May 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... its lined up perfectly to dump rain here for a long time now.  

Has been absolutely dumping here. Looks like we will be in the line of fire for awhile. We’ve picked up 0.70” so far wettest day since mid February. The Road in front of my house turned to a river a bit ago 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

19 hours ago, Phil said:

Possibly, yes. That’s a pretty typical WPAC MJO pattern and manifests quite consistently under the phase 6-8 transit at this time of year. Which is precisely what we have upcoming.

I suspect we’ll diverge from 2013 more frequently as time progresses, though. That was a WPAC-centric low pass summer, while 2021 has more of an IO-IPWP low pass (though intraseasonal cycle appears dominant still, so it’s not a strong hold by any means).

2013 would be an ideal outcome for sure, or at least something similar. That summer was rife with progressive ridges, and consequently plenty of thunderstorm setups on their back ends.

Someone call me out if this is wrong, but I'm pretty sure 2013 had the most monsoonal moisture advected into the region since either 2006 or 1997. August/Sept boasted an uncharacteristic combination of both anomalous moisture and warmth. Sept 5th of that year is a memory dear to me.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Wow, even more than out here. 0.66” on the day so far,

might not even end up wettest day of the week (1.3” on 5/24)

E203A37A-C1A8-46FA-842D-38C56ED575C6.thumb.jpeg.c2724f0d0afae825cf3cb5cb966f3f63.jpeg

^ cool clouds from yesterday evening.

We had a moderate-heavy band sit over us for awhile...in a break now but it won’t last long. Might get close to an inch of rain today or over if we keep getting hit by these heavy downpours. What a blessing have really missed good heavy rain like we’ve seen on and off all day. 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

2013 would be an ideal outcome for sure, or at least something similar. That summer was rife with progressive ridges, and consequently plenty of thunderstorm setups on their back ends.

Someone call me out if this is wrong, but I'm pretty sure 2013 had the most monsoonal moisture advected into the region since either 2006 or 1997. August/Sept boasted an uncharacteristic combination of both anomalous moisture and warmth. Sept 5th of that year is a memory dear to me.

The only thing I remember about 2013 is the relentless midsummer humidity. Record shattering, in fact.

Don’t want to repeat that year.

• Excited 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The only thing I remember about 2013 is the relentless midsummer humidity. Record shattering, in fact.

Don’t want to repeat that year.

Were there at least an increased number of afternoon thunderstorms?

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

It's been a remarkably nasty day here today with strong gusty winds earlier and now a long duration downpour, with the daily total approaching an inch.  We also had some brief very heavy showers with hail earlier.  I'm pretty surprised there was no thunder.

The current temperature is also fairly remarkable at 49 degrees.  It appears tomorrow night and maybe Saturday night may be our last legit shot at lows in the 30s in some places.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

15 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Were there at least an increased number of afternoon thunderstorms?

In 2013? No more than usual, from what I can recall. Lots of heavy rainers.

2014 was a much better thunderstorm year with all the troughing. Haven’t seen anything like that since.

Trades are finally starting to eat away at the subsurface warmth. Almost finished with this DOKW cycle.

722721D3-D734-4B2E-B828-F985FE28DB94.gif

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's been a remarkably nasty day here today with strong gusty winds earlier and now a long duration downpour, with the daily total approaching an inch.  We also had some brief very heavy showers with hail earlier.  I'm pretty surprised there was no thunder.

The current temperature is also fairly remarkable at 49 degrees.  It appears tomorrow night and maybe Saturday night may be our last legit shot at lows in the 30s in some places.

0.79” so far today. 49 degrees here as well. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

What a day for rainfall. 0.81” and another shower is lining up to hit us again. Pushed us to 1.68” for the month and 5.52” for the spring. Last time we had this much precip was on 2/15 when we had 1.27” of rain/snowmelt. Quite a stormy day with the wind blowing strong for this time of year. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I would have mistaken this for an early fall day if the tree's weren't so green

Yeah then we’re in the 80s on Monday. Was a pretty decent storm today only thing that woulda made it better is some thunder and lightning. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

4 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Seasonal averages are pretty close to what we see in late September right now. This is normal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah then we’re in the 80s on Monday. Was a pretty decent storm today only thing that woulda made it better is some thunder and lightning. 

