The Weather Forums

June 2021 Pacific Northwest Obs

Just went out for a quick spin around the block, even with out 100-102 temps, we are going to need some sidewalk repairs.  For those in the area, this is eastbound on Sunset between Woburn and McLeod.

IMG_1174.thumb.jpg.273cddd6c5c94feada4bdf0e447e7255.jpg

IMG_1177.thumb.jpg.de067dfeea9966e37371b5b54a53e631.jpgIMG_1179.thumb.jpg.d61f1cd0de5e5389cc4a150c104cc3e1.jpg

• Like 1
  • scream 2
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I did not realize how incredible that June 2016 heat wave was... SEA had one day of 80 and one day of 85 then dropped to 76 and then 72.     How did we ever survive?

Doesn’t matter, it’s the same storyline. Warm spell happens, you somehow convince yourself its permanent, then reality bites you in the arse.

• Popcorn 2

11 minutes ago, MossMan said:

We just had to say goodbye to our 14yr old dog so the forum is a good distraction right now. Anyway Currently 106 in Smokey Point, will be interesting to see what it is back at home. 

I'm so sorry :(

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

Doesn’t matter, it’s the same storyline. Warm spell happens, you somehow convince yourself its permanent, then reality bites you in the arse.

Not at all.   

So what is your prediction for SEA for JAS?  

I think July and August will both end up warmer than normal.   And cold anomalies will not be very common.    Not sure about September yet.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

New heat records today and which cities they match all time heat records for:

Aurora, McMinnville, Portland, Vancouver, Roseburg - 115 (Sacramento, Fresno)

Troutdale, Salem, Scappoose - 117 (Tucson, Las Vegas)

The Dalles - 118 (Bakersfield, Redding)

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MossMan said:

We just had to say goodbye to our 14yr old dog so the forum is a good distraction right now. Anyway Currently 106 in Smokey Point, will be interesting to see what it is back at home. 

That sucks man, sorry to hear.  They may be goofy furballs, but they are most always very loved members of their family.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Outpost54 said:

PDX back down to 113 now. Looks like the top is in, sadly. Disappointed we couldn't do better than 115, but I'm hopeful that we can take another crack at breaking 120 soon. Hopefully this won't be the last pattern like this this summer.

Probably time to turn your attention to the east side. Perhaps Hermiston will break Death Valley's record tomorrow.

• lol 1

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

New heat records today and which cities they match all time heat records for:

Aurora, McMinnville, Portland, Vancouver, Roseburg - 115 (Sacramento, Fresno)

Troutdale, Salem, Scappoose - 117 (Tucson, Las Vegas)

The Dalles - 118 (Bakersfield, Redding)

117 in Salem is remarkable. 

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-27

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

26 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

My son is in a car coming back from Westport... he said the car thermometer just went from 82 to 110 east of Montesano.

A buddy of mine lives out by Schaefer State Park, north of Montesano and Elma, he came over for a couple beers and to cool off when I told him the transition occurred here.  He just texted me when he got back home and said it was still 109 at his house, only 76 here.

• Like 1

I think we maxed out at 106. Down to 104 now. 106/72 spread so far today…we will see about a midnight low. 

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-27

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

It seems the surface low is now in the Puget Sound, drawing in marine air to its west and down-sloping continental air to it east. 

For now the easterlies are winning, with SLP pressure gradient of +8 between Stampede Pass and Seattle, but only +4 between Hoquiam and Seattle. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.20.40 PM.png

12 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

It's amazing how Portland and Salem now has higher all-time record high temps than many coastal areas of California.

Nowhere else in the nation has been smashing heat records like this.

• Downvote 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Temp down at Point defiance was 91*

The flats temp range 99/106 as I drove through

100/71 here at the house today 

I was hoping to get some historic heat and keep it like we do snowballs.....didn’t happen.  Will save the container for future events 

85535170-5D0E-470D-81C0-6D6020D76A31.jpeg

• Like 3
  • lol 5

1 hour ago, luterra said:

Plants are surprisingly resilient, and I think it would take something like 130+, maybe higher, to cause outright heat death.  I wonder what sort of temps trees are exposed to in fires that they survive.  I don't expect to see much immediate mortality though it will of course contribute to longer term drought stress.

That’s the thing. I don’t think we are going to see many trees flash fry and die this week (although some might), but coming off of a record dry spring, and several years of long term drought conditions, I can’t imagine it’s going to be a good thing long term. We probably won’t have a full idea of the toll of this event on local ecology until sometime next spring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

Have doubts that the marine cooling will be as dramatic as advertised.

Yeah... low to mid 90s tomorrow is not exactly our normal marine push weather.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

Have doubts that the marine cooling will be as dramatic as advertised.

Onshore front seems to be hung up around Dundee at the moment to the southwest, temps haven't really budged there or in Newberg yet.

From the north, it looks like it just reached the Columbia City-St. Helens-Woodland area. Now back under 100 near the river there.

Lava Fire down by Shasta is really blowing up today. Dry and warm conditions for the foreseeable future over there unfortunately.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

30 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

It's amazing how Portland and Salem now has higher all-time record high temps than many coastal areas of California.

I think it's higher than every coastal city in CA. Along the ocean down there doesn't get very hot. Portland tied Sacramento's all-time record high today which is just mind blowing.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

I think it's higher than every coastal city in CA. Along the ocean down there doesn't get very hot. Portland tied Sacramento's all-time record high today which is just mind blowing.

San Luis Obispo did reached 117F last September. I think there tied with Salem, Oregon now.

117F slow.PNG

3 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

talking about this evening.

I know... I just can't envision strong a SW wind and high in the 90s tomorrow.

• Like 1

• iFred unpinned this topic