May Observations and Discussion

Tom

On 5/27/2021 at 9:29 PM, OttumwaSnomow said:

Well, The 14th day straight  with measurable rain around the Ottumwa  Iowa area.  Officially at my home its 13 of 14 days. And I fully expect  15 days after midnight.   .29  today this system  greatly under performed. Very few locations  near a inch.   Just a contiuation of  the previous  2 weeks of showers.  My home has 4.60 for may. Not that much given its rained on  about 18 days! Creek is low and clear. But lawns are soupy. Temp and dewpoints plummeting  now

I had 0.06” from on/off drizzle all day bringing event total to 0.29” or same as yours. May total is up to 5.23” or a bit more than I thought. 

I forget exactly what the high temperature was today, but it was only 47° or 48°!! 

• Like 2

Brrrr...while I am only in the mid 40's, some of you are experiencing record cold, esp cold for folks up in MN/WI.  Ely, MN is one of the colder spots...

Current conditions at

Ely, Ely Municipal Airport (KELO)

Lat: 47.82°NLon: 91.83°WElev: 1457ft.
nsct.png

Fair

25°F

-4°C

1.png

• Like 2

It's so nice to see that big beautiful shining star this morning.  Puts you in the right mood any day of the week.  One of the reasons why I love spending time in AZ is bc of how much sunshine you get out there.  Then again, the volatility of the wx you experience in the MW is also something I enjoy.

Today, we begin a slow warming process into next weekend.  All I see is mostly 70's and low 80's through next Friday until Heat and Humidity build in next weekend.  Summer is coming back!  While not ideal beach wx on Lake Michigan this weekend, surfs up today with waves as high as 7 Feet, next weekend the 0z Euro is saying 90's are coming back into the picture for many around the region.

1.png

2.png

• Like 3

I covered the tomato plants before I went to bed last night and that may have been a good thing as it dropped to 34 here and there is some light frost. It looks like the official low at the airport was 37.  Yesterdays official high at Grand Rapids of 51 was the coldest maximum for any May 28th at Grand Rapids and the low of 39 was was the 11th coldest low for May 28th Todays official low of 37 will become a tie for the 5th coldest minimum for any May 29th It now looks like May 2021 will end up below average at Grand Rapids. At this time it is clear and 36 here with some light frost in the area.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, westMJim said:

I covered the tomato plants before I went to bed last night and that may have been a good thing as it dropped to 34 here and there is some light frost. It looks like the official low at the airport was 37.  Yesterdays official high at Grand Rapids of 51 was the coldest maximum for any May 28th at Grand Rapids and the low of 39 was was the 11th coldest low for May 28th Todays official low of 37 will become a tie for the 5th coldest minimum for any May 29th It now looks like May 2021 will end up below average at Grand Rapids. At this time it is clear and 36 here with some light frost in the area.

One of the coldest birthdays I’ve experienced in the last decade or longer.  I’m surprised to see how cold it got this morning up in the Northwoods and surrounding areas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clinton said:

The sun is starting to burn through the clouds here this morning. Very cool I hit a low of 47 on my way up to the mid 60s today. Great fishing weather as I am lake bound.

Good luck down there!  The bite is slow up here from what I’ve learned this morning.

• Like 1

It dropped to 38º in Cedar Rapids this morning, not low enough to produce frost.

It's nice to see models drying out next week while we warm up.

Update:  A local met posted a photo of frost in Marion, so maybe there was a bit here that I just didn't see.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The record low for tomorrow morning is  34 set in 1996 and 1965 (there was frost in June up north in 1965) So tomorrow will be yet another day with a low in the top ten. At this time it is clear and 64 here with a DP of 29 so once the sun goes down and the winds go calm it will once again get cold real fast.

• Like 1

Quite the temp spread this morning underneath clear skies and calm winds.  There are pockets of 30's and 40's...my local reporting station is showing 38F.  The furnace kicked on again this morning.  Hopefully, this will be the last day or two for the season.  The A/C will be cranking next weekend...love the volatility of the wx here in the MW, but come on nature, let's see summer!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clinton said:

Same here, the stiff north wind won't do a lot of favors down here.

Spoke to my friend who went up to Sturgeon Bay, WI and he said it was slow.  Only landed 1 small mouth yesterday.

• Like 1

I covered the tomato plants one again. This is one of the latest that I have had to do that. The low here was 34 and once again there is some frost in the area. It looks like the official overnight low at Grand Rapids will be 37 for two nights in a row. At This time it is clear and 38 here. I would hope that this is the last time until late September or October that we see frost.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'm seeing patchy frost on the roofs this morning.  Can't recall seeing frost during MDW around here before.  It's nice to see the beautiful sunrise today with no clouds in the sky.

