The Weather Forums

May Observations and Discussion

21 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Some thunderstorms are passing just south of James, in between Mason City and Waterloo.

Not sure if my place received anything as I'm up in the TC this weekend. I'll check my gauge when I get home tomorrow. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m in Lamar Colorado for my nephews graduation. Got to witness  a gorgeous supercell thunderstorm last night! First supercell of this year, and it came right to me here in Lamar! Was tornado warned f

Here are some more short vids and pics from my trip.  Thursday and Friday were the best days weather wise.  Spending time along the ocean is such a treat when HP is over the region in the spring.  The

1.11" is my rain total.  I'm satisfied with that.

Posted Images

The outlook for good rain around here appears to be dwindling.  While a general moist plume is expected to lift north through the region, there really isn't much intensity or focus.  All models now show less than an inch of rain here over the next week+.  That's not even average rain this time of year.  Really, all we get is days of clouds and scattered showers.  ☹️

• Sad 1

season snowfall: 52.5"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Dry easterly flow off the lake has suppressed any chances of precip today up this way.  Tomorrow stands the best chance for a wave to track up from the south.  I'm hopeful this will happen based on the latest data.

• Like 1

Some rainfall totals from around my area for yesterday, I finished with 1.37in.  Around a 1/2in expected today.

"It was a wet day" ~ Capt. Obvious

Pleasant Hill: 2.72"
Olathe (New Century): 2.71"
Lee's Summit: 2.32"
Olathe (Jo. Co. Exec) 2.02"
Downtown KC: 1.92"
Sedalia: 1.31"
MCI: 1.18"
Chillicothe: 0.87"
St. Joseph: 0.68"
Kirksville: 0.46"

• Like 3

It looks like we are now sliding into a warmer more summer like pattern. The 1st half of May 2021 has indeed been on the cool side with a mean of 52.1 that is good for a departure of -4.5° the high so far this month has been 83 way back on the 2nd and the low was 30 on the 1st. At the half way point there have been just 3 days with a mean of above average and 12 days below average. Officially only 0.70" of ran had fallen and here at my house it it even less with just 0.61" so far. In fact some there are now some yards where the grass in turning a yellow brown. The watering season looks to start early. The overnight low both officially at GRR and here at my house was 47 at this time it is 55 here at my house with a kind of hazy sun shine.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

The outlook for good rain around here appears to be dwindling.  While a general moist plume is expected to lift north through the region, there really isn't much intensity or focus.  All models now show less than an inch of rain here over the next week+.  That's not even average rain this time of year.  Really, all we get is days of clouds and scattered showers.  ☹️

Yeah we can hardly even get any thunderstorms! The most boring spring in that regard, or that I can remember of! Would think we’ld be able to get some more convection later this week with the warm humid conditions. At least I’m getting good rains here and it’s actually plenty wet. I’m finally up to around 0.50” since it started late yesterday afternoon with pretty much continuous light rain since midnight.

‘20 - ‘21 season snowfall = 39.3”

Im sitting at .70 past 24 hrs. And  3.1 for May so far.  Its been a good spring for business!  Odd thing has been lack of true warmth.  4 days over 80, but outside  of those days  very few in the 70s, just 3 or 4. Most 40s to 60s. Have barely  been able to open windows.  No ac at all yet. Still turning  furnace  on to take chill off.  Many seed will barely germinate  at all..  but cool weather things like potatoes,  onions, radishes and perennial native plants look great!