Global Warming .. Mitigation - "Fun" with the Bigger Picture ...

- 
... As with the broader idea of "Global Warming" of course, a question not dealt with more simply, ...

..... with accounting for the idea that with the even wider scope and potential attachable to even the mention of the phrase "Global Warming" .. it's of course being difficult even, to find a beginning point for, .. or appropriate way, in which, to phrase, the question., ...

$ ..... So where looking at the idea that our Climate is, actually "warming", ...

Qualifying here {.. i.e. either whether more anthropomorphically (Or more as a result of a more human caused set of elements.), or not. This given also of course, that you're not of the view that as opposed to the idea that the planet where looked at more as a whole might be "warming" more, but instead "actually" "cooling". And then, with these ideas, otherwise, that what / whatever "warming", either whether is or might be going on, is .. might, or may be, just more the result of more natural processes at work more, either whether more "established" or perhaps not yet appreciated more fully.}, ....

$$  >  .... What do we do about it. ?

..... I've initiated this thread toward the idea of perhaps hearing "your" thoughts, where having considered this question.

i.e. providing you with the opportunity to express your thinking more in particular, where considering it.

And with this idea, and more toward that .. of "our" (?) perhaps starting the "ball rolling" here (so to speak.), ... and with my having noted some thinking posted elsewhere within this broader forum focusing on this question, ...

.. Within the posts following, more immediately below, I've worked to re-post some of those thoughts. .. As a basic "jumping off" point. ..... to whatever discussion that might perhaps follow them.

My more basic thinking here again, if not more apparent, only suggested above perhaps, being that different thinking on this subject more specific, popping up invariably elsewhere throughout this wider forum (Even where looking at the idea more broadly, elsewhere, more beyond its more simple confines.), focusing more on this aspect of the "problem" / "idea" of "Global Warming", might best be looked at here.

---

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our futures with respect to planetary destruction were just as bleak in 2011 as they were this past summer and fall.

.... Also, I truly believe that there is something kind of sick about celebrating this kind of ridiculous warmth when it is a symptom of such a potentially catastrophic problem. I know you disagree, that's just my thing. Then again, I also understand the merit of taking it as it comes. It leads to a happier existence.

There's something in me that can't just give in and embrace it completely, though, especially considering there technically ARE measures we can take to avoid complete disaster. More new power from solar in the United States than ever in 2014. Heck, Germany almost runs on solar completely. Those kinds of figures make me feel better. I just don't get the "F*** it, we're doomed anyway, might as well enjoy the ride" mentality that some seem to have. Seems like a mindset that leads to complacency and inaction which is at epidemic levels in parts of this country.

... I haven't seen any more of a smoking gun AGW-wise in the recent past.  Our planet is a runaway train.  If we've caused the majority of where we're going, which I really doubt is primarily the case, then that's where we're going.

.... being realistic about the fact that as a planet we are no where near a level of advancement to stop being ravenous consumers of natural resources ...  There's just no way at this point to make the kind of truly meaningful changes which are deemed to be "needed" without crippling the system.

---

I still think the trillions of dollars it would take to "reverse" global warming would be money well spent.

#taxandspend!

I think moving away from a fossil fuels based economy is essential to our future survival as a species, even if by some fluke carbon emissions do not have the impact we have assumed.

But then again I am just an idealistic 20-something who has no idea what it's like to be a jaded 30-something. ;)

Solar is becoming highly viable and a switch would benefit everyone.

Germany is a world leader in solar power and they have one of the strongest economies in Europe. It doesn't always have to be one or the other.

... correlation not [always] imply[ing] causation. Germany is the the power house it is [more as result of] fiscal prudence, a strong industrial history, and the Saar valley, not .. their progressive super green strategies.

Of course. ... My point is that the embrace of green technology hasn't crippled their economy beyond all recognition ... . If anything it has given them a bit of a boost.

---

Do you really think it's realistic given the fragility of our system, let alone less diverse economies, to expect it to "happen" in, let's say, your lifetime?

Everyone would love to see a worldwide move from fossil fuel dependence[. B]ut realizing the fact [that] a rogue shift away from it without considering the whole board would be a perfect recipe for a system wide collapse. I don't see how an educated, pragmatic view has to always be chalked up as jaded.

... It's the arrogance of man. Every generation has to believe they abide in a state of peaked historical significance with respect to existence.

200 years from now there will still be a push to make things better, ascend to a utopic state, etc. We're still in our infancy intellectually, technologically.

---

Of course it won't happen overnight and of course the varied economies of the world will take time to adjust. Nothing wrong with starting to make small, incremental steps now though.

We've made progress. Regulation is smarter and technology/engineering has made us more productive with less. But our systems overall are a fragile animal.

Every little bit helps. I think a substantial shift is possible in our lifetimes, and we should be doing everything we can to facilitate it.

---

The battle cries over the last few decades have been that it's essentially now or never.  Do you actually think the path we're on will ultimately be effective[?  O]r that a much more resigned effort, sacrificing in other areas, is imperative?  

What kind of car do you drive[?  A]nd do you sustain yourself entirely off the grid?

"Physics for Future Presidents" @, by Prof. Richard Muller, UC Berkeley.  @

... "Physics for Future Presidents", the course. Taught my Prof. Richard Muller. At UC Berkeley.

Video-lecture, no. 2 .. ""Atoms and Heat II". -Spring of 2006". -Spring of 2006

---

-

Nuclear is highly viable. We should invest more in it.  ​

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@http://www.proxigee.com/ifred-dewey-phil_and_2_like-this.jpg  

I saw the first nuclear power plant in the us in decades will come in line within a year.

Haven't they ever seen The China Syndrome???

... "Physics for Future Presidents", the course. Taught my Prof. Richard Muller. At UC Berkeley.

Video-lecture, no. 7 .. "Nukes". -Spring of 2006

.. pre-requisit. (?) .. lectures, no. 5 and 6 ... "Radio Activity I and II".

---

• 2 weeks later...

-
With another quick look at the main question that I'd asked here above, within the initial post to this thread, ...

-
$ ..... So where looking at the idea that our Climate is, actually "warming", ...

Qualifying here {.. i.e. either whether more anthropomorphically (Or more as a result of a more human caused set of elements.), or not. This given also of course, that you're not of the view that as opposed to the idea that the planet where looked at more as a whole might be "warming" more, but instead "actually" "cooling". And then, with these ideas, otherwise, that what / whatever "warming", either whether is or might be going on, is .. might, or may be, just more the result of more natural processes at work more, either whether more "established" or perhaps not yet appreciated more fully.}, ....

$$  >  .... What do we do about it. ?

... Here's a personal view offered by the author of a book, along with more recent supplement(more digital, hypertext link navigable, and that I've provided access to over in a thread I've initiated, also on this subject, more toward the idea of "gathering" different more "useful" elements more substantial, to perhaps be focused on within a future more "scientific" discussion of this theme, here also in-forum. - http://theweatherfor...ussion/?p=71290 )—his main book, put on in 2008, entitled "The Discovery of Global Warming".

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/SWnote.htm

---

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

-
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/Opinion+global+pollution/10950478/story.html

Opinion: B.C.’s LNG can cut global pollution
China:  Country’s switch from coal to natural gas would have a substantial impact on emissions. ...
BY ELIZABETH AND RICHARD MULLER, SPECIAL TO THE SUN APRIL 7, 2015

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/526-global-warming/?p=78734

---