The Weather Forums

Here's a few weather acronyms.  I plan on adding more as time goes by.  Feel free to suggest edits or add your own.

AO – Arctic oscillation – These are the winds circulating around the arctic.  When the winds are strong (AO+) cold air is bottled up at the pole.  Weaker winds (AO-) are more apt to let cold air escape.  It is measured by surface pressure in the arctic.  It can also be measured by the volume of weather weenies whining.

EPO – Eastern Pacific Oscillation – A measure of the pressure/heights over the eastern Pacific ocean.  When the pressure is lower (EPO-), there is more zonal flow in the western U.S.  Higher pressure (EPO+) leads to dryer, usually warmer, weather in the west and cold in the east.  EPO+ also leads to western weather weenies whining about dead polar bears, doomsday and the like.

MEI – Another way to measure Nino/Nina, but with more variables.

MJO – Ask Big Mack.  He’s forgotten more than I ever knew on the subject.

NAO- North Atlantic Oscillation – Measures the pressure difference over the North Atlantic Ocean.  I could explain it but a picture is better

http://s16.postimg.org/7msxennv9/Nao_indices_comparison.jpg

PDO – Pacific Decadal Oscillation – Measures the difference in sea temperatures between the Eastern and Western Pacific.  When the Eastern Pacific (PDO-) is cooler, La Ninas are more likely. When the Western Pacific is cooler (PDO+) El Ninos are more likely, leading to people in the northwest agonizing over global warming and demanding everybody give up their cars (except for them).  People with thousands of posts are confused by this term.

SST’s  - Sea surface temperatures.  High SST’s are a sign of the apocalypse.

• 9 months later...

Here's a few weather acronyms.  I plan on adding more as time goes by.  Feel free to suggest edits or add your own.

AO – Arctic oscillation – These are the winds circulating around the arctic.  When the winds are strong (AO+) cold air is bottled up at the pole.  Weaker winds (AO-) are more apt to let cold air escape.  It is measured by surface pressure in the arctic.  It can also be measured by the volume of weather weenies whining.

EPO – Eastern Pacific Oscillation – A measure of the pressure/heights over the eastern Pacific ocean.  When the pressure is lower (EPO-), there is more zonal flow in the western U.S.  Higher pressure (EPO+) leads to dryer, usually warmer, weather in the west and cold in the east.  EPO+ also leads to western weather weenies whining about dead polar bears, doomsday and the like.

MEI – Another way to measure Nino/Nina, but with more variables.

MJO – Ask Big Mack.  He’s forgotten more than I ever knew on the subject.

NAO- North Atlantic Oscillation – Measures the pressure difference over the North Atlantic Ocean.  I could explain it but a picture is better

http://s16.postimg.org/7msxennv9/Nao_indices_comparison.jpg

PDO – Pacific Decadal Oscillation – Measures the difference in sea temperatures between the Eastern and Western Pacific.  When the Eastern Pacific (PDO-) is cooler, La Ninas are more likely. When the Western Pacific is cooler (PDO+) El Ninos are more likely, leading to people in the northwest agonizing over global warming and demanding everybody give up their cars (except for them).  People with thousands of posts are confused by this term.

SST’s  - Sea surface temperatures.  High SST’s are a sign of the apocalypse.

Thats the mindset of liberals..... I totally agree with you on that there highlighted in bold. I call them bandwagoneers....