The Weather Forums

June 2021 Pacific Northwest Obs

Just crazy that we will crush all-time temp records tomorrow... and then crash by 50 degrees in a couple hours... and then be back in the low 90s on Tuesday.  How is that our usual cool down?

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'm super anxious that the marine push tomorrow is going to come too early and ruin things it PDX. I'm especially worried that it is going to mess up our 80+ degree low temperature from the morning. Fingers crossed that tomorrow over performs. I would love to see PDX break Vegas's record of 117 and become the 2nd hottest city in America. Hell, imagine if we could even beat Phoenix's record of 122.

• Excited 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sick 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, CloudBFIWx said:

I think you may be buying into whatever hype the internet is going at rather than judging from what the models are showing for yourself. 

This thing has been very much as advertised on the models, particularly the GFS, while the Euro struggled. In fact, for SEA yesterday it was a lot warmer than modeled from the GFS and today was on point. Tomorrow will most likely have you cry Uncle. 

Won't be crying uncle regardless of what happens.

Models oversold this too.

I saw plenty of runs that spit out temps that never materialized.

I'm impressed by the event but it's not what I expected....not nearly as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Ironic, considering EUG is the only major station that has come close to setting a new all time low in the past couple decades.

Things have changed since. And they tied it. Naturally while I wasn't here.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Well at least we got squarely hit by the heat side of the extreme.  We have become pretty good at that task.   Got that under our belt now!   God knows the next round of extreme cold will probably pick another area of the country or the world.  

You removed the emoji...

2 minutes ago, rsktkr said:

I'm impressed by the event but it's not what I expected....not nearly as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

Reanalysis on this thing will take a lot of work.  There are already too many unprecedented things to unpack and the next 24 hours of this event will be the most anomalous.  

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just crazy that we will crush all-time temp records tomorrow... and then crash by 50 degrees in a couple hours... and then be back in the low 90s on Tuesday.  How is that our usual cool down?

It’ll be pretty crazy going from such heat and then quite a rapid cool down. 

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

17 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

This makes absolutely zero sense. You realize it's literally impossible for it to be easier to break a heat record than to not? It... wouldn't be a record if it were like "shooting fish in a barrell" to do. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your post here, but this is weird af

Uh, what? It’s absolutely possible. Urbanization and climate change make more difficult to achieve record cold relative to record heat.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

I'm super anxious that the marine push tomorrow is going to come too early and ruin things it PDX. I'm especially worried that it is going to mess up our 80+ degree low temperature from the morning. Fingers crossed that tomorrow over performs. I would love to see PDX break Vegas's record of 117 and become the 2nd hottest city in America. Hell, imagine if we could even beat Phoenix's record of 122.

Temperatures will drop below 80 tonight.

8 minutes ago, rsktkr said:

Obviously this is going to be IMBY case scenario so how you feel is how you feel base on your location. But I don’t believe the models oversold anything at all. 

This was 3 days ago for SEA using the NBM from the NWS. Today was hotter than forecast and tomorrow appears to be a lot hotter and this model will be wrong in retrospect for Monday. 

9931F9C7-F78C-4093-AA74-69D26FD8E56B.png

Portland was as hot as Phoenix today. Lol @ the “it busted” crowd.

The GFS spits out stupid numbers all the time. It was never going to be 120°F. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CloudBFIWx said:

Wife and I was about to go to Ocean Shores after our trip to Seabeck but decided to go home instead due to us having elderly parents so we wanted to keep an eye on them. Now I’m thinking we maybe should’ve. It’s a bit too much! 

Beautiful in seabeck. I'm only a few miles away.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Beautiful in seabeck. I'm only a few miles away.

It was absolutely stunning when we were there! So peaceful and quiet. And we caught a stunning sunrise on Friday. I’ve been over to the hood canal many times but Seabeck is my favorite. 

24 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

Palm Springs was 123 not too long ago 

Interestingly our record is still 106°F set in 1930, and we haven’t touched 100°F in 5 years.

Seems most of the work has gone into increasing dewpoints and nighttime temperatures here. Which (in my opinion) is worse, but it won’t generate headlines.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Seattle and Portland will break their all-time records on consecutive days... how can that be a bust?    And it was 112 in Portland today.    Surreal.

I guess the person that called it a bust was speaking from “IMBY”

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Interestingly our record is still 106°F set in 1930, and we haven’t touched 100°F in 5 years.

Seems most of the work has gone into increasing dewpoints and nighttime temperatures here. Which (in my opinion) is worse, but it won’t generate headlines.

My current DP is 76 and when I step away from the AC room, it’s immediately sticky. This is the worst.

I had to much fun today chasing my chickens around with the hose. The rooster just stood there and let me soak him lol. Got to 104 here and currently 98. Almost 8pm and 98 degrees, remarkable. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Same exact high today of 99.0 as yesterday. Currently 95. 

Nearly the same here as well. It quickly heated to 97F here early afternoon, then stayed 96~95F. The NE wind direction played a role here. It looks like YYJ hit 100F setting the record for hottest ever recorded at that station.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Seattle and Portland will break their all-time records on consecutive days... how can that be a bust?    And it was 112 in Portland today.    Surreal.

