June Observations and Discussion

Tom

23 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

It appears the main moisture plume will be located south and east of my area again early this week.  Hopefully, I can get lucky and catch a small cell or two.  Otherwise, the Euro has no rain for the next ten days.

The euro was really wrong lately and was off for today as well if it wasn’t showing any rain.

With yesterdays 0.12" of rain that brings the total for this long event here at my house at 6.1" and I would say that for much of this area the drought is all but over. Officially at GRR they reported 0.08" of rain yesterday and now have a total of 8.48" for the month. The official amount for the year is now at 17.03" that is still a departure of -1.68" for the year to date. The mean temperature for June remains at 70.5 that is a departure of +1.9 so June 2021 will end up warmer that average. At this time it is cloudy and 72 here at my house.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, westMJim said:

With yesterdays 0.12" of rain that brings the total for this long event here at my house at 6.1" and I would say that for much of this area the drought is all but over. Officially at GRR they reported 0.08" of rain yesterday and now have a total of 8.48" for the month. The official amount for the year is now at 17.03" that is still a departure of -1.68" for the year to date. The mean temperature for June remains at 70.5 that is a departure of +1.9 so June 2021 will end up warmer that average. At this time it is cloudy and 72 here at my house.

#DroughtBuster...now the worry will be for the intensifying drought across the Plains/Upper MW and how much it will bleed into the North woods of MN.  I can see those areas continue to be dry and fry into July, at least for the 1st half of July before some interesting amplification of the North American 500mb transpire.  The majority of us have done well in the precip dept and will continue to do so.  So glad to have scored a lot of rain this past week and its nice to see everything green up.  Crop should grow rapidly during the sunnier days ahead.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

#DroughtBuster...now the worry will be for the growing drought across the Plains/Upper MW and how much it will bleed into the North woods of MN.  I can see those areas continue to be dry and fry into July, at least for the 1st half of July before some interesting amplification of the North American 500mb transpire.  The majority of us have done well in the precip dept and will continue to do so.  So glad to have scored a lot of rain this past week and its nice to see everything green up.  Crop should grow rapidly during the sunnier days ahead.

The growing drought right now seems very similar to last Sept and Oct.  Maybe they can get some rain when the stormy pattern returns mid July.

1 minute ago, Clinton said:

The growing drought right now seems very similar to last Sept and Oct.  Maybe they can get some rain when the stormy pattern returns mid July.

2nd half of July I'm looking for a NW flow pattern aloft which could provide spotty relief those across the W/NW Sub Forum.  Until then, however, it'll get more active across the eastern ag belt post 4th of July.  BTW, I meant to ask you the other day, how is the lake level in the Ozarks?  My brother and his wife are heading down to Osage Beach the following weekend.  Just curious.

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

2nd half of July I'm looking for a NW flow pattern aloft which could provide spotty relief those across the W/NW Sub Forum.  Until then, however, it'll get more active across the eastern ag belt post 4th of July.  BTW, I meant to ask you the other day, how is the lake level in the Ozarks?  My brother and his wife are heading down to Osage Beach the following weekend.  Just curious.

Lake of the Ozarks should be fine as it is a controlled level lake that only fluctuates by a few feet.  The flood control lakes will be very high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

#DroughtBuster...now the worry will be for the growing drought across the Plains/Upper MW and how much it will bleed into the North woods of MN.  I can see those areas continue to be dry and fry into July, at least for the 1st half of July before some interesting amplification of the North American 500mb transpire.  The majority of us have done well in the precip dept and will continue to do so.  So glad to have scored a lot of rain this past week and its nice to see everything green up.  Crop should grow rapidly during the sunnier days ahead.

Dry conditions are already here for northern MN.  Both my neighbor's and my drain fields are a rectangle oases of lush green grass surrounded by brown crispy grass.  

Other than a slight reprieve in mid April, the drought pattern has been here since last Aug/Sep.  Lightning started a wildfire in the state forest not to far from me a couple weeks ago, burned for a couple days. 

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Beltrami Island said:

Dry conditions are already here for northern MN.  Both my neighbor's and my drain fields are a rectangle oases of lush green grass surrounded by brown crispy grass.  

Other than a slight reprieve in mid April, the drought pattern has been here since last Aug/Sep.  Lightning started a wildfire in the state forest not to far from me a couple weeks ago, burned for a couple days. 

Meant to say intensifying drought, but ya, it’s unfortunate what y’all up north are being dealt with by nature.

I forgot to put my rain gauge out the past few days. I am guessing I got somewhere between 2-3" of rain in the past few days. Most of that fell on Friday. Getting some more rain today as well. 

It's nice to have gotten this much rain to get rid of the drought we were in, but it's just amazing how we haven't had any severe weather here so far this summer. I haven't seen a wind gust higher than 35mph and only one shelf cloud that wasn't that impressive. I am hoping that July can deliver big time on strong thunderstorms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

#DroughtBuster...now the worry will be for the intensifying drought across the Plains/Upper MW and how much it will bleed into the North woods of MN.  I can see those areas continue to be dry and fry into July, at least for the 1st half of July before some interesting amplification of the North American 500mb transpire.  The majority of us have done well in the precip dept and will continue to do so.  So glad to have scored a lot of rain this past week and its nice to see everything green up.  Crop should grow rapidly during the sunnier days ahead.

Crops are growing by leaps and bounds since it started raining. The corn is noticeably taller every day!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Crops are growing by leaps and bounds since it started raining. The corn is noticeably taller every day!

