The Weather Forums

June 2021 Pacific Northwest Obs

8 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Can’t wait to see those kind of numbers here! Should be pretty soon. 

Here is the wind and temps for the next 24 hours per the 18Z ECMWF... from 5 p.m. today through 5 p.m. tomorrow.

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-wnd10m_stream-1624903200-1624924800-1625011200-10.gif

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-t2m_f-1624903200-1624924800-1625011200-10.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

PDX officially topped out at 116. So 108/112/116 these past 3 days with Sunday and Monday each setting a new all-time record high by 4 degrees.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

Earlier today the forecast was showing low mid 60s overnight. Now it’s showing us not getting below 70. I had a feeling the cooling would moderate for the seattle area which is usually the case just like an arctic front typically delays and doesn’t come in as potent as modeled. 

4 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Once in a lifetime .....just WOW! 

Now we just need a January 1950 to even things out!

• Like 4

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

11 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Air is poo poo right now. Plus this dummy is working on his tar roof when it’s still 102 out??? Heat done make ppl crazyFC52A414-DB83-4CAA-9DB9-C77673CB745A.thumb.jpeg.2a14e0b8b80cc2a4d4f7be2f38e25e58.jpeg

Our electricians were installing a temp power pole today at our place late afternoon. Out in the sun digging and drilling.  They looked like they were going to die. 

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA has had a WNW wind for a couple hours now and was still at 106 at 7 p.m.

3 degrees above the old all-time record at 7 p.m. is pretty crazy.

107 at SEA is incredible!  Portland's 116 is incredible as well.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Scott said:

107 at SEA is incredible!  Portland's 116 is incredible as well.

Even more incredible is that KSEA never mixed out entirely at any time during this event.  In 2009 they did and squeezed everything they could out of that air mass to get to 103.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Highs tomorrow per the 00Z GFS... we used to think this was really hot.

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5011200 (3).png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

26 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Earlier today the forecast was showing low mid 60s overnight. Now it’s showing us not getting below 70. I had a feeling the cooling would moderate for the seattle area which is usually the case just like an arctic front typically delays and doesn’t come in as potent as modeled. 

Sounds like another hot night of sleep

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I hope that 71 verifies. But it probably won’t.

Only 96 in Seattle tomorrow.  Light jacket weather. 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I will be tickled pink if PDX can pull off another 100 tomorrow. I have been enjoying this whole event so much, I was honestly a little bummed when the sea breeze got here and cooled things down tonight. Give PDX one more 100 degree day and give both Oregon and Washington a 120 degree all time record at Hermiston and Kennewick tomorrow, and then I'll be satisfied and will shut up. At least until the next record heat wave, which hopefully will be sooner rather than later!

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Troll 2

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

90s will feel like 80s now 😂

• lol 1

8 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Any comments on the theory that it’s related to climate change via stronger tropical cyclones?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/unprecedented-heat-wave-in-pacific-northwest-driven-by-climate-change/

That would actually make quite a bit of sense. After all, it was a Pacific cyclone in the first place that rat33 the jet stream hard enough to cause this whole thing. The connection seems obvious now in hindsight, I'm surprised I haven't heard much mention of this before.

Upper 80s on Wednesday and Thursday and then Seattle is back into the 90s on Friday... this cool down is becoming even less impressive.  And it was never impressive.  Need a couple days in the 70s to cool down everyone's homes.

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5270400 (1).png

• Angry 2

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Portland might just make it to 100 again tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a weird setup. We have extremely high heights and thicknesses but solidly onshore flow with the roided thermal trough well inland. Thicknesses will be around 585dm, which is considered top tier.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Deweydog said:

Tomorrow is a weird setup.  You have extremely high heights and thicknesses but solidly onshore flow with the roided thermal trough well inland.  Thicknesses will be around 585dm, which is considered top tier.

Yeah... everything about this event is so strange.  

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Upper 80s on Wednesday and Thursday and then Seattle is back into the 90s on Friday... this cool down is becoming even less impressive.  And it was never impressive.  Need a couple days in the 70s to cool down everyone's homes.

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5270400 (1).png

So we just move from record smashing extreme to just record breaking extreme. These outputs will actually tie if not break records every day to close out the month. 

• Sick 1

1 minute ago, CloudBFIWx said:

So we just move from record smashing extreme to just record breaking extreme. These outputs will actually tie if not break records every day to close out the month. 

Might be the GFS underestimating the marine influence.   At least I hope so.

• Like 2

The 00Z GFS looks like its going to carve a trough to the west out of nothing early next week.   Every run is so different.  Particularly up around Alaska.   

• iFred unpinned this topic