May 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about at your location.     

Pretty early for anyone to be worried about it considering it’s the gfs long range temp map.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The 12Z EPS does show that trough way out in the NPAC digging southward and is more robust with the ridging for the holiday weekend... 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2419200.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-2419200.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 5-day period encompassing the entire holiday weekend per the 12Z EPS...  that would be some favorable timing. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_5day-2635200.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Based off the trajectory of showers moving from north to south this morning I think we will do better in terms of rainfall today than yesterday. 

Good call! Hasn’t amounted to much but more than the zero we got yesterday. 

Currently 52 here with a light shower.  

What a brutal pattern this is. I’d say there’s a 50/50 chance we don’t see a sub-80 high until September now. 😑

The MJO transit to WPAC means the West probably joins the blowtorch soon. Hopefully not too long lasting out that way but..just bad bad bad signs all around. Been digging for anything positive re: drought situation out there, and I can’t find anything. At least we have the tropics to help us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF is not so great at the same time... hopefully the trough way out in the NPAC keeps digging and lifts the troughing on the east side northward.

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-2289600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-t850_anom_stream-2289600.png

Models have consistently over-done digging NPAC troughs this year. But MJO thru WPAC is usually pretty good at warming the West coast.

Either way, if you have any morals whatsoever you should be rooting for cool/wet weather in the West. Not the inverse. 

Went out to Leavenworth and Chelan and was surprised at how green everything was and no fire risk.

Went from almost 70 deg to 34 and heavy snow in about 15-20 min going from Peshastin to blewett around noon today.  Really cool to experience.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Models have consistently over-done digging NPAC troughs this year. But MJO thru WPAC is usually pretty good at warming the West coast.

Either way, if you have any morals whatsoever you should be rooting for cool/wet weather in the West. Not the inverse. 

😁

OK Phil.  

• Popcorn 1

11 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Went out to Leavenworth and Chelan and was surprised at how green everything was and no fire risk.

Went from almost 70 deg to 34 and heavy snow in about 15-20 min going from Peshastin to blewett around noon today.  Really cool to experience.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, T-Town said:

Good call! Hasn’t amounted to much but more than the zero we got yesterday. 

Currently 52 here with a light shower.  

Unfortunately looks like the activity is over here for now...most of it is now terrain based and to the south of us. Got a little rain this morning but not much was thinking we would get more. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

55 here under mostly sunny skies fairly chilly for this time of year under almost full sunshine. Might get fairly chilly tonight too. 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

4 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Good thing it’s like 300 hours out lol. Too d*mn early for it to be hitting 90 already. 

But it's also means it's hinting at some serious ridging. Not something to be a fan about tbh. Temps details are always tbd this far out. Ugh. 

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

But it's also means it's hinting at some serious ridging. Not something to be a fan about tbh. Temps details are always tbd this far out. Ugh. 

It’s definitely something to look out for. Latest euro run was pretty nice though for the next 10 days! 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

23 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Neighborhood rhododendron garden is in full bloom. It seems like rhododendrons and azaleas are staying in bloom longer this year, maybe due to the cool and dry weather. Or maybe it’s my imagination...

8B420E02-30A9-4297-BD9C-9CA4E3A897C8.jpeg

😍 I can feel that comfortable airmass just by looking at that photo. 

20 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

It’s definitely something to look out for. Latest euro run was pretty nice though for the next 10 days! 

If the MJO makes it into the WPAC with little IO interference, it’s a ridgefest out there for at least a solid week. If there’s more residual IO/EHEM convection, then it might be more run of the mill.

But all this is still 10+ days out.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

😍 I can feel that comfortable airmass just by looking at that photo. 

You can have my 'comfortable' air mass, 38° at 4pm with mixed rain/snow showers...

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Ran over to Ellensburg and back this morning and the summit of Snoqualmie had some snow on the trees about another 100’ up in elevation. Chilly, partly cloudy, and windy in Ellensburg and the same back here at home. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Still 0.84" precip since March 1st. 

A trace in all of May so far month to date.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

47 minutes ago, Farmboy said:

You can have my 'comfortable' air mass, 38° at 4pm with mixed rain/snow showers...

That’s better than 98° with sun showers and dewpoint delirium.

Which I’m certain we’ll be dealing with in a month or so.

Models are showing a couple of ULL stalling out over Montana over the next 10 days. Kind of crazy that we have drought concerns yet flooding could become a real issue if the models are to be trusted. 

7378681A-1476-4F12-85CF-CF89C6CF84F1.thumb.jpeg.3cb9db2317118c0cf242780b6f7eef9a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Storm 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Well if anyone one here has more then one brain cell it's not rocket science to figure out you should be saving money to flee from 'fires' this year. Last year should've been a big wake up call and if that's not enough I don't know what is!

Only 0.08" on the bucket, however some pretty heavy rain just started. Let's see what this shower can do. Chilly highs up and down the I-5 corridor today. Looks like quite a bit of snow on the highlands of S. Central Oregon tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

58 minutes ago, T-Town said:

That’s pretty cool. Where is the camera mounted and how is it powered?

I have the cam mounted on my anemometer pole (2 story house).  So got some nice height.  Had a outlet then mounted just under the eve of the house.  So that runs the camera and Christmas lights up there.  Love the view it gets me !

• Like 1