May 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

00z/06z models improved in the medium-long range. Can 12z continue that trend?

I honestly have no idea what this means, because “improved” rests so subjectively on the sort of weather you are now personally desiring to see. (Part of it is that I have not been following the conversation here very closely.)

More rain? More sun? Less heat and humidity in the swamp in which you live? Something else?

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Sorry for OT ramblings but man, this is an incredible display by Mother Nature.❤️ Today we can hear the cicada chorus even in the basement. Ear splitting. Gets disorientating if you’re outside for too long.

Craziest thing is, every now and then all of the cicadas on one tree will fly up like a thick cloud then dart over to a neighboring tree. Can’t go 10 seconds without one landing on your head or torso.

Estimating a 50% increase in numbers (locally) compared to 2004. Probably (in part) related to the fact conditions in 2004 were extremely favorable for cicadas to reproduce. Also the fact we’re surrounded by protected forestland that hasn’t been touched in over a century.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I honestly have no idea what this means, because “improved” rests so subjectively on the sort of weather you are now personally desiring to see. (Part of it is that I have not been following the conversation here very closely.)

More rain? More sun? Less heat and humidity in the swamp in which you live? Something else?

Probably means it's looking nice. Some good weather ahead.

• Rain 1
  • Troll 1

10 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Euro/EPS and the 06z GFS are hinting at a +EPO/jet pattern as westerly momentum increases. Also trending weaker with the WPAC MJO transit. Maybe the hot pattern will be short lived and followed by a crash.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Rain 1

Close to getting a t'storm yesterday evening... According to NWS, 4 lightning strikes were recorded in Klamath County. 

Today is another slight possibility, so let's make it count.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Today 9 years ago I woke up to 1/2" of snow. That was my latest measurable snowfall I've observed, and it occurred after our first 80+ degree weather of the year.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

12z GFS is less enthused..but then again it has been over-bullish on western ridging all year.

Ummmm...well, it certainly was warm here in DJF as all 3 of those months were above normal but I'm not sure models were advertising constant warmth in this part of the region in that time period. It shifted things north and made things less-impressive, and ultimately the ridging was closer to us.

• Popcorn 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Pretty incredible downpour yesterday in Salmon Creek, looks like about 1.47" fell in under an hour from 6pm-7pm

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAVANCO486/table/2021-05-24/2021-05-24/daily

I was about a mile east of there and the parking lot of the sports complex was floody.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

27 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/05/a-wet-week-plus-full-reservoirs-should.html

I guess Oregon is not in the PNW according to Cliff Mass

I mean, Eugene and south basically isn't anymore. This past winter hammered that home.

• lol 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Came across this on The Facebook last night from the beach. Two things struck me:

1. The attendees probably had NO idea that atmospheric indices were flashing RED at the time for the upcoming winter, despite the warning to “WATCH FOR SIGNS”

2. People celebrated weird sh*t back then.

image.thumb.png.4f7410332edb32df7e5a63d3c47d31d8.png

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Came across this on The Facebook last night from the beach. Two things struck me:

1. The attendees probably had NO idea that atmospheric indices were flashing RED at the time for the upcoming winter, despite the warning to “WATCH FOR SIGNS”

2. People celebrated weird .

image.thumb.png.4f7410332edb32df7e5a63d3c47d31d8.png

Just checked local records and June 12, 1949 was a 72/35 day in the Snoqualmie Valley... so I assume it was sunny here and down there.   But that is an unheard of spread for June in our current climate regime.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

31 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I mean, Eugene and south basically isn't anymore. This past winter hammered that home.

You could make a legitimate argument that the "PNW" ends as far north as the 44th parallel, just south of Eugene and Bend. The coast range starts to transition into the Siskiyous, increasing in elevation and preventing marine layers from reaching inland (summer in southern OR is nearly constant sunshine without marine layers). The number of rain days per year starts to fall going southwards from 44N and really declines rapidly south of 43N. As such, the California floristic province begins to take hold and species like canyon live oak, black oak, and sugar pine become much more common south of 44N - these are both drought-resistant and grow in higher elevations. The northern edge of the Great Basin also runs pretty close to 44N in central to eastern Oregon.

