May Observations and Discussion

Tom

59 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

It appears the storms are taking the southern route tonight.  Omaha and Lincoln may just get a general rain shield while the storms dive into Kansas.

That enhanced risk for Lincoln isn't looking so good. Heavy rain just begun with just some occasional thunder and lightning.

• Sad 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

It's a chilly and breezy morning with a steady NE wind off the lake.  Temps are in the mid 50's (54F) and slept with the window cracked open a bit to let the cool breeze in.  Great sleeping weather!  Gotta get through these next couple days and what looks to be a heavy precip producing system come later today/tonight.  Another 1-2" of rain looks to be on tap area wide.  This weeks precip could potentially put a big dent into the severe drought.  ORD is about (-2.55") behind in precip for the month.

hrrr_apcpn_ncus_48.png

Yesterday, my mother flew in from Arizona and her flight route took her straight through the Tornado Watch area in C KS.  In fact, while monitoring her flight on my phone, she flew just south of the Tornado warned Super cell NW of Witchita last evening around 6:00pm CST.  I asked her when I picked her up if there was turbulence and she said.."This was the first time in a long while that I've felt that kind of turbulence."  She also mentioned that the clouds were towering higher than usual.  I had to educate her that super cell storms typically have towering clouds way up into the troposphere.  I'm just glad she made it here safe and sound.  Oh, she did say that the pilot mentioned on the intercom that the storm to the NW of the plane was producing Tornado's!  Gosh, can you imagine all the nervous people on the plane???

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

If the 00z EPS is right, the idea of early June heat to build up in the Upper MW and migrate east is on the calendar.  How long does it last???

1.gif

The JMA weeklies are showing a continued theme for TX/OK and parts of the S Plains as we roll into June.  Summer time warmth is to overspread the Northern parts of our Sub as a ridge develops over the lower heights in the south.

Week 2...Upper MW/GL's warmth...quite a wet pattern if its right...

Y202105.D2612_gl2.png

Y202105.D2612_gl0.png

Week 3-4...same ol' pattern continues...I'd be stoked to have temps end up slightly AN over here with plenty precip chances...

Y202105.D2612_gl2.png

Y202105.D2612_gl0.png

• Like 2

We will have to see how cold it gets over the next few mornings. The record lows at Grand Rapids the next 3 days are in the lower 30’s it has not gotten down to 32 or lower the 3 days in recorded history. The official total rain fall yesterday at Grand Rapids was 0.73″ The total at Muskegon was 0.76″ and at Lansing just 0.39″ The overnight low here at my house was 43 and it looks like it will be 42 officially at the airport. At this time with clear skies it is 49 here at my house.

6 hours ago, clintbeed1993 said:

Radar has looked nothing like the models showed. Absolutely no damaging wind squall line MCS. Another disappointment in a long line of them this spring. What a terrible severe weather season for anyone not in Western Nebraska or Western Kansas.

Picked up 1.25" of rain last night from the rain with embedded thunder in my backyard. I was expecting a loud night with strong/severe thunderstorms, obviously that didn't happen as this has been the trend all spring so far. The heavy rain was very welcome though!  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, clintbeed1993 said:

Radar has looked nothing like the models showed. Absolutely no damaging wind squall line MCS. Another disappointment in a long line of them this spring. What a terrible severe weather season for anyone not in Western Nebraska or Western Kansas.

You are correct. I wonder if the early evening storms robbed moisture from a line developing?  I finished with 1.70” but no severe weather and wind gusts maybe hit 20 mph. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

Nice bowing line of storms pushing through the south side of KC @mlgamer @Jayhawker85 looks like some wind and hail.

KEAX_loop.gif

Does your screen name come from your closest town? If so, you are or were in a good spot. I’m missing storm action like that and would love to see similar! Just another boring and small rain event here so far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Does your screen name come from your closest town? If so, you are or were in a good spot. I’m missing storm action like that and would love to see similar! Just another boring and small rain event here so far.

No but Clinton, MO. is about 20 miles south of my house.  I've had training thunderstorms this morning and recorded 3.10 inches of rain so far.

• Like 4
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

53 minutes ago, Sparky said:

39 minutes ago, Clinton said:

No but Clinton, MO. is about 20 miles south of my house.  I've had training thunderstorms this morning and recorded 3.10 inches of rain so far.

I've always hoped we'd get a poster named Warren who lives in Clinton, MO just to balance things out.

• lol 5

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

33 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Down to 50° now. End of May

I just got done mowing my lawn and that stiff NE wind has a bite to it....certainly had the chills and a runny nose this morning!  Crazy.

• Like 3

@Clinton Storms that rolled through MBY were pretty much heavy rain producers but nothing severe to speak of. I added another 1.5" of rain overnight and this morning. It was already wet here from previous rains so now it is 1.5" more wet than it was.

