Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Recommended Posts

It's 57 degrees.  I think back 3 months ago today.  I would have had the house windows open letting in the fresh air after 1.5 feet of snow a week before.

Today, the house is closed and the heat is on.  This feels more like La Nina than the last several weeks.

PDX still sitting at a trace for the day, just 0.07" here so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1.05" of rainfall/hail yesterday afternoon/evening with the strong storms that moved through here before changing to heavy snowfall around midnight. Measured 7" this morning! Pretty incredible for May

3" of snow in 2 hours tonight and still dumping. A very good overperformer 

Clip of the storm from beginning to end.....very 😎 cool!  https://video.nest.com/clip/1fd9d2f06b77452cbc676458b5263e1e.mp4  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

It's 57 degrees.  I think back 3 months ago today.  I would have had the house windows open letting in the fresh air after 1.5 feet of snow a week before.

Today, the house is closed and the heat is on.  This feels more like La Nina than the last several weeks.

PDX still sitting at a trace for the day, just 0.07" here so far.

Might be the only time this spring it’s actually felt like a La Niña! 61/42 here today. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-3

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-2.32”

Warm Season Rainfall-5.20”

Warmest high temp-84

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Might be the only time this spring it’s actually felt like a La Niña! 61/42 here today. 

Yeah... the last few days have been exactly what I expected all spring.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man the border guards are being brutal on the showers trying to come down out of Canada.  Heavy rain and lots of lightning both yesterday and today moving south from the Chilliwack to Maple Ridge area, and they just fall apart when they hit the border....I'm guessing they are not too keen on the "invasive drug searches"  😲

  • Sad 1
  • Storm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cloud said:

I'll take what you said if only we somehow miraculously pull off a summer without the fire and smoke. Very difficult to do these past few years.

Technically we did that last year... there was almost no smoke or fires in JJA.    Of course then September happened... but that was in fall.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Currently 49 in North Bend in the middle of the afternoon... normal high for May 20th at the Snoqualmie Falls station is 67.

Juuuuust a bit colder than normal for this area today.    

35 degree afternoon high here today. 27 tonight with snow. Even colder tomorrow with more snow. Normal high in Bozeman is 65 today so you don't have it all that bad.
 

49 sounds downright balmy right now!

  • Like 3

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 140.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 12.0"

Highest snow depth: 20.0"

Coldest high: -7.0º

Coldest low: -21º

Number of subzero days: 12

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kayla said:

35 degree afternoon high here today. 27 tonight with snow. Even colder tomorrow with more snow.
 

49 sounds downright balmy right now!

The West always gets the good weather these days.

Meanwhile it was 93°F here today. 🥵

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Phil said:

The West always gets the good weather these days.

Meanwhile it was 93°F here today. 🥵

Yuck.

Saw a bunch of 10-15" snowfall reports in West Central MT today but only a trace here. Expecting 3-6" here tonight.

  • Like 4

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 140.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 12.0"

Highest snow depth: 20.0"

Coldest high: -7.0º

Coldest low: -21º

Number of subzero days: 12

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Yuck.

Saw a bunch of 10-15" snowfall reports in West Central MT today but only a trace here. Expecting 3-6" here tonight.

 

I think most people would use that term to describe half a foot of snow in late May.    😄

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_fh6-384.thumb.gif.ef273f6ec939fcd73887a4c957368fb0.gif

There is some semblance of hope.... It looks like the next week or so won't be excessively warm or windy. For all the dryness we've been experiencing, a true fire weather pattern has still yet to materialize in short range guidance. After all, cooler cloudier weather, while not necessarily wet, isn't going to entice fire development.

There is a realistic possibility that we can avoid a mega fire event if we limit the amount of dry easterlies this summer (though a few are inevitable.) Admittedly, we are in damage control mode right now; soils south of Portland are pathetically dry and fuel indices are out of this world; but the world hasn't quite ended yet, and there are routes our weather could take (even in a relatively ridgy regime) that could "limit" fire development, so to speak.

Wishing you all to the south the best, this is going to be a scary summer for y'all.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kayla said:

35 degree afternoon high here today. 27 tonight with snow. Even colder tomorrow with more snow. Normal high in Bozeman is 65 today so you don't have it all that bad.
 

49 sounds downright balmy right now!

It actually started getting nicer during the afternoon as that huge ULL began to nudge eastward towards you and its a pretty nice evening now.    Tomorrow and Saturday look beautiful with highs close 70 tomorrow and into the low 70s on Saturday.    Much closer to normal for late May.

 

nb 5-20.png

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

 

I think most people would use that term to describe half a foot of snow in late May.    😄

While I don't love late May snow I'll take the moisture and will happily take it over 93 degrees with humidity any day!

  • Like 3

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 140.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 12.0"

Highest snow depth: 20.0"

Coldest high: -7.0º

Coldest low: -21º

Number of subzero days: 12

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_fh6-384.thumb.gif.ef273f6ec939fcd73887a4c957368fb0.gif

There is some semblance of hope.... It looks like the next week or so won't be excessively warm or windy. For all the dryness we've been experiencing, a true fire weather pattern has still yet to materialize in short range guidance. After all, cooler cloudier weather, while not necessarily wet, isn't going to entice fire development.