Corn looks amazing here also. We also have had no wind for 3 days, unheard of around here, so the rain we had is not evaporating as quickly as usual. Still standing water in spots. Farmers have also turned off center pivots. I would say the corn is close to head high, 5-6’. 

• Like 3

One could call it climate change- but KMSP is going to have a avg temp WARMER than KDSM for the month of June. 76.7F to 75.9F through 29 days of June. I personally, don't see climate change per the AGW movement "way" , but certainly see Urban Heat Island to the max extant. Your talking near 3.5 degrees Latitude -- like 240 miles straight line. It's climate  similar to seeing International Falls warmer than  KMSP.  ( away from water etc)

Never seen this before with DSM and MSP with MSP being warmer for a entire  calendar month. Prove me wrong if anyone has data that says this is not the first.

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

34 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

One could call it climate change- but KMSP is going to have a avg temp WARMER than KDSM for the month of June. 76.7F to 75.9F through 29 days of June. I personally, don't see climate change per the AGW movement "way" , but certainly see Urban Heat Island to the max extant. Your talking near 3.5 degrees Latitude -- like 240 miles straight line. It's climate  similar to seeing International Falls warmer than  KMSP.  ( away from water etc)

Never seen this before with DSM and MSP with MSP being warmer for a entire  calendar month. Prove me wrong if anyone has data that says this is not the first.

How does Wilmar, MN and Eau Claire, WI temps compare to MSP?  Each are the same latitude as MSP but are largely without the significant UHI of MSP.  

2 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

Very interesting.  I think the warm over the top of ridge has been very prolonged.   Dakotas and Minn have had many days in past 10 months warmer than OTM. Drought creates warmer daytime highs. I for one  have strong personal  non political  feelings about UHI.. many thermometer which  60 yrs ago were totally  rural are now suburbia at best if not all out concrete asphalt  jungles worldwide.  And the data we are handed are based on main reporting stations worldwide.   Ive spent years in South  America, Pennsylvania, Maryland  and Iowa  i have  traveled   at night  often.  The mean temperatures  in even small cities like Ottumwa  or Gettysburg  Pennsylvania  are  much higher  in town. I once saw a in depth study of all 50 states.  A 50k city  was compared  to a 5k or smaller reporting station.  Over 100 years  the small rural location  were flat  lined.  DSM  had a large increase in temp whereas  Albia Iowa coop observer had no significant  increase!  And the DSM location  isnt even that urban! 

Yet another very wet day.  44/100, and sitting right at 7.0 for June almost all falling  since  June 18th. I will say that today was one of warmest cloudy  rainiest days of my life!  The high was 77F but dewpoint  of 76F!!!  Even heavier showers  could not cool the  air! Very reminiscent  of some rainy days I spent in Amazonia! Or Florida

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Beltrami Island said:

How does Wilmar, MN and Eau Claire, WI temps compare to MSP?  Each are the same latitude as MSP but are largely without the significant UHI of MSP.  

Eau Claire, 73.0F

Wilmar-  74.5F

both through the 29th.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

12 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Yet another very wet day.  44/100, and sitting right at 7.0 for June almost all falling  since  June 18th. I will say that today was one of warmest cloudy  rainiest days of my life!  The high was 77F but dewpoint  of 76F!!!  Even heavier showers  could not cool the  air! Very reminiscent  of some rainy days I spent in Amazonia! Or Florida

A wet muggy day here yesterday as well, but rainfall was light with only 0.30” bringing my monthly total to 4.13”.

• Like 2

It has been very humid over the past few days. The highest DP reported at GRR yesterday was 75° that is extremely high for our area. At Lansing the highest DP was 73 at Holland it was 70. At Detroit it was 74 and in the Detroit area Grosse Ile which is in the downriver area of Detroit it was 76 for much of the day and it did reach 77 there.
The overnight low here was 70 and I recorded 0.02″ of rain fall overnight. At this time it is cloudy and 70.

• Like 1

A new June record rain fall has been set at Kalamazoo. So far the total for June at Kalamazoo is 10.65" and that is the new record for that location. Records go back to 1887 at Kalamazoo.
Officially at GRR the June total is at 8.49" that is the 2nd most ever recorded in the month of June. The most reported at Grand Rapids is 13.22" way back in 1892 but the reporting was very spotty that year. And no other location came close to that amount of rain fall that June.  I am thinking that this could be a record total rain fall for any June at Grand Rapids.

• Like 2
  • Rain 1

8 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

Eau Claire, 73.0F

Wilmar-  74.5F

both through the 29th.

So the UHI effect raises MSP average temps 2-4F in June, most likely due to elevated lows?  I can easily see MSP with a high low of 90/70 while Eau Claire and Wilmar get 89/66 in the summer all things being equal for example.     

Well June 2021 is now in the record books. At Grand Rapids the mean for the month was 70.9 that is a departure of +2.0. It was tied with 1971 for the 12th warmest June on record. There was a total of 8.49" of rain fall and that is good for 2nd place. The high for the month was 90 on the 11th and 12th and the low came kind of 41 was on the 22nd. That was the 2nd coldest low for that date. At Grand Rapids there were a reported total of 9 thunderstorms. Remember as far as the NWS is concerned a "thunderstorm" is one or more detected lightening strikes. So that would mean a few snow flurries would count as a "snowstorm"
At this time it is clear here and 65.

• Like 2

• Tom unpinned this topic