May 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

11 minutes ago, ..... said:

I'm skeptical.  They just keep pushing the nice out further.

I think the models are locking in on the nice weather starting Saturday.    In the meantime... cloudy and damp and chilly with the exception of a short break on Wednesday afternoon.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

19 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

What happened to the flag pole?

Ironically that RV is actually in the same exact spot.  

Also looks like someone got a new shed.

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

37 minutes ago, Jesse said:

12z runs look downright fugly for the long weekend. The outdoors are going to be taking a lot of abuse. Search and rescue crews better prepare.

And probly a blowtorch once we get well into June and of course July and August are always bad anymore. I say 25+ 90F or hotter days. Any east wind event will cause destruction that will make the Biscuit Fire look like a bonfire.

Currently 64F and mostly cloudy but dry.

• lol 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

41 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

What happened to the flag pole?

Retracted for the spring windy season! 

393B10C0-C1F5-420E-8436-F8DC7BB50190.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Why is it not possible anymore to go more than a couple of weeks without crazy anomalous warmth? I know that whenever we have a short stretch of even slightly cooler than average temps, we will pay for it dearly. 

And, whenever ridging is advertised on the models weeks out, it will inevitably verify but with increased strength and duration. The opposite is rarely true.

I can’t decide if we should change our name to the Desert NW or Upper California. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Just now, Jesse said:

12z EPS is even stronger with the weekend ridgingÂ đŸ€ą

WPAC MJO transit. First half of June looks yucky. Third week of June into July looks better.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

WPAC MJO transit. First half of June looks yucky. Third week of June into July looks better.

Just another wasted few weeks of our already waning wet season. By the third week of June its pretty D**n rare to get any regional systems, especially these days.

Granted there's a chance of rain at times this week, but the way things have gone lately I would put a lot more stock in PDX hitting 90 next Monday than picking up more than .25" in the next five days. Ridging at day eight is a lot more dependable than rainfall at day two sadly.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Pretty heavy drizzle right now. The gods are smiling down upon us before SATAN takes the wheel again next Saturday. đŸ‘č

Weird post. I'm looking forward to some warmth and sunshine after very little the last 5 days.

• Downvote 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

54 minutes ago, Phil said:

Your timing is always is always too slow... this really means that troughing will return probably by the weekend after next (June 4th and 5th) and go for another couple weeks.   Then maybe it will improve by the last week of June and into early July.

• Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Your timing is always is always too slow... this really means that troughing will return probably by the weekend after next (June 4th and 5th) and go for another couple weeks.   Then maybe it will improve by the last week of June and into early July.

I think July has the best chance of all summer months to finish below average overall. 

• lol 1

Very pleasant Seattle day; 60 and cloudy with some transient drizzle thrown in the mix. Really relishing this typical late May/June weather before the inevitable summer long blowtorch ensues.

Another day without a fire pattern.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Very pleasant Seattle day; 60 and cloudy with some transient drizzle thrown in the mix. Really relishing this typical late May/June weather before the inevitable summer long blowtorch ensues.

Another day without a fire pattern.

Yes... firestorms are a big concern in Seattle.   Another day without swarms of locusts... or Godzilla coming out of the Sound and rampaging the city.  Whew!   😄

Side note... normal high today is 68 in Seattle.    This is just as "normal" as a sunny 76-degree day in late May.   Both happen and I guess if 60 is typical then so is 76.    I get that you enjoy this weather and that is great but no need to make anything else seem like it will destroy us.

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

We were on track to score a solidly cool day with temps in the 50s and drizzle through 3pm, but some ill-timed sunbreaks pushed us to 63 late in the afternoon.

Looks like no sub-60 highs for PDX this month. Rare if not virtually unheard for May.

• Downvote 1

Its up to 64 at PDX at 6 p.m.  

If it was just a random sunbreak to blame then it would not have gone from 60 to 63 and then 64 an hour later.   It was 64 at SEA today as well.   

Just noticed that SEA was running -0.4 for the month through yesterday with at least another 5 chilly days ahead.   But its quite possible that this month will end up close to normal assuming a potential warm spell on the last 2 or 3 days to bring it back up. 

60/52 today. -1.0 for the month as of today. Probably will end up slightly below average or average for the month...near normal precipitation as well. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Interestingly... today's marine layer and drizzle was directly caused by the large ULL that was dropping into the PNW one week ago today.   It is finally lifting out through western Montana and inducing onshore flow.    That was a slow moving storm.   It bought rain to parts of the PNW each day for the last week.    Tomorrow's rain will be from a new system which has been waiting offshore for the door to open up.

68/43 and mostly sunny. Dry all day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Also fascinating... the ULL that has been stationary over the west for the last week goes from western Montana this evening all the way to southern Greenland in the next 3 days.    It just races across all of Canada now that its being picked up by the jet stream.