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Warrenton is on the coast.

Yeah... but with that kind of spread here the air mass must have been very dry.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice to see lots of spots down in Oregon got some nice rain totals. Not enough to reverse the past couple dry months but much better than nothing. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

55 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

You could make a legitimate argument that the "PNW" ends as far north as the 44th parallel, just south of Eugene and Bend. The coast range starts to transition into the Siskiyous, increasing in elevation and preventing marine layers from reaching inland (summer in southern OR is nearly constant sunshine without marine layers). The number of rain days per year starts to fall going southwards from 44N and really declines rapidly south of 43N. As such, the California floristic province begins to take hold and species like canyon live oak, black oak, and sugar pine become much more common south of 44N - these are both drought-resistant and grow in higher elevations. The northern edge of the Great Basin also runs pretty close to 44N in central to eastern Oregon.

Indeed. I'm something of a botany geek, and the flora to use in Southern Oregon is the Jepson Manual (i.e. the key to the plants of California).

1 hour ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

You’ve had a string of disappointing winters, but that doesn’t mean you are not part of the PNW. Vancouver, BC (the City of Vancouver proper, outlying areas have fared significantly better) has had a string of such winters as well (and there was plenty of whining about it in the Canadian forum last winter).

Granted, it’s not been the snow shut-out Eugene has had, but the annual snow totals tend to be higher up this way, so the end result is still anomalously low. And it’s not been that long since Eugene had some truly epic winter storms (of the sort points north missed out of). Your turn will happen again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

You’ve had a string of disappointing winters, but that doesn’t mean you are not part of the PNW. Vancouver, BC (the City of Vancouver proper, outlying areas have fared significantly better) has had a string of such winters as well (and there was plenty of whining about it in the Canadian forum last winter).

Granted, it’s not been the snow shut-out Eugene has had, but the annual snow totals tend to be higher up this way, so the end result is still anomalously low. And it’s not been that long since Eugene had some truly epic winter storms (of the sort points north missed out of). Your turn will happen again.

I'm moreso speaking about the lack of cold anomalies. We had a legendary snow event in Feb, 2019 so that's not the issue at all. Has anywhere else in the PNW gone almost 1600 days since their last sub-freezing high?

Also, when people called this past winter's event up your way a "regional event" I was like...okay so what region are we in? Since we're clearly not part of the PNW according to that logic.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z EPS shows the break down later next week... but it does not go into full troughing mode.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1621944000-1621944000-1623240000-10.gif

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-1621944000-1621944000-1623240000-10.gif

Whatever happens I’m certain it’ll result in a blowtorch here. Never fails.

New EPS weeklies suggest a nice bout of IO/E-Hem forcing begins around the summer solstice.

Would fit the idea of a more sustained cool period later in June and into July.

0606BC04-760B-455B-8B72-3080C185EEE8.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

New EPS weeklies suggest a nice bout of IO/E-Hem forcing begins around the summer solstice.

Would fit the idea of a more sustained cool period later in June and into July.

0606BC04-760B-455B-8B72-3080C185EEE8.png

Will be booking a 4th of July trip accordingly!    Of course that usually makes it end up being very nice here though. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Will be booking a 4th of July trip accordingly!    Of course that usually makes it end up being very nice here though. 

Individual days can buck the average. 🙂 Wouldn’t plan anything until 7-10 in advance, personally.

Picked up a decent amount of rain over the past few days it appears. 3.90" on the month, we should hit average.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

Individual days can buck the average. 🙂 Wouldn’t plan anything until 7-10 in advance, personally.

Exactly... which is why we always book with free cancellation up to the day before.  ;)