The Weather Forums

June 2021 Pacific Northwest Obs

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

There will be effects for months down the road. Like I said the other day we probably won't know the full toll until next spring.

Fortunately, on most trees I've observed closely, the damage is limited to the most sun exposed surfaces. Still a lot of living tree underneath. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the problem overwhelm some entirely.

Looked like a lot of youngsters took it on the chin pretty good. Looked like early fall in a couple of the new housing developments.

• Sad 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah, hemlocks seem the hardest hit by this one. Sad since they are one of my favorite trees. Are yours burnt all around or just on the side that was facing the afternoon sun?

Only the side that faced the sun.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Only the side that faced the sun.

That's probably good news for their ultimate survival. If they are on your property I would give them a bunch of water the next week or two.

13 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Kind of surreal to see Lytton, BC set and re-set the Canadian all time record high three days in a row then be engulfed by flames the fourth day.

Yeah this heatwave was a tremendously terrible major event. Seems like this summer might be pretty rough. Thank god for the marine layer today for a reprieve atleast. 15 days without rain here already :(

Monthly rainfall-1.16”

Cold season rainfall-1.16”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That's probably good news for their ultimate survival. If they are on your property I would give them a bunch of water the next week or two.

Yep I've been running my sprinkler all around my property and into the woods to give everything a good drink. 

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

A very quick way to water the grass and the cedar tree! Oh and the slugs are out in force!! 

CEE8E572-9756-4BA3-A948-A9A706F67E87.jpeg

7208DB63-A06D-4573-8FA9-BAA3A204F457.jpeg

You've got a slug fiesta on your hands there, amigo. They all just need maracas and some little sombreros. ¡Ole!

• Excited 1

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Kamloops was 116F with gusty winds and 8% humidity this afternoon. A perfect fire storm. That fire is estimated at 50k acres now.  

My mom reported from watch lake this afternoon, which is north of these fires.  Not sure if it was directly related to the PyroCBs but she had frequent lightning and strong winds with very little rain and falling ash.  Started a fire very close to our place.  Sounds like the helicopters got water to it in time.   She said the lake is covered in floating ash. 

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

It's just so sad and heartbreaking to see what's going on in Lytton. The town's population is only 250 in the community and it's hard to recovery from this kind of devastation. Hopefully they all will be OK. 

Here closer to home and with the past heatwave, unfortunately 2 people in King County died from heat related problems and over 200 people visited emergency rooms. Just sad. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's really bad here man. All the trees that had sun exposure have burnt needles.  The maple and alder trees did fine. My Hemlock trees look really bad. I'm not worried about my Doug firs because there just a tough tree.

Hemlocks look pretty bad here too... but only one side.    I assume they will recover fine as long as they are otherwise healthy.   It's pretty strange though... nature literally burned them.   It looks like they were too close to a campfire.    This was one wicked event.  Although in terms of tree damage its probably not as extreme as the 2012 ice storm here.   The trees were completely mangled in that event.   There was another ice storm event more recently that left the area from just east of North Bend to Snoqualmie Pass looking like a bomb went off.   But nature healed itself.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

There will be effects for months down the road. Like I said the other day we probably won't know the full toll until next spring.

Fortunately, on most trees I've observed closely, the damage is limited to the most sun exposed surfaces. Still a lot of living tree underneath. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the problem overwhelm some entirely.

Yes. I mentioned this the other day as well as I was doing some research on the effect of heat like these on our evergreens. It was quite clear from the beginning that we will not see an immediate effect because as things heat up as such, it puts a lot of stress on the trees as they have to work extra hard to pull up water reserves from underground.. so they basically have to go into survival mode. How much water they are able to pull and retained is very critical base on how the soil is months before. Fortunately for us here in Western WA we had an early wet June so that will help the trees a lot more than it would down in OR. But it should be very clear that it affects the trees here too! 

That being said, I'm not buying into any "nice" pictures being posted about how the trees are still "green and lush" after this heatwave because we won't know the effect of it until weeks and months later.

