May Observations and Discussion

Tom

For the 3rd day in a row the official high at Grand Rapids was 86. Gee I wonder with all of the on line gambling if there is a section for weather betting. Anyway the overnight low here has been 63. And there was no rain fall yesterday here as well. The current temperature here is 68 with cloudy skies. We are going up to Bay City for a day trip and it looks like there could be a good cool down in that area later this afternoon. The forecast is for a back door cold front to come thru and along with a chance of showers will bring the temperatures down to the low 50's by afternoon. It will be just the old times when a cold NE wind would ruin a nice day. There is some rain on radar to the SW of here so we shall see how that plays out.

• Like 1

For the eighth straight day, thick clouds have greeted me this morning.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

More of the same next week
0nJUMs1r_bigger.jpg

While there will be passing chances for rain the next couple days, it might be the best opportunity you have to get those outdoor chores done. Keep an ear open for a few rumbles of thunder today, but it shouldn't be a total washout.

Washout conditions coming later this week.

View image on Twitter

• Storm 2

If I receive rain today and tomorrow which probably have the lower chances of the week it would break the consecutive day record for rainfall. Lots of rain in the forecast next week and the potential is there for the streak to exceed 13 days.

image.png.51f9f384b250cf2d99b008cea179c897.png

• Like 2
  • scream 1

I was at a friends family party earlier today before the pneumonia front came through. We slow roasted a 55lbs pig over a fire for 4 hours.  It’s been years since I went to a pig roast.  The smell in the air was amazing when I arrived.  I stuffed my face and when I left it was a chilly 60F.  Ya, it was time to head home and warm up!

• Like 5

A couple cells just moved through Cedar Rapids and dropped 0.97" of rain in my yard.  There were a couple minor rumbles of thunder, the first thunder this month.

• Like 3
  • Storm 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Wow we were in Midland when the cold front came thru the temperature fell like a rock. It fell from 80 to 58 in the matter of  minutes that was with no rain. By the time we got to Bay City the temperature had fallen to 56. We did picked up our family members and went out to dinner. After dinner the temperature was now down to 50 and very windy. We left Bay City just before 6 and it was 49 with a light mist. On the way home it was light rain until we got to  Shepherd where the rain picked up and we had moderate rain on M 46 until west of Edmore and that is when the rain really came down and became very heavy until south of Sand Lake where it became light and then stopped about 20 miles north of GR. Here at my house I only recorded 0.05" of rain but to the north of here there are fields that are flooded.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

A couple cells just moved through Cedar Rapids and dropped 0.97" of rain in my yard.  There were a couple minor rumbles of thunder, the first thunder this month.

I noticed some cells heading for CR. You got lucky as that was about the heaviest cell in all of Iowa!

BTW, I again picked up measurable rainfall this morning of only 0.04”.

• Like 3

My company mowed 114 lawns past 7 days.. but still falling behind. So I personally  went out and mowed 4 today.. wouldn't  you know it a rogue shower set up  right  Northern  wapello  county.   Another 35/100 at my home.  Nuts! Measurable  rain 8 of 9 days now.  But creek is clear and kinda low!  Just passed 4 inches for May.

• Like 2

Its a very cool, damp and foggy 56F this morning...heading way up into the upper 80's today.  It is very rare to rise almost 30 degrees in a single day out here in the MW, esp in moist air.  You typically see these type of temp swings out in the desert regions.  I love the volatility of the weather as it makes things interesting.  It'll feel like summer again by mid afternoon.

• Like 1

MDW is looking rather cool and crisp but with plenty of sunshine as Canadian HP dominates the wx pattern.  Some spots may struggle to get out of the 60's on Sat, but Sun and Mon temps boost into the 70's.  Perfect bon fire wx as I'm sure the smell of burning wood will be in the air!  Love it!  Before then, however, Friday looks like a raw, wet, windy day for the lower lakes region as some spots close to the lake may struggle to get out of the 40's!  Yikes!  

0z Euro still advertising widespread regional rains...