• Like 5

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

I only received about 0.25" from the initial band of precip, but a little tail back-built to the sw and led to several more brief downpours moving through.  My total is now 0.70".  There was a bit of thunder at the leading edge of the rain this morning.

My May rain total has sneakily risen to 4.52", which is above average.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The sun has poped out it's been shining for about 40 minutes. Temperatures have rebounded to 77 degrees it will be interesting to see if it can destabilize enough to have another round of storms this evening I sure don't need any more rain we are way too wet.

• Like 1

Ended up with 1.06" of rain. Mainly just some moderate rain with embedded thunder at times. Definitely not the result it looked like would happen yesterday/last night.

I'd say a huge underperformance for the severe weather yesterday. There were a few tornadoes and big hail, but most of western Kansas stayed shut off. There were storms that formed late morning and probably messed things up even for those of us in central and eastern Nebraska as the squall line never really materialized. Plenty of storm chaser were really disappointed/pissed off with yesterday's results.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

If models hold, this storm evening/tonight could get destructive for me. Looks dangerous on HRRR. Not a great situation developing either way.

That bow on the HRRR looks terrible.  Hope it's not that bad.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I only received about 0.25" from the initial band of precip, but a little tail back-built to the sw and led to several more brief downpours moving through.  My total is now 0.70".  There was a bit of thunder at the leading edge of the rain this morning.

My May rain total has sneakily risen to 4.52", which is above average.

You almost caught up with me. I’m not quite sure what my total is. Probably around 5” now after only 0.23” today. What a dud of a system here. I’ll try to post my total sometime. 
Just now the sun is poking through. Crazy how warm it is a few counties sw. of here, and cold just north! Amazing temperature contrast and still nothing exciting, which is normal anymore.

FA8DA3A8-F356-458F-98A2-7360191B3135.png

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 2

Well, The 14th day straight  with measurable rain around the Ottumwa  Iowa area.  Officially at my home its 13 of 14 days. And I fully expect  15 days after midnight.   .29  today this system  greatly under performed. Very few locations  near a inch.   Just a contiuation of  the previous  2 weeks of showers.  My home has 4.60 for may. Not that much given its rained on  about 18 days! Creek is low and clear. But lawns are soupy. Temp and dewpoints plummeting  now

• Like 5

Yet another night I awoke to the sound of rain hitting my sky light in the hallway.  I'm getting some heavier embedded downpours at the moment.  Well, if I wasn't a wx enthusiast that enjoys all types of wx, I'm thankful for the wx Mother Nature is delivering on my B Day.  I can't help but think what this storm would have brought during the winter months!

ct-wea-0528-featureFIN.jpg

Meantime, it is a cold, blustery, raw and wet day here.  I can't believe I had to flip on the Furnace on 5-28-21...inside temp was 63F.  Outside temp 44F with a wind out of the NE 25 G 40mph!  Make it a fabulous day everyone!

• Like 3

I recorded 0.34" of rain yesterday and overnight. On the temperature side this spring has been one of ups and downs with several days with highs/lows in the top ten either on the warm side or the cold side. Yesterdays official high of 59 at Grand Rapids tied several other years for the 7th coldest maximum for any May 27th at Grand Rapids. For today the record coldest maximum is 52 set in 1965 with 53 set in 1947 and then 57 in 1896, 1902 and 1984. So today has a good chance of being yet another top ten. At this time there is some light rain falling here with a cool wind and 42.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Meantime, it is a cold, blustery, raw and wet day here.  I can't believe I had to flip on the Furnace on 5-28-21...inside temp was 63F.  Outside temp 44F with a wind out of the NE 25 G 40mph!  Make it a fabulous day everyone

I work for local the minor league baseball team here in Grand Rapids and last night was a cold and windy night. The rain started in the 7th inning but was light and by the 8th and top of the 9th while the rain was still light it sure was wind blown and cold. Just after the the game that is when the rain came came down harder. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westMJim said:

I work for local the minor league baseball team here in Grand Rapids and last night was a cold and windy night. The rain started in the 7th inning but was light and by the 8th and top of the 9th while the rain was still light it sure was wind blown and cold. Just after the the game that is when the rain came came down harder. 

Yikes!  Thankfully, we only have one more day of this and I'm sure you and I are looking forward to more sunshine and warmer temps this weekend.  Great time for boaters and anglers to get out and do some fishing.

• Like 1

We opened the windows last night and this morning the house dropped to 59 degrees. Looks like the low got down to 44. My precipitation stats through May 27th-  rainfall for May is 6.60” and total for the year is 16.82”. Both are well above normal. Yearly I average 25”. We will add to these totals over the upcoming weekend. 

• Like 3