June Observations and Discussion

Tom

Well, a tiny cell just popped up right on top of my yard and is barely moving.  It's pouring and the gauge is filling up.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Well, a tiny cell just popped up right on top of my yard and is barely moving.  It's pouring and the gauge is filling up.

I got in on the action again as well.  Upped my total to 1.7” on the day.  

• Like 4

Before this evening's cell my total today was only 0.13".  After the heavy cell it's 0.80".  That was a very nice surprise.  If this cell had popped a couple miles north I would have received nothing.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Texas is looking forward to an unseasonably cool week next week with rain in the forecast.   Yes!! 

• Like 5

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

14 minutes ago, Andie said:

Texas is looking forward to an unseasonably cool week next week with rain in the forecast.   Yes!! 

Was it 2 years ago or last year when you were dealing with relentless heat/humidity?

The line that popped over me earlier and lifted north is now stalled just north of Cedar Rapids and it's trying to build back south a bit into Hiawatha and Marion again.

• Like 1

Marion is really getting nailed today.  Round three remains stalled over the city.  Some stations are well over 2".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Marion is really getting nailed today.  Round three remains stalled over the city.  Some stations are well over 2".

Yeah my backyard now has some ponding.  Still coming down hard and I’m at 2.6”

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

I wasn't sure this stuff would sag back south far enough, but it did.  It has been pouring here for the last ten minutes.  I've already received another 0.60".

• Like 4

This is pretty nuts.  This thin band of heavy rain continues to sit and dump on the same sliver of the Cedar Rapids metro.  It briefly sagged southeast of Marion, but now it has lifted right back into town.  One station is up to 4".

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

This is pretty nuts.  This thin band of heavy rain continues to sit and dump on the same sliver of the Cedar Rapids metro.  It briefly sagged southeast of Marion, but now it has lifted right back into town.  One station is up to 4".

Yeah it can stop now.  It’s absolutely dumping out there.  I’m over 4”

• Like 1
  • Rain 1
  • scream 1

Just now, BMT said:

Yeah it can stop now.  It’s absolutely dumping out there.  I’m over 4”

Where in Marion are you located?

It appears I may be done.  My total from the latest round is 1.25", which boosts my daily total to 2.05".  There are stations in Marion going over 6" now.  Yikes.

• Like 4

Holy cow... there are a couple stations in Marion now approaching 8" of rain.  A cell has been sitting over them for a long time.  Somehow, 5-8" of rain has not prompted a flash flood warning from DVN.

• Like 1
  • scream 2

DVN has finally issued a flash flood warning for Marion, just as the cell is moving out.

• lol 1

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Holy cow... there are a couple stations in Marion now approaching 8" of rain.  A cell has been sitting over them for a long time.  Somehow, 5-8" of rain has not prompted a flash flood warning from DVN.

Rain has stopped.  I hope we are done.  5.4”

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BMT said:

Rain has stopped.  I hope we are done.  5.4”

These storm cells/clusters have been producing tremendous downpours.  It literally feels like a whole other world out there how soupy the airmass feels.  The air is so damp and undoubtedly feels like we are living in the Amazon.  I was awoken to the sound of a torrential downpour around 2:00am.  It's wild to think that just about a week ago we were in an extreme drought and how quickly that has vanished.  Mother Nature can surely bring twists and turns in the wx dept.

I was invited to an outdoor block party later this afternoon so hopefully the wx cooperates and the rains hold back till later in the day.  The 00z FV3-Hi Res handle that band that came through last night the best IMO for MBY.

fv3-hires_ref_frzn_ncus_7.png

Looks like the models are showing a developing line of storms just S/SE of the metro late afternoon.  That would be an ideal outcome for today's events.

• Like 3

It's wonderful to see that the Monsoon won't be on hiatus this year as the pattern is ripe for the seasonal shift towards moisture coming up from Mexico/E PAC as the SW Monsoon will begin delivering the goods.  This is site for sore eyes out that way as the forecasts call for daily chances for precip starting early next week.

0z Euro...by months end we'll start putting a dent into the drought out hopefully nature can put out some of the fires that are churning up the state.

1.png

• Like 2

Alright, alright, alright...who's ready for a pattern change????  With the big 4th of July holiday weekend coming up, the models seem to be closing in on a cut-off trough near the Lower Lakes region.  It all will depend on where this system tracks but gauging off the ensembles, it appears that we'll see the "Hudson Bay Block" work it's magic and usher in a cooler/drier air mass into the region.

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_6.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_8.png

Maybe tomorrow or Monday I'll fire up a July thread as we near the close of June...

• Like 1

A new record rain fall record was set at Grand Rapids yesterday with 2.17" of rain fall. Here at my house I recorded 2.58" of rain fall but my report is for 7AM to 7AM while the official reports are for midnight to midnight. That is one of the issues I have with the cocorahs reporting times. At this time it is cloudy and 70 here at my house.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

Alright, alright, alright...who's ready for a pattern change????  With the big 4th of July holiday weekend coming up, the models seem to be closing in on a cut-off trough near the Lower Lakes region.  It all will depend on where this system tracks but gauging off the ensembles, it appears that we'll see the "Hudson Bay Block" work it's magic and usher in a cooler/drier air mass into the region.

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_6.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_8.png

Maybe tomorrow or Monday I'll fire up a July thread as we near the close of June...

As is often the case when our part of the country gets to enjoy cooler air the Pacific NW is going to roast. I saw highs in Washington and Oregon are forecasted to be between 100-110 ouch.

• Like 1

It’s  really hard to watch the western wildfires. My uncle surveyed some of the 1st roads into the Plumas Forest and brought back a species of prehistoric fern thought extinct.  Now these forests are in danger.  Texas would gladly take a normal summer to spare them. 
Texas is looking to have an unseasonably cool week next week with rain in the forecast.   
Just more of this 1200 yr drought cycle. Welcomed rain but it comes with a high price to others. 

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

As is often the case when our part of the country gets to enjoy cooler air the Pacific NW is going to roast. I saw highs in Washington and Oregon are forecasted to be between 100-110 ouch.

Very true and that is the beauty of how we see nature play the balancing act.  Its nice to see our Sub on the receiving end of what we needed badly.  I’m looking forward to the pattern late next week.  Bring me some cooler temps and low DP’s please!

• Like 2

Well it is raining once again. At this time it is mostly just a light rain and there has not been any thunder or wind. In fact there are just a few reported lighting strikes over Lake Michigan west of South Haven and that is it so far. It did warm up to 77 here before the rain moved in.  It is still a rather mild 75 here with a DP of 74 so there is a lot of moisture to work with.

• Like 1