June Observations and Discussion

Tom

I recorded 0.63" of rain fall here at my location yesterday. The heavier rain fall was not widespread the official amount at the airport was 0.46" at Muskegon 0.08" at Kalamazoo 0.19" Holland and to the east at Lansing just just 0.05" fell. The overnight low here at my house was 67 and at this time it is cloudy with some light fog and 68 with a Dew Point of 67. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, westMJim said:

I recorded 0.63" of rain fall here at my location yesterday. The heavier rain fall was not widespread the official amount at the airport was 0.46" at Muskegon 0.08" at Kalamazoo 0.19" Holland and to the east at Lansing just just 0.05" fell. The overnight low here at my house was 67 and at this time it is cloudy with some light fog and 68 with a Dew Point of 67. 

Good for you guys.
Hopefully we can get a few pop up storms in se. Ia this afternoon, and maybe just a bit more numerous than yesterday. At least a few spots are seeing something.

45 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I just barely missed a nice thunderstorm. Just a couple miles to my north. We got a few sprinkles and a very brief shower is all 

The cell moved right over me.  I picked up a quick 0.25" of rain, enough to fill the rain barrel and moisten the soil a bit.  There was a bit of light thunder.  I wasn't expecting anything, so I'm happy.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The Ottumwa  Iowa area were fortunate  to catch some popups  monday and Tuesday  afternoons.   At my home .04 monday and at our shop 2/10  today.  A few scattered locations   no doubt approached half inch.  Generally  speaking  I'm thankful   as our part of iowa is  hanging on. I panted 4 trees monday and was quite damp, almost muddy a few inches down

• Like 3

Here at my house there was 0.03" of rain fall overnight. The official high of 87 was reached briefly just after 4PM but most of the day was in the low 80's The overnight low here at my house was 70 while the official overnight low was 69 at the airport. At this time it is 75 here at my house with a DP of 72 so it is humid this morning. But I was just outside and it is rather nice out and there is a nice smell in the air from some roses blooming in the area.

Muggy morning.  Our HS athletes had weights/running/plyos this morning from 6:30-8:00.  They were drenched when they finished.  Dew is in the upper 60's.  In the next few weeks irrigation will be in full swing, so the dews will only get worse.  I've had relatives from Texas say that Central Nebraska feels worse in July and early August than Texas when the crops are putting out moisture along with irrigation.  Makes me long for fall.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Muggy morning.  Our HS athletes had weights/running/plyos this morning from 6:30-8:00.  They were drenched when they finished.  Dew is in the upper 60's.  In the next few weeks irrigation will be in full swing, so the dews will only get worse.  I've had relatives from Texas say that Central Nebraska feels worse in July and early August than Texas when the crops are putting out moisture along with irrigation.  Makes me long for fall.  

No doubt. Iowa is similar with crops. Maybe worse. Especially SW and W.Central Iowa. Seen some dewpoints in 87-89F range over the years. None official of course. But it's miserable none the less. This summer is starting out dry, the question is whether a guy wants the moisture or not. It works it's evil both ways. I dream of last FEB. Summers here are too D**n long for someone raised in Minny.

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I wanted to get you  folks comments on dewpoints.  My davis pro reached 77 yesterday.    In the past several  yrs it will pass 80 dewpoint   quite  a few times.  I feel its accurate  since i live in a wooded area, along  a tributary of the desmoines  river and theres  some wetlands nearby.   It seems to me the most humid air pools in low spots of the Mississippi  basin iowa, Illinois  into southern wisc. A look a dewpoint  records bears that out. I think my highest is 84..  i must say  this seems quite extreme  compared  to other locations  ive lived at.  I  have my doubts its corn, soybean crop based. As this area was historically   swamps, wetlamds and high prarie grass. Which reminds me that  despite  extreme  humidity it often will not rain here.   There simply  is no lift in the atmosphere during  droughts, despite   horrid amazon like humidity.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

No doubt. Iowa is similar with crops. Maybe worse. Especially SW and W.Central Iowa. Seen some dewpoints in 87-89F range over the years. None official of course. But it's miserable none the less. This summer is starting out dry, the question is whether a guy wants the moisture or not. It works it's evil both ways. I dream of last FEB. Summers here are too D**n long for someone raised in Minny.

Great point. I’m also noticing our dews seem to have consistently been higher in the last decade. I’ve talked to several farmers that say it may be due to most in the area switching to center pivot irrigation. Used to be that everyone used pipe irrigation or even siphon tubes, that is all that my late grandfather used. Have looked for studies to see if our thoughts of increased dews are valid, but can’t find anything of consequence. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

I wanted to get you  folks comments on dewpoints.  My davis pro reached 77 yesterday.    In the past several  yrs it will pass 80 dewpoint   quite  a few times.  I feel its accurate  since i live in a wooded area, along  a tributary of the desmoines  river and theres  some wetlands nearby.   It seems to me the most humid air pools in low spots of the Mississippi  basin iowa, Illinois  into southern wisc. A look a dewpoint  records bears that out. I think my highest is 84..  i must say  this seems quite extreme  compared  to other locations  ive lived at.  I  have my doubts its corn, soybean crop based. As this area was historically   swamps, wetlamds and high prarie grass. Which reminds me that  despite  extreme  humidity it often will not rain here.   There simply  is no lift in the atmosphere during  droughts, despite   horrid amazon like humidity.  Thoughts?

