June Observations and Discussion

Tom

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Hoping one of these clusters can produce. I'm at .08in for the month.

image.png.8c8b4af0371401f5a60a81be79c7b116.png

image.png.f4ef90ac230a39ef2f018f2e9c0d526a.png

Pattern looks promising for your area throughout next week...I think a lot of us will eat away at the deficits and the drought will ease.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Those storms that formed in IA/IL last night I'm sure were something else if you were watching them to your south.  That light show was probably gorgeous.  Lot's of wind/hail storm reports from them last night.

1.gif

My new A/C was finally installed and working by midnight last night!  Gosh, I'm so thankful the techs committed to doing the job so quickly...how did people live without it back in the day???  Crazy.

Anyhow, ORD tacked on yet another 90F day yesterday which makes it #8 for the season.  We'll try to do it again today and tomorrow...more severe wx on deck for Father's Day???  The CAM's are showing signs of a nasty line forming over or near the IA/IL border and tracking east in the afternoon/evening on Sunday.

SPC has a large area of slight risk but I think they'll be upping the ante...

2.gif

Another good soaking looking likely for the region on Sunday...

1.png

I can confirm the light show was gorgeous. The window in my bedroom faces south and it was an incredible display of lightning. It lasted for hours. Very cool. Sadly we didn’t receive any rain here. I’m not sure if we’ve had more than a few hundredths this month. Hopefully that changes tomorrow 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I can confirm the light show was gorgeous. The window in my bedroom faces south and it was an incredible display of lightning. It lasted for hours. Very cool. Sadly we didn’t receive any rain here. I’m not sure if we’ve had more than a few hundredths this month. Hopefully that changes tomorrow 

Those are the type of summer nights I love, esp with a strong southerly breeze at night...glad you enjoyed it, but don't worry about precip, your in a great spot for tomorrow and the rest of next week.  We're gonna make up in the precip dept in a hurry.

6 hours ago, Clinton said:

The weekend looks hot and dry with only slight chances of rain today and a better shot tomorrow. It is very dry here, my father in-law stoped planting beens because the soil was to dry. It we get some rain soon he will resume if not he will hope his corn can make It.

image.png.616d1162e4ae7cf823887106e9e261e5.png

My neighbor has beans laying in dry dirt waiting on rain for awhile now. My brother planted deeper so they’re up nicely,but really need rain soon.

• Like 1

Got a new computer and forgot to bookmark this site on my old computer. 

Anyway, June has been ridiculously dry around here. I am really hoping we can get two rounds of severe weather tomorrow. Looks like some strong storms should move through here in the morning and then severe weather later in the day. Heavy rainfall would be great!

I am getting really tired of this hot and dry weather. 

• Like 3

I'm getting a bit concerned about tomorrow.  Models are suggesting we could end up with just a low amount of rain from a dying MCS in the morning, followed by the evening storms mostly firing/congealing southeast of my area.  It would suck to not get a solid rain event out of this.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I'm getting a bit concerned about tomorrow.  Models are suggesting we could end up with just a low amount of rain from a dying MCS in the morning, followed by the evening storms mostly firing/congealing southeast of my area.  It would suck to not get a solid rain event out of this.

Yeah really hard to tell till it’s happening. 

37 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Yeah really hard to tell till it’s happening. 

18z run of models is fairly inconclusive for tomorrow. Quite a spread in solutions. Hopefully 00z runs bring a little more clarity. But I’m definitely a little concerned as well 

Eye of the hurricane right over Norton, Kansas. 80 mph winds following the platte river. My garden definitely doesn’t want that…butI will gladly take the rain! 

Until 1130 PM CDT.

* At 1044 PM CDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from near Wilcox to near Campbell to 6 miles northeast of
  Inavale to 6 miles south of Red Cloud to 9 miles west of Ionia,
  moving northeast at 55 mph.

These are very dangerous storms.

HAZARD...80 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Law enforcement. Law enforcement reported widespread
           damage across Phillips County. Additionsly at 10:35pm 83
           MPH was reported at Smith Center, Kansas Airport.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be heavily damaged. Expect
           considerable damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles.
           Extensive tree damage and power outages are likely.