There is a realistic possibility that we can avoid a mega fire event if we limit the amount of dry easterlies this summer (though a few are inevitable.) Admittedly, we are in damage control mode right now; soils south of Portland are pathetically dry and fuel indices are out of this world; but the world hasn't quite ended yet, and there are routes our weather could take (even in a relatively ridgy regime) that could "limit" fire development, so to speak.

Wishing you all to the south the best, this is going to be a scary summer for y'all.

It’s mid to late May. Fire risk is obviously low in the short term even if favorable fire weather conditions were to develop. We could be in an awful spot in about 2-3 months though, assuming things stay drier than average going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jesse said:

It’s mid to late May. Fire risk is obviously low in the short term even if favorable fire weather conditions were to develop. We could be in an awful spot in about 2-3 months though, assuming things stay drier than average going forward.

Obviously. But with how dry the soils are right now, any day without a crippling fire pattern is a day to enjoy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

58/40 day here. A little more shower activity than the last few days but still only .08”

Now the next dry stretch begins and goes on for who knows how long.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

Obviously. But with how dry the soils are right now, any day without a crippling fire pattern is a day to enjoy.

I will agree with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Technically we did that last year... there was almost no smoke or fires in JJA.    Of course then September happened... but that was in fall.  

The fact of the matter is that it still happened and it also affected a few members on this forum's properties and also very close to residential areas should not be minimized just because it happened in September. I mean, do we really want to add September to the list now following JJA for the fire season?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The fact of the matter is that it still and happened and it also affected a few members on this forum's properties and also very close to residential areas should not be minimized just because it happened in September. 

Did not minimize it... just pointing out that there was almost no smoke all of last summer.   People talk like we were choking in smoke from Memorial Day onward but in reality it was a gorgeous summer.   That major trough event on Labor Day came at the worst possible time though.    How many times has Andrew had 60-70 mph east winds there?    That area is normally completely protected from the east wind.    That was an insanely unfortunate situation in terms of timing and strength.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be another very photogenic sunset in the Seattle area.   We have a mid level deck from debris clouds with the sun now sinking below the western edge of clouds.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

And its starting... a little rain moving in from the NE with the setting sun below the cloud deck to the west.

 

nb 5-20-2.png

  • Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

 

I think most people would use that term to describe half a foot of snow in late May.    😄

No way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

20210520_203846.jpg

Wow!

Weather Data for Klamath Falls, OR
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Snowfall (with % of seasonal average)

2010-2011 - 60.70" (168%)
2011-2012 - 49.00" (136%)
2012-2013 - 25.10" (70%)
2013-2014 - 9.05" (25%)
2014-2015 - 2.90" (8%)
2015-2016 - 54.45" (151%)
2016-2017 - 63.00" (175%)
2017-2018 - 18.10" (50%)
2018-2019 - 52.30" (145%)
2019-2020 - 37.00" (103%)
2020-2021 - 19.00" (53%)
 
2021 Thunderstorms (1)
05/14, 06/--
 
Biggest Snowstorm - 18.4" (Jan 3-4 2017 - 26 hours)
Top 5 Daily Snows: 12.40" (01/03/2017), 8.20" (11/23/2010), 7.50" (12/13/2015), 6.60" (02/07/2017), 6.20" (03/10/2019)
Honorable Mention: 6.00" (03/20/2012), 6.00" (02/28/2012), 6.00" (01/16/2020), 5.70" (12/14/2016), 5.50" (01/18/2012)
Max Depths: 21.00" (01/07/2017), 18.00" (12/24/2015), 13.00" (01/16/2020), 11.00" (11/23/2010), 9.50" (02/27/2019), 9.00" (02/28/2012)
 
T'storm Days: 10 (2020), 14 (2019), 16 (2018), 12 (2017), 13 (2016), 20 (2015), 21 (2014), 16 (2013), 2 (2012), 12 (2011)
1980-2015 Avg = 12
Severe T'storms: 6 (08/05/2020), (08/10/2019), (08/08/2017), (07/24/2017), (01/19/2016), (08/05/2012) 
"Almost" Severe: 2 (08/10/2017), (05/04/2016)
Vicinity Severe T'storms (close enough to hear, with official severe reports)
(06/26/2017), (08/05/2016), (07/09/2015), (07/05/2015), (06/09/2015), (08/05/2014), (08/04/2014), (08/22/2013), (08/12/2013), (09/12/2011), (09/04/2011)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

3" of snow in 2 hours tonight and still dumping. A very good overperformer 

20210520_210629.jpg

20210520_205727.jpg

Holy smokes! Lucky dog u.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good stuff here! The atmosphere has a pulse again! 

