May Observations and Discussion

Tom

21 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Some thunderstorms are passing just south of James, in between Mason City and Waterloo.

Not sure if my place received anything as I'm up in the TC this weekend. I'll check my gauge when I get home tomorrow. 

The outlook for good rain around here appears to be dwindling.  While a general moist plume is expected to lift north through the region, there really isn't much intensity or focus.  All models now show less than an inch of rain here over the next week+.  That's not even average rain this time of year.  Really, all we get is days of clouds and scattered showers.  ☹️

• Sad 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Dry easterly flow off the lake has suppressed any chances of precip today up this way.  Tomorrow stands the best chance for a wave to track up from the south.  I'm hopeful this will happen based on the latest data.

• Like 2

Some rainfall totals from around my area for yesterday, I finished with 1.37in.  Around a 1/2in expected today.

"It was a wet day" ~ Capt. Obvious

Pleasant Hill: 2.72"
Olathe (New Century): 2.71"
Lee's Summit: 2.32"
Olathe (Jo. Co. Exec) 2.02"
Downtown KC: 1.92"
Sedalia: 1.31"
MCI: 1.18"
Chillicothe: 0.87"
St. Joseph: 0.68"
Kirksville: 0.46"

• Like 4

It looks like we are now sliding into a warmer more summer like pattern. The 1st half of May 2021 has indeed been on the cool side with a mean of 52.1 that is good for a departure of -4.5° the high so far this month has been 83 way back on the 2nd and the low was 30 on the 1st. At the half way point there have been just 3 days with a mean of above average and 12 days below average. Officially only 0.70" of ran had fallen and here at my house it it even less with just 0.61" so far. In fact some there are now some yards where the grass in turning a yellow brown. The watering season looks to start early. The overnight low both officially at GRR and here at my house was 47 at this time it is 55 here at my house with a kind of hazy sun shine.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

The outlook for good rain around here appears to be dwindling.  While a general moist plume is expected to lift north through the region, there really isn't much intensity or focus.  All models now show less than an inch of rain here over the next week+.  That's not even average rain this time of year.  Really, all we get is days of clouds and scattered showers.  ☹️

Yeah we can hardly even get any thunderstorms! The most boring spring in that regard, or that I can remember of! Would think we’ld be able to get some more convection later this week with the warm humid conditions. At least I’m getting good rains here and it’s actually plenty wet. I’m finally up to around 0.50” since it started late yesterday afternoon with pretty much continuous light rain since midnight.

• Like 3

Im sitting at .70 past 24 hrs. And  3.1 for May so far.  Its been a good spring for business!  Odd thing has been lack of true warmth.  4 days over 80, but outside  of those days  very few in the 70s, just 3 or 4. Most 40s to 60s. Have barely  been able to open windows.  No ac at all yet. Still turning  furnace  on to take chill off.  Many seed will barely germinate  at all..  but cool weather things like potatoes,  onions, radishes and perennial native plants look great!

• Like 3

We underperformed a bit, temp-wise, over the weekend due to clouds and showers/sprinkles.  Today may be the same as we get stuck in the mid 60s again.  We may not get out of the 60s until Wednesday.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

We went to many HS graduation receptions this past weekend.  A lot of students live out in the country so we got to see the landscape.  Pastures and grasses are green and lush.  Corn has now emerged.  Standing water in many places.  Some of these places looked like this before the 1.9" of early Sunday morning.  If corn or soybeans haven't been planted, it may be awhile before planting can resume.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Im sitting at .70 past 24 hrs. And  3.1 for May so far.  Its been a good spring for business!  Odd thing has been lack of true warmth.  4 days over 80, but outside  of those days  very few in the 70s, just 3 or 4. Most 40s to 60s. Have barely  been able to open windows.  No ac at all yet. Still turning  furnace  on to take chill off.  Many seed will barely germinate  at all..  but cool weather things like potatoes,  onions, radishes and perennial native plants look great!

I just checked and I’m up to 4.25” so far this month. 

• Like 3

Only 1.75" in my yard so far in May.  It's not too far below average, but well under what folks to the south have received.

• Like 5

All signs pointing towards a legit late May Summer surge of Heat starting this weekend into the early part of next week.  Seems very likely that pockets around the GL's region will see their first 90's of the season.  MI is almost certain to get in on the 90's and I'm sure the hotter locals of the city around here will do so.  Time to tune the A/C this week!  I just saw that the Chicago beaches will open during MDW which is a great sign...but will the weather cooperate???

In the meantime, I'm thrilled to see the short range models are showing a good chance of area wide precip tomorrow into early Wed.

00z Euro through Wed...

1.png

• Like 1

Yesterdays official high at Grand Rapids was a very pleasant 77. Here at my house the overnight low was 48. At this time it is sunny and 50. Officially Grand Rapids has reported 7.33" of precipitation so far this year and that is now a departure of -5.90" At Muskegon they have recorded 5.90" and they have a departure of -6.44" Other areas are also well below average is the total rain fall department. We shall see how this all plays out.

