May 2021 Pacific Northwest Weather Obs

24 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Thank god there there is no salmon with cheese this time.🤣

And, if you don't mind me asking, why are your kids vegetarian?

My wife has been a life long vegetarian so she believes pretty strongly in it and wanted the kids to be the same...Though when they are old enough to decide on their own if they still want to be or not she will be fine with whatever they choose...At least that’s what she says now haha! 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

My wife has been a life long vegetarian so she believes pretty strongly in it and wanted the kids to be the same...Though when they are old enough to decide on their own if they still want to be or not she will be fine with whatever they choose...At least that’s what she says now haha! 

I can respect that, but eating real hot dogs as a kid is a right of passage!!

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

15 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I can respect that, but eating real hot dogs as a kid is a right of passage!!

I agree!! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Down to 57F and clear.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Parenting is 50/50, just sayin. 

I’m really indifferent on this subject so it’s all good. The kids have shown no interest in wanting to eat meat, and my wife is a very smart vegetarian and knows exactly the healthiest foods and types to get all the nutrition that some people end up lacking when trying to be a vegetarian. And she and the kids are about as healthy as you can get so there must be something to it...And I have definitely been much healthier since we moved in together 13yrs ago. 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I’m really indifferent on this subject so it’s all good. The kids have shown no interest in wanting to eat meat, and my wife is a very smart vegetarian and knows exactly the healthiest foods and types to get all the nutrition that some people end up lacking when trying to be a vegetarian. And she and the kids are about as healthy as you can get so there must be something to it...And I have definitely been much healthier since we moved in together 13yrs ago. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it is totally awesome for them, but when I open my BBQ joint I guess you will have to visit by yourself, lol.  Although, there would be a couple sides that could work for them!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

I don’t eat beef, chicken, or turkey. Texture thing.

Maybe Chris can change my mind next time I’m out there.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

You just haven't had them cooked the right way yet,  gonna be at least 2 years at this point for me to prove it though!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Wedding went off without a hitch! And it didn't rain on us, it came through overnight!

Looks like Springfield managed to pick up a half inch of rain but the airport only had 0.33 good lord what a disaster.  And it looks like more warmer and drier than normal weather on the way...shocker.

Ahhh man sorry to hear that, usually weddings go off with a hitch(ing).

Thank you everybody, I'll be here all week, try the veal!

Seriously though, congrats and glad the weather cooperated!!

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Huh....I'm the exact opposite, pretty much if it doesn't sh** in a field first I won't eat it.  The only veggies I will eat are corn or potatoes.  My mom could occasionally get a few green beans in me as a kid but only after they'd been cooked for hours in fatback.  My wife was so grossed out when my mom made them on one of our trips back to Georgia.  The only way I'll do fruit is in a smoothie.  I don't do seafood either.  It's a texture thing for me as well.

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Downvote 1

Down to 45 so far tonight, fell asleep last night with the windows and sliding glass door open and the house was 55 this morning (the low outside last night was 40).  If looks could kill, I would be dead after the look my daughter gave me this morning when she came down for breakfast (she HATES the cold).

• lol 2
  • Snow 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Huh....I'm the exact opposite, pretty much if it doesn't sh** in a field first I won't eat it.  The only veggies I will eat are corn or potatoes.  My mom could occasionally get a few green beans in me as a kid but only after they'd been cooked for hours in fatback.  My wife was so grossed out when my mom made them on one of our trips back to Georgia.  The only way I'll do fruit is in a smoothie.  I don't do seafood either.  It's a texture thing for me as well.

I am kind of the same, but I do like some seafood.  And, canned green beans is the way to go with butter and Mrs. Dash!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MossMan said:

362A1391-A12A-4365-89EC-A177BF5CC4B7.jpeg.c20f1e660f5189fa619b8d309f2cb42b.jpeg

• Excited 1
  • lol 4
  • Troll 4

I must admit I was a bit disappointed by the final third of April, but it looks like we will be getting back on track again.  A huge spike and then a huge crash coming up.  I love the cool northerly flow being shown a bit down the road. 

I still ended up with an average low of 38 last month in spite of pretty lame mins in the final stretch.  As far as monthly averages...let's hope for 3 out of 4 below normal for Feb through May.

• lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

25 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Got down to 45 this morning up to 50 now with some light rain starting up. 

42 here.  Pretty cool for this late.

• Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

54F and partly cloudy. Got a half inch of rain on the 1st tho and it looks like some more much-needed rain later this week.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

41 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I must admit I was a bit disappointed by the final third of April, but it looks like we will be getting back on track again.  A huge spike and then a huge crash coming up.  I love the cool northerly flow being shown a bit down the road. 

I still ended up with an average low of 38 last month in spite of pretty lame mins in the final stretch.  As far as monthly averages...let's hope for 3 out of 4 below normal for Feb through May.

The "spike" is pretty tepid now.

But a huge crash next week for sure... look at that deep trough one week from today on the 12Z GFS.   

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-0691200.png

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Had some light rain a couple hours ago but nothing since. Looks like the main slug of precipitation is starting to move in though. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Very impressive bout of IO forcing coming up. Water is on fire across the basin and convergence from trades is building.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Had some light rain a couple hours ago but nothing since. Looks like the main slug of precipitation is starting to move in though. 

12Z ECMWF is actually pretty impressive with this little event... it rains from this afternoon into tomorrow morning out here.    Might pick up another .75 which will put us at over 3 inches of rain in the last 9 days.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-0151200.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Very impressive bout of IO forcing coming up. Water is on fire across the basin and convergence from trades is building.

This will produce a trade burst smack dab over the IPWP/Maritime continent with time. It reminds me of the 2010-12 period which had lots of WPAC trades and brief warm season DOKWs/ENSO spikes. Though there’s distinction w/ WPAC OHC this season.

If this were midsummer we’d probably be looking at an ugly pattern that would roast everyone (except the PNW, ironically 😂). But in May it is a changeable relationship statistically. Much more state dependent.

Today’s dose of Skykomish! Still some scattered snow up the hill. Currently 60 here. 

6AE509CA-8B74-4585-91C1-6B3E99D7CF8E.jpeg

784C4D70-9A4A-4172-8EA3-5D92EFCD6CDA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Walked out on the bridge at Skykomish since I had a few extra minutes...I just love this area! Oh and the bridge was built in 1939...Analog? 

DCC28EAA-151F-4C2A-A623-F480C33C93FB.jpeg

F080D574-6EF9-473D-A54B-788C1E8ADD47.jpeg

2BB3B5BA-02B0-49D9-A71B-FD5057BE98DC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Here’s a helpful resource from Dr. Paul Roundy on seasonal cycle of MJO relationship(s) to the extratropical wave field.

I’d recommend bookmarking it. 🤓

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/rmmcyc/index200reg.html

• Sun 1

As can be seen, the ugly phases for the West during midsummer are phases 5-8 (Pacific/WHEM), while phases 1-4 (Indian Ocean/EHEM) are troughier out there.

But that relationship changes markedly from season to season.

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF is actually pretty impressive with this little event... it rains from this afternoon into tomorrow morning out here.    Might pick up another .75 which will put us at over 3 inches of rain in the last 9 days.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-0151200.png

0.30”-0.40” here not bad. Euro shows my location being among the wetter ones over the next week. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0