For the 2nd day in a row there is frost here. There is a little more today then yesterday as there is some frost on the ground as yesterday it was just on roof tops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Lol. Everybody out enjoying the summer weather......in Florida, Arizona and California.

latest.tair (1).png

Oh don't worry, the highs here will make the numbers down in those places seem puny at the end of the week.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I hope everyone has a enjoyable Memorial Day. After 3 nights in a row of lows in the 30's the overnight low here was a milder 46. At this time it is cloudy and 55 here at my house. Officially Grand Rapids will end spring with 5.34" of rain. The 30 year average for spring is 9.38"  There was a total of 0.3" of snow fall that was well below the average of 9.6" of spring snow fall. Grand Rapids ended last winter season with 41.6" of snow fall and that is -31.5" below the average of 77.6" That was the lowest snow fall since the winter of 1982/83 and the 2nd least amount since the airport moved to its current location in 1963. Yesterday was one of those rare days when the state high was at the Sault (along with several other locations) 

• Like 4

This month was backwards. Max of 89 on the first day of the month lol. 92 on April 26th was the first and only 90+ day so far, should have #2 on the list by next weekend though. While this month was slightly cooler than average, it was also much drier with only 2.55" (May/June is typically the wettest time of the year)

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

On 5/29/2021 at 5:17 AM, Tom said:

Brrrr...while I am only in the mid 40's, some of you are experiencing record cold, esp cold for folks up in MN/WI.  Ely, MN is one of the colder spots...

Current conditions at

Ely, Ely Municipal Airport (KELO)

Lat: 47.82°NLon: 91.83°WElev: 1457ft.
nsct.png

Fair

25°F

-4°C

1.png

Spent the 25th through the 30th in the Wilderness near Ely. It was chilly, but not as cold near the water. ( water temp remained 60F even though night lows were in the 20's with records of 21F and 22F in Hibbing and Ely,  Still needed a crap load of firewood to stay warm, but the fishing was outta of this world. 28.5" walleye was the largest , with nearly all 20-29" fish measured in each increment and let go. We got enough eaters to eat (15-18')  fish until the batter ran out. The BWCAW is truely a remarkable place--- Lake I will keep secret , but it's a classic walleye lake. . I can set you up with campsites and fishing---- if you wanna know and have the work ethic to get their. May be an image of 2 people, including Jeff Bloomer and outdoorsMay be an image of Jeff Bloomer, body of water and natureMay be an image of 1 person, body of water and natureMay be an image of 1 person and outdoorsMay be an image of Jeff Bloomer and outdoorsMay be an image of Jeff Bloomer and outdoorsNo photo description available.May be an image of campsite, nature and treeMay be an image of standing, nature and lake

• Like 8
  • Weenie 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

1 hour ago, Grizzcoat said:

Spent the 25th through the 30th in the Wilderness near Ely. It was chilly, but not as cold near the water. ( water temp remained 60F even though night lows were in the 20's with records of 21F and 22F in Hibbing and Ely,  Still needed a crap load of firewood to stay warm, but the fishing was outta of this world. 28.5" walleye was the largest , with nearly all 20-29" fish measured in each increment and let go. We got enough eaters to eat (15-18')  fish until the batter ran out. The BWCAW is truely a remarkable place--- Lake I will keep secret , but it's a classic walleye lake. . I can set you up with campsites and fishing---- if you wanna know and have the work ethic to get their. May be an image of 2 people, including Jeff Bloomer and outdoorsMay be an image of Jeff Bloomer, body of water and natureMay be an image of 1 person, body of water and natureMay be an image of 1 person and outdoorsMay be an image of Jeff Bloomer and outdoorsMay be an image of Jeff Bloomer and outdoorsNo photo description available.May be an image of campsite, nature and treeMay be an image of standing, nature and lake

My goodness, those fish look fantastic Grizz!  I'm sure they were tasty.  I literally just got the chills because it brought back memories when I was a kid and went on a fishing trip with the fam just north of the MN border into S Canada.  Can't recall the name of the lake right now but it was quintessentially similar to what you explained.  Congrats on the catch!  

My May stats from my backyard.

Avg low: 51.7 (1.0 below average) Coldest low: 34.7 (5th)

Avg high: 71.9 (2.7 degrees below average)  Warmest high: 87.8 (1st)

Precip: 4.03" (.63" below average)

Rained 14/31 days but still ended up below average in precip.

No severe weather watches or warnings for my county.

• Like 2

May here was cool, cloudy and wet!! I hope June is better!

Temp anomaly: -2.7

Precip: 6.93" (+1.76")

Precip .01 or more: 17 days (along with 4 trace days, 10 dry days)

Cloudy days: 8

Partly cloudy days: 17

Clear days: 6

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

5 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Some stats for my area of Central Nebraska. May precipitation 7.07” and 17.23” so far this year. Along with the wettest March, April, and May in our history at 13.07”. Whoa. 

From the wettest out west to the nearly the driest on record here in the GL's.  Quite the dramatic differences across our Sub.  I find it fascinating how the weather can be so volatile.

Here are “spring” and May stats for some towns in my area from the NWS. May was around 2° cooler than normal while spring (Mar.-May) still was a bit warmer than normal. Rainfall varied from below to above average for both, with the wettest areas just to my south and east. 

C25AB4D7-7FC8-4521-AAD4-30829DAE86B5.jpeg

3B0189E8-FED8-4187-A0BB-B6B9B7C9424D.jpeg

• Like 3

The Cedar Rapids airport recorded only 2.70" of rain in May.  I received 4.58".

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

• Tom unpinned this topic