The record max high temp in Austin texas is 112 as well…by the time tomorrow’s over Portland could have the same record max high temps as Sacramento (115)…and only be behind Vegas (117) and Phoenix (122). 

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

6 minutes ago, CloudBFIWx said:

My current DP is 76 and when I step away from the AC room, it’s immediately sticky. This is the worst.

That reading might be a tad high, but I’m sure it’s f**king awful regardless.

How do you people without AC sleep in these conditions? Because I wouldn’t be able to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

That reading might be a tad high, but I’m sure it’s f**king awful regardless.

How do you people without AC sleep in these conditions? Because I wouldn’t be able to.

We don't. That's why we live here, in the PNW.

You know, where it *doesn't* get up to 110 with soupy humidity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think that reading is a bit high but I’m sure it’s f**king awful regardless.

How do people without AC sleep in these conditions? I wouldn’t be able to.

I do agree that this reading is a bit high but this is the closest personal weather station to me at home (about a block away) since mine broke last year. 

E4E44464-BFD3-4722-8844-3106D226BF27.jpeg

4 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Spent almost 7 hours over 100. Now humidity is spiking. Feels even worse now.

Yup once boundary layer mixing slows in the evening hours, that nasty muck starts piling up near the surface.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Spent almost 7 hours over 100. Now humidity is spiking. Feels even worse now.

I was thinking about this earlier…

After having never exceeded 107 until yesterday, PDX had six consecutive hourly observations today that exceeded it.  All by at least two degrees.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CloudBFIWx said:

I do agree that this reading is a bit high but this is the closest personal weather station to me at home since mine broke last year. 

E4E44464-BFD3-4722-8844-3106D226BF27.jpeg

Whether it’s 76 or 68 that’s still ugly as hell.

I’m actually swapping out my sensor tomorrow for the same reason as aforementioned. Starting to degrade and over-doing dewpoints.

Got a new fan aspirator too just in case.

C7A0C2F1-1634-486D-8FF9-3DB67AA2DBD7.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I was thinking about this earlier…

After having never exceeded 107 until yesterday, PDX had six consecutive hourly observations today that exceeded it.  All by at least two degrees.

I was going to say, four straight hours between 110-112 degrees is pretty crooked. 

• Like 2

Well what do you know, Weather Underground was right, it was cooler on Sunday over Saturday in parts of the north Sound.  That marine Puget Sound breeze helped.

So lets check out our latest highs as of 7:55pm PST.

All times as of 12:00pm PST.  Can we be over with this yet?  (I think a lot of the stations are wrong on their readings due to being so hot)

WASHINGTON

Bellingham 95

Oak Harbor 90

Friday Harbor 95

Everett 87

Monroe 96

Seattle 96 (Downtown)

Bellevue 102

Tacoma 95

Aberdeen 94

Hoquiam 79

Ocean Shores 77

Centralia 97

Longview 108

Vancouver 110

Ellensburg 102

Wenatchee 105

Yakima 106

Kennewick 101

Walla Walla 106

Spokane 101

Colville 100

OREGON

Astoria 99

Lincoln City 76

Newport 72

Coos Bay 69

Medford 111

Eugene 105

Salem 109

Portland 106

Bend 96

CALIFORNIA

Crescent City 59

Eureka 65

ALASKA

Juneau 76

Anchorage 64

Fairbanks 67

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, James Jones said:

I was going to say, four straight hours between 110-112 degrees is pretty crooked. 

Looks like they made it seven in a row.

And KVUO sitting at 110 at 8pm…😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Well what do you know, Weather Underground was right, it was cooler on Sunday over Saturday in parts of the north Sound.  That marine Puget Sound breeze helped.

So lets check out our latest highs as of 7:55pm PST.

All times as of 12:00pm PST.  Can we be over with this yet?  (I think a lot of the stations are wrong on their readings due to being so hot)

WASHINGTON

Bellingham 95

Oak Harbor 90

Friday Harbor 95

Everett 87

Monroe 96

Seattle 96 (Downtown)

Bellevue 102

Tacoma 95

Aberdeen 94

Hoquiam 79

Ocean Shores 77

Centralia 97

Longview 108

Vancouver 110

Ellensburg 102

Wenatchee 105

Yakima 106

Kennewick 101

Walla Walla 106

Spokane 101

Colville 100

OREGON

Astoria 99

Lincoln City 76

Newport 72

Coos Bay 69

Medford 111

Eugene 105

Salem 109

Portland 106

Bend 96

CALIFORNIA

Crescent City 59

Eureka 65

ALASKA

Juneau 76

Anchorage 64

Fairbanks 67

Olympia hit 105 today

3 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

With all the doom and gloom about trees dying, could it just take the one in the middle? Maybe the one on the left too

Who am I kidding they look very healthy smh...

20210627_200517.jpg

The affect isn’t immediate I don’t believe. 

• iFred unpinned this topic