Very interesting. You would think you’d consistently have torrential downpours. Might be missing that triggering mechanism. I do get close to a dry line coming off the high plains of Colorado in summer occasionally, which fires storms here at night. 

• Like 1

As the sun is rising above the horizon of Lake Michigan, we were seeing a partial Solar Eclipse.  Nothing compared to the one we had back in 2017 I think it was when it turned dark outside.  I remember that day vividly. 

Yesterday, we had a very comfortable lake breeze kick in later in the afternoon which brought down temps into the upper 70's.  It almost felt "chilly" with a somewhat strong NE wind.  I also felt a couple rain drops midday when the lake breeze interacted with the buoyant airmass.  Meantime, if your a fan of the Heat, some of us across the heartland could be experiencing 2012 type heat as a broad area may be seeing temps exceed 100F late next week!

1.png

2.png

• Sad 2
  • Sun 1
  • Downvote 1

Not a fan of the potential heat wave in the NWS morning disco. 
“The extended forecast period still appears to be mostly dry as ridging builds overhead. There are some very low-end chances for thunderstorms Sunday/Monday as weak disturbances persist under the ridge, but most spots will likely stay dry. High temperatures will trend upward back into the 90s through the end of the forecast period. In fact, the latest EPS ensemble shows 11 straight days of 90+ temperatures starting on Sunday. If this occurs, this would be the longest 90 degree stretch since 2012 (which was a significant drought year,”

• Sad 2
  • scream 1

Here at my house another 0.09" of rain fell in a brief but heavy downpour. Here everything is now nice and green my grass will need cutting again soon and the tomato plants are growing the best in years. The overnight low here was a warm 67 and at the time it is clear and 68. The DP is down to 64 this morning and in fact it feels nice out side and while my AC is on it is not running at this time

• Like 1

Another hot and humid day ahead with temps in the lower 90s and heat index around 100.  Things are starting to dry out and for the first time this year I'm in need of some rain.  Hoping for that MCS to roll across Neb and then turn south Friday night.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

As the sun is rising above the horizon of Lake Michigan, we were seeing a partial Solar Eclipse.  Nothing compared to the one we had back in 2017 I think it was when it turned dark outside.  I remember that day vividly. 

Yesterday, we had a very comfortable lake breeze kick in later in the afternoon which brought down temps into the upper 70's.  It almost felt "chilly" with a somewhat strong NE wind.  I also felt a couple rain drops midday when the lake breeze interacted with the buoyant airmass.  Meantime, if your a fan of the Heat, some of us across the heartland could be experiencing 2012 type heat as a broad area may be seeing temps exceed 100F late next week!

1.png

2.png

The GFS is much cooler in the same time frame.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

15 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Great point. I’m also noticing our dews seem to have consistently been higher in the last decade. I’ve talked to several farmers that say it may be due to most in the area switching to center pivot irrigation. Used to be that everyone used pipe irrigation or even siphon tubes, that is all that my late grandfather used. Have looked for studies to see if our thoughts of increased dews are valid, but can’t find anything of consequence. 

My .02 is it's usually enivrotranspiration- especially later in the year. A little early for full fledged envirotransp. But it's usually when you see that first 80F+ dewpoint. Carroll,IA has histroically high dewpoints because of the location of the sensor, airport surrounded by crops. MN all time dewpoint record of 88F in July of 2011 was taken literally in a cornfield in Madison,MN - the Morehead one has been questioned by many in the field. 134 heat index with that 88F dewpoint, that's absurd and has to be skewed by crops.

I know this is about MN, but they do a really good job there tracking climo/weather compared to most other sites (DSM being one) across the Upper Midwest. It's a good read on the dewpoint in the Twin Cities.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/twin_cities/mspdewpoint.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grizzcoat said:

My .02 is it's usually enivrotranspiration- especially later in the year. A little early for full fledged envirotransp. But it's usually when you see that first 80F+ dewpoint. Carroll,IA has histroically high dewpoints because of the location of the sensor, airport surrounded by crops. MN all time dewpoint record of 88F in July of 2011 was taken literally in a cornfield in Madison,MN - the Morehead one has been questioned by many in the field. 134 heat index with that 88F dewpoint, that's absurd and has to be skewed by crops.

I know this is about MN, but they do a really good job there tracking climo/weather compared to most other sites (DSM being one) across the Upper Midwest. It's a good read on the dewpoint in the Twin Cities.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/twin_cities/mspdewpoint.html

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. 

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

Another hot and humid day ahead with temps in the lower 90s and heat index around 100.  Things are starting to dry out and for the first time this year I'm in need of some rain.  Hoping for that MCS to roll across Neb and then turn south Friday night.

Same here. Extended outlook for precipitation not looking great. 

• Like 1