June Observations and Discussion

Tom

Storms are popping in central Iowa. Hopefully it’ll expand rapidly. I got 0.25” of rain this morning than another tenth around 12:20pm as a heavy shower just grazed by to the se. where it dumped around half an inch in 10 minutes with a bit of thunder. I wasn’t at home and was located right in the middle of that heavy shower and was disappointed to come home and see I got missed again, like usual. I’m grateful for every drop though!!

The storms will likely be scattered as they move through eastern Iowa.  Any location could get lucky and get a decent thundershower, but it's equally possible the cells will miss.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The storms will likely be scattered as they move through eastern Iowa.  Any location could get lucky and get a decent thundershower, but it's equally possible the cells will miss.

Yeah they might remain discrete for awhile till east of us, sadly.

I'm afraid it's beginning to look like a dud for Cedar Rapids.  The better storms are in the north and also in the south where there is better instability.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

I'm afraid it's beginning to look like a dud for Cedar Rapids.  The better storms are in the north and also in the south where there is better instability.

The line really needs to fill in before it gets here. It's still about 50 miles away so perhaps it can fill in before it gets here. It would be really disappointing if Cedar Rapids doesn't get anything. 

I’m hoping that the big cells west of me can hold together! Much of it will likely even pass south of me. Heard some thunder already. Still not looking good for CR attm. Some awesome storm pics on Twitter. 

BTW, my friends 2 miles south got 0.80” so far today.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Certainly appears Cedar Rapids won't get a drop out of this.  ☹️

I'm not sure I would throw in the towel yet. Looks like the storms are trying to turn SE. There is also a strong line of storms that just developed near Waterloo that is moving SE.

• Like 4

Waterloo already got nailed and now another red line has popped and is moving through.

9 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

I'm not sure I would throw in the towel yet. Looks like the storms are trying to turn SE. There is also a strong line of storms that just developed near Waterloo that is moving SE.

Yeah I was just gonna say that!

Man, highway 20 (Waterloo to Dubuque) is really getting rocked this evening.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jaycee said:

The HRRR has this line dying out before it gets here. We’re not even in a watch either? So weird. Wouldn’t be surprised tho, given our luck this year :(

Don't give up yet. Storms are increasing to your west. Broken line down my way looks to split around me. Darn it!

Picked up 0.98" in about 20 minutes. Came down pretty hard, winds weren't higher than 35mph or so. 

Looks like Thursday and Friday are our next chances of storms. Hopefully we get more strong to severe storms and heavy rain with those storms. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Pretty much a total bust here this evening with the last line again crapping out just as it moves in! The third consecutive summer of many misses.

Yeah, that sucks.  CR was rewarded with a fortunate last-minute fill-in, but it failed to continue toward the south.

6 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

Picked up 0.98" in about 20 minutes. Came down pretty hard, winds weren't higher than 35mph or so. 

Looks like Thursday and Friday are our next chances of storms. Hopefully we get more strong to severe storms and heavy rain with those storms. 

I received 0.64" this evening, boosting my daily total to 0.86".  Radar suggested the heaviest rain was on the northeast side of CR, so I'm not surprised you were the winner.

Models have been consistently showing a chance of storms in Iowa later Tuesday.

• Like 3

I had .42 this am and zero fell this evening.   Front just passed with few drops.    So my weekend  total is 2.57 at my home.  At our shop maybe 2.20.   Cant complain  at all.   Bring on the cool! Hopefully  we continue  to see regular  rains  now. Ive also had 10 90 degree  days in June. Pics are of frontal passage.

IMG_21941.jpg

20210620_205603.jpg

• Like 4

Chased today in Iowa and Happy Father’s Day to me!

I started with the cell that went by Newton. It had broad rotation at times and eventually I drove through some quarter sized hail.

That storm started sagging south and new storms formed southwest of there. I eventually made a break for that storm and watched as it got better organized. Just before Pella it went tornado warned. I ended up taking a gravel road to take some structure pics of the inflow and hail shaft. 
I headed on after about 5 minutes and unfortunately that ended up costing me a bit. 
As I headed back towards the highway I suddenly could see the big bowl shaped lowering west of Pella. I wanted to get closer but also didn’t want to risk not stopping in time to get any pics/video so I stopped on the east side of town and was able to get about 6-8 minutes of the remaining funnel and wall cloud before it dissipated. A new wall cloud cycled east of there maybe a mile up the road from me, causing the sirens in town to go off again but nothing formed.

The storm then weakened thereafter. On the way home I saw the coolest mammatus I’ve ever seen and saw some damage to a farm west of Pella from the tornado. Quite the fun chase!

2D48F5FD-E98E-4AD1-BFC2-C8EF75B1C0EA.jpeg

90A2277A-5DD5-4373-B52D-A76695960DF6.png

538153CA-263C-4204-8734-0822CD5A7A7B.jpeg

ECB24045-8598-4D06-B012-CD7F8980DE87.jpeg

5AD1A2CF-6D9F-4263-B313-2EBEE596F6E7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jaycee said:

THAT WAS ******* SURREAL. There is so much damage from that tornado. It was huge! Im in shock that a wedge tornado just came through the Chicago metro. I was just north of Darien and the damage is unbelievable. A0FB69B8-5161-47FD-9DA9-30C40AA803E7.thumb.jpeg.3c997bd29d07332255088760f4e48bff.jpeg

I can't believe I slept through the entire event...didn't hear a peep or any sirens.  I woke up to text messages from my friend saying tornado sirens are going off near Bensenville or just west of ORD.  Wow, this was quite the event for Chicago and southern burbs.  That's a wild picture you captured....nighttime twisters are especially dangerous.  Hope you got your severe wx "fix" checked off the list!

Meantime, this line of storms delivered much needed heavy rains (1-2") area wide.  ORD officially tacked on 1.85" yesterday.  So looking forward to the cooler wx today thru Wed.

• Like 3

Our local photographer @barrybuttler snapped this photo just after midnight...

Geeze, I guess my area was underneath a Tornado Warning and didn't even know it....I must have slept deep...Zzzzz

• Like 3

Looking ahead, the idea of a nocturnal MCS late Thu pm into Fri is showing up on the models...the Euro blasts E IA into N IL/S WI...another repeat???  Gosh, not sure if I wanna see what the Euro is showing...

Meantime, as daylight has emerged, the local news is showing major damage along a long stretch of about 13 miles or so across the southern burbs.  This looks like to me an EF-3 tornado.  God Speed to those who were affected. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1