  • Popcorn 1

Weather Data for Klamath Falls, OR
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Snowfall (with % of seasonal average)

2010-2011 - 60.70" (168%)
2011-2012 - 49.00" (136%)
2012-2013 - 25.10" (70%)
2013-2014 - 9.05" (25%)
2014-2015 - 2.90" (8%)
2015-2016 - 54.45" (151%)
2016-2017 - 63.00" (175%)
2017-2018 - 18.10" (50%)
2018-2019 - 52.30" (145%)
2019-2020 - 37.00" (103%)
2020-2021 - 19.00" (53%)
 
2021 Thunderstorms (1)
05/14, 06/--
 
Biggest Snowstorm - 18.4" (Jan 3-4 2017 - 26 hours)
Top 5 Daily Snows: 12.40" (01/03/2017), 8.20" (11/23/2010), 7.50" (12/13/2015), 6.60" (02/07/2017), 6.20" (03/10/2019)
Honorable Mention: 6.00" (03/20/2012), 6.00" (02/28/2012), 6.00" (01/16/2020), 5.70" (12/14/2016), 5.50" (01/18/2012)
Max Depths: 21.00" (01/07/2017), 18.00" (12/24/2015), 13.00" (01/16/2020), 11.00" (11/23/2010), 9.50" (02/27/2019), 9.00" (02/28/2012)
 
T'storm Days: 10 (2020), 14 (2019), 16 (2018), 12 (2017), 13 (2016), 20 (2015), 21 (2014), 16 (2013), 2 (2012), 12 (2011)
1980-2015 Avg = 12
Severe T'storms: 6 (08/05/2020), (08/10/2019), (08/08/2017), (07/24/2017), (01/19/2016), (08/05/2012) 
"Almost" Severe: 2 (08/10/2017), (05/04/2016)
Vicinity Severe T'storms (close enough to hear, with official severe reports)
(06/26/2017), (08/05/2016), (07/09/2015), (07/05/2015), (06/09/2015), (08/05/2014), (08/04/2014), (08/22/2013), (08/12/2013), (09/12/2011), (09/04/2011)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kayla said:

While I don't love late May snow I'll take the moisture and will happily take it over 93 degrees with humidity any day!

The humidity hasn’t started here yet, actually. Makes this pattern much more tolerable than it otherwise would be.

It’s only a matter of time, though.

  • lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Substation caught on fire last night in south downtown Springfield. City would have burned if this were August.

Partly cloudy and a comfortable 44F. Got up to 64F so a nice cool day.

  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

Drum beat getting a little louder regarding a pretty nice holiday weekend before Junuary sets in.☺️

I think the ECMWF is saying you jinxed it.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

68/38 with brilliant blue skies here today.  Some nice looking TCU buildups over the mountains to the west.  Sure is getting dry though. Just 0.39” of rain in May and non irrigated  lawns are browning out

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Blob said:

Fox 12 is having fun with their morning weather man

received_508190756974367.jpeg

Not so low key product placement.

Partly to mostly cloudy with a low of 43 here. Shop Amazon. 

  • Troll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After tomorrow, forecast shows rain every day through the 10 day forecast.  We’ll see if that gets pulled back.  This comes after rain on the last 4 days. 

  • Weenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jcmcgaffey said:

After tomorrow, forecast shows rain every day through the 10 day forecast.  We’ll see if that gets pulled back.  This comes after rain on the last 4 days. 

.        just a relentlessly wet spring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

.        just a relentlessly wet spring. 

It’s actually been pretty dry and sunny overall.  I would say the driest/sunniest I ever remember which was why I was surprised it was so green east of the mountains still.  I’m assuming the record snow has helped with all the runoff. 

95BE5E06-71F5-4D01-A5B5-1A2D1FAC5F85.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • scream 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

It’s actually been pretty dry and sunny overall.  I would say the driest/sunniest I ever remember.

Yeah but that ten day phonecast kinda sours the whole thing. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah but that ten day phonecast kinda sours the whole thing. :(

I’m actually looking forward to it but maybe I should buy some sun lamps to help me get through just in case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6" on the snowboard this morning. Didn't realize that record low highs are around 45 degrees right now so yesterday was a new record and today will also surely be another.

Dropped down to 24F, currently 26F. So glad that we installed greenhouses over our garden this year!

1540370774_ScreenShot2021-05-21at8_26_04AM.thumb.png.49fc0dce6399b54faf2c1808a810598a.png

 

  • Like 8
  • scream 1

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 140.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 12.0"

Highest snow depth: 20.0"

Coldest high: -7.0º

Coldest low: -21º

Number of subzero days: 12

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to post
Share on other sites

First day with a legit cicada chorus. Right now it’s just the alien drone (magicicada septendecim).

But man is it creepy. Forgot just how creepy until now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

68/38 with brilliant blue skies here today.  Some nice looking TCU buildups over the mountains to the west.  Sure is getting dry though. Just 0.39” of rain in May and non irrigated  lawns are browning out

0.79” here so far this month...better than up that way but not by much. 4.63” since March 1st. 

Warm Season Stats

+80s-3

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-2.32”

Warm Season Rainfall-5.20”

Warmest high temp-84

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcmcgaffey said:

I’m actually looking forward to it but maybe I should buy some sun lamps to help me get through just in case.

The latest member of the forum to fall victim to the horrors of seasonal first world problems disorder. 😢

  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • iFred unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...