March 2015 Observations and Discussion

Tom

The models are hanging more of the western energy out west with each run.  The 12z GFS now has a nice-looking upper low over the sw conus that could be a major player next week.

Yep patterns are hard to break, but when it finally breaks we should see some nice events out of the SW i would think

Yep patterns are hard to break, but when it finally breaks we should see some nice events out of the SW i would think

Why does it keep shifting south?  Is the high pressure that strong?  Keep hoping for northward trend but things are not looking good.

Energy held back. High pressure as well. Shears the systems as it heads east

Why does it keep shifting south?  Is the high pressure that strong?  Keep hoping for northward trend but things are not looking good.

2-3 days ago the models showed a good chunk of western energy rounding the bend and getting pulled up ahead of(and phasing with) the next northern lobe of energy, but the last several runs have sped up the northern piece and slowed the western/southern piece.  Now the northern energy will simply sweep through fairly quietly for the I-80 corridor.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

This is comical. A couple of days ago we had a clipper on roids heading for eastern Nebraska and a system that had been showing up consistently in the same area on almost all models for this weekend that between the two of them were going to dump well over 12". Now it's looking like 3 or 4" if we're lucky. I believe someone made reference to maybe someone here on the forum will be the new Boston over the next couple of weeks. This just goes to show you, how insanely lucky you have to be if you were in Boston this year. First off, no place here in the central US should ever expect 90+" of snow in one month, but it shows how rare it is to be in the bullseye for system after system. It looks like Iowa for the storm tomorrow and now it looks like Kansas for the weekend storm. Wonder what the Euro and Canadian will show for 12Z

Might be tacking on more sub-zero nights this month, especially with a fresh layer of snow around.  Back to Back March opens with bitter cold/snow???  That's something that rarely happens around here.

Entirely possible but would probably mean a continued pattern of unphased supression

Boston under a WWA for 3-5inches. Neverending snow for them.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Entirely possible but would probably mean a continued pattern of unphased supression

A phased system would mean a more amplified trough that would tug down even colder air on the back side of the system.  I'd imagine it would increase the chances of colder air.

GFS backing down on the "warmth" in the longer range and looking colder now.  SST's would argue that a western ridge to continue throughout the month.  Don't see how the -EPO pattern would break.  On top of that, the GGEM/GFS/EURO ensembles showing signs of more blocking to develop as we head deeper into March which would produce even higher chances of below normal temps.  The winter pattern that keeps on giving.

GFS backing down on the "warmth" in the longer range and looking colder now.  SST's would argue that a western ridge to continue throughout the month.  Don't see how the -EPO pattern would break.  On top of that, the GGEM/GFS/EURO ensembles showing signs of more blocking to develop as we head deeper into March which would produce even higher chances of below normal temps.  The winter pattern that keeps on giving.

Can you remind me what has the winter pattern kept on giving? :P Bouts of cold with little to no snow? Well sign me up!!

Can you remind me what has the winter pattern kept on giving? :P Bouts of cold with little to no snow? Well sign me up!!

In terms of overall Winter weather, yes, snowfall in NE...a simple "NO"  :( .  We are seeing a different pattern evolving so hopefully NE can start cashing in on some snowfall.  The 3rd/4th system looks very interesting.  00z Euro tanked the NAO/AO towards neutral rather quickly during this period.  Might be a fluky run, but it may be "seeing" the higher latitude blocking trying to set up this month.

I think the Great Lakes have a real good chance of getting close to the all-time ice coverage this month.  It would be an extraordinary accomplishment given how this winter has evolved into a really cold back loaded season.  Lake Michigan may give that some problems as it still has alot of warmer waters.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/ncast/mswt-00.gif

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-28628022,width-640,resizemode-4/chilling-images-hudson-river-frozen-by-polar-vortex.jpg

Hudson River frozen.

http://philpenman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/140109_Hudson_River_Frozen_0051-820x546.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-28628015,width-640,resizemode-4/ice-flow-in-hudson-river.jpg

I think the Great Lakes have a real good chance of getting close to the all-time ice coverage this month.  It would be an extraordinary accomplishment given how this winter has evolved into a really cold back loaded season.  Lake Michigan may give that some problems as it still has alot of warmer waters.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/ncast/mswt-00.gif

Didnt the lakes start the winter quite cool?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-28628022,width-640,resizemode-4/chilling-images-hudson-river-frozen-by-polar-vortex.jpg

Hudson River frozen.

http://philpenman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/140109_Hudson_River_Frozen_0051-820x546.jpg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-28628015,width-640,resizemode-4/ice-flow-in-hudson-river.jpg

Starting to look like that movie "The Day After Tomorrow" :P ...

Starting to look like that movie "The Day After Tomorrow" :P ...

Yes, exactly, I was thinking about that myself. :D

Yes, exactly, I was thinking about that myself. :D

Might have another repeat year next year if the JAMSTEC is right....cooler than normal SST's hugging the East Coast would suggest a trough.  Another fast start to winter is on the table next season with these SST's.

What did the 12Z Euro show for the weekend storm?

Looks like an inch or so for Cedar Rapids, but that's only if the models don't trend even farther south and weaker.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

CFSv2 looks not looking pretty if your hoping for a warm Spring.  Wait till the "cold phase" of the LRC hits late March/early April.  Would not be surprised to see some snow events during that period in the region.  Spring snows not out of the question in this pattern.

• Like 1

CFSv2 looks not looking pretty if your hoping for a warm Spring.  Wait till the "cold phase" of the LRC hits late March/early April.  Would not be surprised to see some snow events during that period in the region.  Spring snows not out of the question in this pattern.

After having a 9" snowstorm on MAY 2, 2013 nothing surprises me anymore. I'm still hoping for a backloaded Winter.

• Like 3

Did the 18z gfs come q little north with the weekend storm compared to 12z? I am trying to compare on my phone. Just looks my area of south central Nebraska gets hit harder. Hopefully not just wishful thinking on my part.

It still doesn't look good for this weekend. Central and southern KS are still the prime area. However, there is another piece of energy that comes out on Monday that brings snow to Nebraska