And then probably back in the 50s with rain the following weekend.   Hopefully our trees can survive a couple sunny days.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I swear I heard some thunder earlier but it could have been some planes going to JBLM. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Seasonal averages are pretty close to what we see in late September right now. This is normal.

Normal high today in the Seattle area is in the upper 60s.    It was in the 50s in most places.   Today was remarkably cool and wet for late May.     Today was statistically as normal as a day around 80. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

And then probably back in the 50s with rain the following weekend.   Hopefully our trees can survive a couple sunny days.  

We will see the gfs doesn’t seem as onboard with the rain as the euro is yet. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I swear I heard some thunder earlier but it could have been some planes going to JBLM. 

I don’t think there was much more than a couple random ones here and there today. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

We will see the gfs doesn’t seem as onboard with the rain as the euro is yet. 

I don't suspect this will be too warm... per the 00Z GFS.   And I am sure it will produce lots of c-zone rain.

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-2883600.png

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I don't suspect this will be too warm... per the 00Z GFS.   And I am sure it will produce lots of c-zone rain.

Maybe it will be a juneuary type June this year. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

24 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

The high temperature in Seattle today is exactly normal for April 26th and October 15th. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Definitely looks/smells/feels/tastes/sounds like winter.

When will spring or even summer-like weather make an appearance!!?

• lol 3

Just now, BLI snowman said:

Definitely looks/smells/feels/tastes/sounds like winter.

When will spring or even summer like weather make an appearance!!?

Indeed... very wintry outside right now.   

The weekend will be a nice break!  

We just ticked over on .5", which I believe was on the high end of projections for my area. 

While looking at my weather data for the day, its interesting to see how the air quality completely tanked when an army of 4-5 city workers with weedwhackers showed up to clear the storm water pond behind my house.  And they had very high powered models based on all the racket they were making.

Just looking at the weather for Hot-lanta next week, and it could certainly be worse....lower 80's with the classic "scattered thunderstorms" towards the end of next week.  Just enough heat (and humidity of course) to remind me why sought out northern climates.

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

What an odd pattern on the 00Z GFS...

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-3067200.png

Ahhh, June snow! Nothing like it.

• Snow 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

At least the 00Z GFS was more progressive with the troughing in the mid range compared to its previous runs.   That is more in line with the EPS which nudged the offshore ridge inland after the trough passes.

47 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

What a day for rainfall. 0.81” and another shower is lining up to hit us again. Pushed us to 1.68” for the month and 5.52” for the spring. Last time we had this much precip was on 2/15 when we had 1.27” of rain/snowmelt. Quite a stormy day with the wind blowing strong for this time of year. 

It’s funny how we tend to track dry season rainstorms like we do snowstorms in the winter.  Both are pretty fun in my opinion although snow is a little more. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

It’s funny how we tend to track dry season rainstorms like we do snowstorms in the winter.  Both are pretty fun in my opinion although snow is a little more. 

This spring has been so dead in terms of interesting weather besides today honestly. Plus we really needed the rain it’s been a dry spring. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Side note... many of us described the mid-April warm spell as being summer-like.   We can get summery and wintry type days in spring.   Happens all the time.

A day with 40-50 mph winds and frequent heavy squalls and temps mostly in the 50s and now in the 40s this evening... that qualifies as winter-like.   Sorry if that offends Justin.   😁

Up to 0.12" on the day, but the big story was the wind. Gusts were close to 40 mph and the fruit trees were not happy, but we didn't lose any of them which is good. Today actually had stronger winds than most of the storms this past winter.

• Like 2

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... many of us described the mid-April warm spell as being summer-like.   We can get summery and wintry type days in spring.   Happens all the time.

A day with 40-50 mph winds and frequent heavy squalls and temps mostly in the 50s and now in the 40s this evening... that qualifies as winter-like.   Sorry if that offends Justin.   😁

The 65 at PDX definitely stood out as it tied the all time monthly record max set in 1993.

Anomalous.