1.png

• Like 3

It's hard to say at this range, but the NAM has been indicating somewhat of a Aug '20 repeat...same places in IA???  DP's briefly pop up in S IA and would favor the SE sections where @OttumwaSnomowis located.

1.gif

namconus_Td2m_ncus_51.png

@Clinton, this map while 4 days out raises eye brows...the little red sliver just east of KC is Moderate and will prob grow as we get closer.  This will be a big day for severe wx.

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

MDW is looking rather cool and crisp but with plenty of sunshine as Canadian HP dominates the wx pattern.  Some spots may struggle to get out of the 60's on Sat, but Sun and Mon temps boost into the 70's.  Perfect bon fire wx as I'm sure the smell of burning wood will be in the air!  Love it!  Before then, however, Friday looks like a raw, wet, windy day for the lower lakes region as some spots close to the lake may struggle to get out of the 40's!  Yikes!  

0z Euro still advertising widespread regional rains...

1.png

I really hope this happens, because long range the GL's look to get warm and dry again.  

7 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

I really hope this happens, because long range the GL's look to get warm and dry again.  

It’ll remain active across our region into early June.  NW flow aloft will produce fronts galore.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what we'll get Thursday morning/midday.  A couple models, like the Euro, show a blob of heavy rain moving across all of eastern Iowa.  Other models, like the UK and GDPS, show a strong MCS diving southeast into southern Iowa and northern Missouri, with not much falling up here.  It's possible we may not even get any thunder if the storms veer south.

• Like 1

Another  .10  my home this pm.   Getting a bit absurd.  Measurable  rain on 10 of 11 days!  Almost 100% has fallen during daylight hours.  2.2 during these 11 days.  About 4.3 for May so far.  Its been a complete  war to mow 130 customers.  Knocked out another 28 yards today.  With  rapid growth rates of grass currently we can barely  be a day late. A  total struggle.

• Like 3
  • Rain 1
  • scream 1

ORD officially made it to 90F today…this marks the 1st 90F+ of the season.  It’s a remarkable recovery from the mid 50’s this morning.  Thankfully, DP’s held in the 50’s which made it tolerable and also one of the reasons why the temps were able to rise so quickly.

• Like 2

Ugly looking forecast for Friday around the GL's region...October wx in late May...0z Euro showing highs barely reaching 50F for NE IL as a raw, wet, windy day will be on tap.  I can almost guarantee I'll be putting the furnace on later this week. 

1.png

Meantime, it's a beautiful July-like morning with a temp of 73F and a slight SW breeze.  A touch of humidity is in the air that hopefully will help fuel some storms later tonight.  Gonna enjoy these warmer days before the big cool down.

• Like 3
  • scream 1

10 hours ago, Tom said:

ORD officially made it to 90F today…this marks the 1st 90F+ of the season.  It’s a remarkable recovery from the mid 50’s this morning.  Thankfully, DP’s held in the 50’s which made it tolerable and also one of the reasons why the temps were able to rise so quickly.

Sounds like the extremes that I experience around here. 

• Like 1

While we wait for the expected rain fall over the next few days it is still dry in many parts of west Michigan. That was not the case to the NE of GR on Sunday where just to the north and north east a lot of rain fell. And there were some very cold afternoon temperatures as well. Yesterday was a very nice warm day and I would expect the same for today. The official high for Grand Rapids was 85. Here at my house the high was 87.  The overnight low both here at my house and officially at the airport was 66. If that 66 holds until midnight it would make the minimum for today the 2nd warmest in recorded history at GR. There has been a trend this month of some very cold weather and then some very warm weather there have been many days/nights with highs and lows in the top 10 for warm and cold. Making for a up and down month at this point there have been 5 days with departures of -10 or better and 5 days with departures of +10 or better and we have a chance of a few more on both sides of that coming up this week. At this time it is now sunny and 76 here.

• Like 2

Another 0.30” from rain that has moved through the last several hours. No need to visit the Amazon Rainforest, just come to Central Nebraska. Many large rain chances in the next week. They are talking about several inches tomorrow night. I keep saying it, I don’t remember a time when things have looked this lush. 

• Like 4