case simply skip over the area along the interstate. It gets quite comical looking at the models...  :D ;)

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

This would be a solid clipper if it pans out.  I can't recall ever getting much more than 2" of snow from a clipper. Hoping this a system that produces 3-6" along I-80 and north/south of it by 50 miles. Going to be an extremely tight gradient for snowfall on this clipper it looks like. If anything hopefully this thing gets juiced up as we approach the event. 

Across Nebraska, GFS is way further west and south, NAM is in the middle, and the 12Z Euro was furthest north and east. Anyone have the snowfall for this system only from the Euro?

Hastings AFD said 30-40 mph winds on Wed afternoon behind the snow.

Looks close for Omaha, would feel better if the GFS wasn't so far west since the other models could pull that way too. Such a narrow band! Right now I have 1-3" and 80% chance in my grid

Oz gfs puts me @ 6-7 inches. I would lock that amount in if I could. Wonder about advisories being issued tomorrow? Winter storm watch possibly? Any thoughts?

Was jist about to point out that you're in the bullseye on the GFS. I think lincoln can just possibly get in on the heavy action, just need a 20 mile shift north from the GFS. Man, this band is going to be wayy to narrow for me. It's like omaha and lincoln couldn't possibly both do good with it it's that narrow. But man, whoever gets under the heaviest is going to have the best snowpack since 2009

Was having some fun with my new Google Earth Pro. Decided to overlay the 0z NAM map on Nebraska to give the Plains members an idea where this stronger Clipper is currently forecasted to go.

post-7-0-77985800-1422935779_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Was having some fun with my new Google Earth Pro. Decided to overlay the 0z NAM map on Nebraska to give the Plains members an idea where this stronger Clipper is currently forecasted to go.

attachicon.gifNE snow 4-5.jpg

Nice Geos! That's actually pretty sick. I might try and download that! Be a lot easier to pinpoint exactly where the snow falls. Wxcaster showing an 8-10" blob with the NAM. I'm not jumping the gun, nor am I excited just yet. If that happened though, would be a heck of a clipper, haven't had one of those drop anything near these projected totals since 2011. 

EDIT: Can't believe I haven't been able to figure this out, but how do you attach saved pictures from your desktop?!

Nice Geos! That's actually pretty sick. I might try and download that! Be a lot easier to pinpoint exactly where the snow falls. Wxcaster showing an 8-10" blob with the NAM. I'm not jumping the gun, nor am I excited just yet. If that happened though, would be a heck of a clipper, haven't had one of those drop anything near these projected totals since 2011. 

EDIT: Can't believe I haven't been able to figure this out, but how do you attach saved pictures from your desktop?!

Click on more reply options next to post. You will be able to attach a file then. I would be stoked to get two inches from this, I hope this thing juices up, sometimes these clippers have a tendency of getting wetter as the event nears.

attachicon.gifNE snow 4-5.jpg

This is sweet geo! Do this more often please!

• Like 1

@Tom and Geos. Just wanted to say thanks for posting right now. This storm doesn't even affect you guys and you're still updating us with information. you guys are awesome. Plus, rgem gives us .3", which could be around 6". Winter storm watches could be issued around here I'm thinking!

• Like 2

@Tom and Geos. Just wanted to say thanks for posting right now. This storm doesn't even affect you guys and you're still updating us with information. you guys are awesome. Plus, rgem gives us .3", which could be around 6". Winter storm watches could be issued around here I'm thinking!

My pleasure.  I'm just glad the morale in the Plains has gotten a lot better after seeing a Big snow.  Some of you will have a solid 10-15" snow base!  

As for any Watches being issued, I think most offices are waiting for the Euro to come in.

How are today's models looking so far?

Not too shabby I suppose. GFS gives Lincoln 3-5". NAM still juicy, but relatively similar amounts just more widespread. Looks to be about 4-6" with it. I'd say we're just about locked in for a solid 3-5" at minimum. Who knows, this thing could get amped and gives us more.

• Like 1

I'd say 2-3", maybe 4" if we're lucky

Omaha should do okay. The bulk of the heaviest precip will probably be south where the lift is looking better to support the heavier snows. But who knows. It's going to come down to the actual day tomorrow for us to know where it will really end up.

Omaha should do okay. The bulk of the heaviest precip will probably be south where the lift is looking better to support the heavier snows. But who knows. It's going to come down to the actual day tomorrow for us to know where it will really end up.

I think we are good for at least 3 here in Lincoln. Omaha is good for around 2"

I am in a WWA for 2-5 inches but they keep saying localized areas could get alot more if underneath one of the heavier bands.  Being a teacher, many students have been asking about this as we just had Monday off.  Going to be short lived but intense.  Heaviest snow from 3 AM- Noon with potential of 40 MPH gusts.  Should be an interesting night of following the models.  Mentioned that could be large variance of amounts over short distance.