• Like 1

Good morning it's a very humid and cloudy 65 this morning.  Since the rain began on Sat I've had 2.37in which is one of the lower totals in the area.  Heavy rain moves back in tonight and a ridge moves in this weekend which should produce some 80+ degree temps for the first time in awhile.

• Like 3

Today sucks.  I put down GrubEx this morning, but the needed rain to soak it in has not happened.  All we've received is some chilly, very light rain and sprinkles totaling <0.20".  Maybe by July we can get a f'ing thunderstorm.

• lol 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Today sucks.  I put down GrubEx this morning, but the needed rain to soak it in has not happened.  All we've received is some chilly, very light rain and sprinkles totaling <0.20".  Maybe by July we can get a f'ing thunderstorm.

I hear that. I've had one "storm" so far this year with a few rumbles of thunder. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, westMJim said:

Yesterdays official high at Grand Rapids was a very pleasant 77. Here at my house the overnight low was 48. At this time it is sunny and 50. Officially Grand Rapids has reported 7.33" of precipitation so far this year and that is now a departure of -5.90" At Muskegon they have recorded 5.90" and they have a departure of -6.44" Other areas are also well below average is the total rain fall department. We shall see how this all plays out.

Update says outside chances of rain until late sunday/monday.  Really depressing.  Could use  a good soaker.  It's gonna get even more brown around here for the next 4-5 days with temps approaching 90!.  Hopefully we get lucky here and get that heavy shower tomorrow.  

Meanwhile- in and around Glacier National Park-

r forecast by "City, St" or zip code

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Great Falls MT
230 AM MDT Wed May 19 2021

MTZ009-048-192200-
/O.CON.KTFX.WS.W.0003.210520T0300Z-210521T1500Z/
Northern Rocky Mountain Front-Southern Rocky Mountain Front-
Including the cities of Marias Pass, Bynum, Choteau, Browning,
Heart Butte, Logan Pass, and Augusta
230 AM MDT Wed May 19 2021

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO
9 AM MDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 9
  inches at lower elevations. In the mountains, 10 to 20 inches of
  snow are expected, with isolated higher amounts.

* WHERE...Northern Rocky Mountain Front and Southern Rocky Mountain
  Front.

* WHEN...From 9 PM this evening to 9 AM MDT Friday.

* IMPACTS...The wet and heavy nature of the snow could cause
  isolated power outages and damage trees or vegetation that have
  fully leaved out. Agricultural interest, especially those with
  newborn or young livestock, could be extremely impacted due to the
  duration of wet conditions and cold temperatures. Roads,
  especially bridges and overpasses, will likely become slick and
  hazardous. The wet and raw conditions could lead to hypothermia in
  the backcountry if not adequately prepared.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Visibility will be reduced below one half
  mile at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Do not touch downed lines and report any power outages to your
electric company. Travel is highly discouraged due to slick roadways
and the possibility of downed trees and power lines.
  • Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Finally, a morning without the furnace turned on!  It's a very warm and comfortable 68F with a touch of humidity (59F DP).  I only managed to score less than .10 of precip yesterday.  Just enough to damped the lawns and spread some weed and feed.  I'm praying I get lucky and score a pop up storm later today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

00z EPS and the GEFS are starting to look very wet next week across most of the MW ag belt region.  Signs of hope for the drought stricken GL's region??

1.png

2.png

The NWS DVN had also mentioned the wet outlook for next week, referring to the map below as well and the atmospheric river from a wide open Gulf.

12648751-3CA7-44A4-9D12-4BC2DBFFCD81.png

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 2
  • Storm 1

I can't remember a stretch like this in Mid / late May of low stratus / drizzle and -RA. Haven't seen the sun since Saturday and probably won't again till Friday or Saturday. It's almost like Nov with % of possible sunshine.

• Like 5

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

00z EPS and the GEFS are starting to look very wet next week across most of the MW ag belt region.  Signs of hope for the drought stricken GL's region??

1.png

2.png

Interesting pattern, if a hurricane was to move into the Gulf later this summer that moisture would be pulled up north for many of us.  However SE Texas would be in big trouble.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Interesting pattern, if a hurricane was to move into the Gulf later this summer that moisture would be pulled up north for many of us.  However SE Texas would be in big trouble.

Your absolutely right about that…this may end up being another summer with multi billion dollar natural disasters in terms of flooding down south.  June is looking extremely soggy down near the GOM.  

• Like 1

Through yesterday Cedar Rapids had hit 70º only twice in May, the least number of 70º days through May 18th since 1945.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

The sun just poked out for the first time this week.  The temperature has responded by jumping into the 70s.

• Like 2