4C293369-7C4D-4420-AAEF-A71C8065756D.png

• Like 3
  • Windy 1

A rather delightful lake breeze kicked in late yesterday afternoon just around sun set which ushered in a cool and comfortable airmass.  In the summer, this is an added bonus living closer to the lake...not so much during the Spring or in the Fall when your border line RN/SN...the perks of living in the Chicago area.

It's a very comfy 61F this morning as there is a pocket of chilly air up in the GL's region.  I see some upper 40's showing up in the U.P.  Great start to this wonderful day....Happy Father's Day!!!!  I know there are a number of you on here who have kids.  Enjoy the day with family as we officially welcome in Summer..

• Like 2

Woah, this is turning into a significant severe wx threat today for the lower lakes region...

day1otlk_1200.gif

I'm rather concerned in the strong wording...seasons biggest Severe Wx threat on the table for Chitown and the local region...

The disruptive potential of this interaction is unknown.
   Even so, it appears a corridor of strong instability should evolve
   from northern IL into southern lower MI. Approaching convectively
   induced short-wave trough, strong heating, and the potential for a
   low-level confluence zone to be draped across this region suggest
   the potential for significant severe. Have opted to extend the ENH
   Risk downstream across southern lower MI and adjacent portions of
   northern IN/northwest OH as forecast soundings are impressively
   buoyant and strongly sheared. Profiles favor supercells but the
   early-day MCS will likely continue, in some form, through the day as
   it spreads downstream. If supercells evolve, tornadoes and large
   hail threat will increase with this activity. Otherwise, damaging
   winds can be expected.

• Storm 1

Much of the rain in Iowa comes from the morning MCS, which is mostly just a big blob of light to moderate rain.  Unfortunately, the big MCS also ruins the potential for later today.  Most models don't show much developing across Iowa.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

I thought last year was HOT in PHX...this year is off to an even hotter start...Holy smokes!  #SWSizzle...looking out in the LR, the much anticipated Monsoon is showing signs of igniting.  Unlike last year, this year, there will be a Monsoon season.

• Sun 1
  • scream 1

The morning rain is drying up as it tries to progress toward the MS river.  It has been very light here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Even though we aren't getting much from this morning's disturbance, it's nice to have a pleasantly cloudy and wet morning (windows open, sound and smell of light rain). We had not had one in a long time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Much of the rain in Iowa comes from the morning MCS, which is mostly just a big blob of light to moderate rain.  Unfortunately, the big MCS also ruins the potential for later today.  Most models don't show much developing across Iowa.

The HRRR is still showing strong storms moving through Cedar Rapids this evening. It's already clearing out in western Iowa so I am not worried. 

• Like 1

This rain area is crapping out sooner than models suggested.  Maybe that's a good thing for later.

• Like 3

Gauge had 0.75” last night. Beautiful, straight down rain that didn’t come too fast and wash away. Things look amazing this morning. Corn and soybeans needed the drink, especially if they aren’t irrigated. The yards were looking a little stressed yesterday, but this morning they look much better. Amazing what rain can do over a sprinkler system. 

• Like 5

I picked up only 0.20" from the morning disturbance.  A cluster of decent cells just popped east of CR, but it was nothing but light rain and sprinkles here.  Again, however, it's nice to have a cloudy, wet, cool day after all the full sun, hot days we've had this month.

Monday is going to be only low 70s with a good north wind.  We haven't had a day like that in a while, either.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Gauge had 0.75” last night. Beautiful, straight down rain that didn’t come too fast and wash away. Things look amazing this morning. Corn and soybeans needed the drink, especially if they aren’t irrigated. The yards were looking a little stressed yesterday, but this morning they look much better. Amazing what rain can do over a sprinkler system. 

Picked up 0.60 overnight and this morning in my backyard in Southwest Omaha, NE. I was hoping for a bit more but we will have to take what we can get right now. Any moisture is helpful to try to make up some of the deficits that have developed over the past couple of months. 

• Like 5