• Like 1

It's pretty interesting how this cool interlude trended progressively cooler over the last couple of days.  At one point the GFS and its ensemble were going for 850s dropping to about 16C late this week, now the forecast is down slightly below 10C.  The heat in Central WA also got scoured out a day sooner than earlier projections.  Nice to see something verify cooler in the home stretch.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

8 minutes ago, CloudBFIWx said:

Yes. I mentioned this the other day as well as I was doing some research on the effect of heat like these on our evergreens. It was quite clear from the beginning that we will not see an immediate effect because as things heat up as such, it puts a lot of stress on the trees as they have to work extra hard to pull up water reserves from underground.. so they basically have to go into survival mode. How much water they are able to pull and retained is very critical base on how the soil is months before. Fortunately for us here in Western WA we had an early wet June so that will help the trees a lot more than it would down in OR. But it should be very clear that it affects the trees here too! 

That being said, I'm not buying into any "nice" pictures being posted about how the trees are still "green and lush" after this heatwave because we won't know the effect of it until weeks and months later.

The most dramatic thing I witnessed here is how fast my lawn fried.  Literally from green to golden brown in about 4 days.  Even some of the dreaded false dandelions turned crisp.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

Upon driving around today, I saw many different kinds of plants trees scorched. The south and west sides of trees were shades of brown and a lot of the plants low to the ground were badly damaged. Noticed Laurels and Rhodies were hard hit. 

Really nice out right now in the upper 60s. That marine layer came back into the Eastside early this evening.  

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

21 minutes ago, MossMan said:

It’s pretty insane that there has not been an emergency ban on fireworks state wide. 

There is firework stands scattered in Woodinville and Bothell. And Bothell just announced a ban on sales.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's pretty interesting how this cool interlude trended progressively cooler over the last couple of days.  At one point the GFS and its ensemble were going for 850s dropping to about 16C late this week, now the forecast is down slightly below 10C.  The heat in Central WA also got scoured out a day sooner than earlier projections.  Nice to see something verify cooler in the home stretch.

We had a high temp of 106 just two days ago and a high temp of 72 today. 34 degree drop over 2 days is a record for my location. 23 degree drop yesterday was one of the biggest I’ve recorded as well. 

Monthly rainfall-1.16”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

27 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

The Lytton weather station stopped reporting this afternoon. Perhaps lost to the fire. 

Kind of a messed up irony that it basically survived just long enough to catch that national record.

Here is a wider satellite view of the blow up in BC today... gives a better sense of the immense size.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-ca_reg_west-02-05_10Z-20210701_map_-67-1n-10-100.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The most dramatic thing I witnessed here is how fast my lawn fried.  Literally from green to golden brown in about 4 days.  Even some of the dreaded false dandelions turned crisp.

My lawn have friend as well... quite fast, the grasses are full on brown now. I have not accessed my dad's garden yet to see the damage but I don't think it's good either though he spent a lot of time watering when the sun went down. 

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Here is a wider satellite view of the blow up in BC today... gives a better sense of the immense size.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-ca_reg_west-02-05_10Z-20210701_map_-67-1n-10-100.gif

It will be so bad for us down here once the winds shift and it will shift. 

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The lawns turned from green to brown shockingly fast here, too. Every day I noticed how much browner they were.

Been biking around Bellingham quite a bit in the past two days, and there does not seem to be a great deal of obvious tree (or other plant) damage here. Not a complete surprise, as we had some of the lowest max temperatures and highest dew points during this event.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Apparently paradise lost 35” of snow in 5 days during the heat. 

2DA4C5FD-34E6-41D6-B5D5-5422DD39E9FD.jpeg

• Like 2

Monthly rainfall-1.16”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Pretty sad situation for people in small towns up there. BC is going to be an huge smoke machine all summer long best buckle up now and get air filters for smoke. 

• Like 1

Monthly rainfall-1.16”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Pretty sad situation for people in small towns up there. BC is going to be an huge smoke machine all summer long best buckle up now and get air filters for smoke. 

Washington forests are tinder-dry already on the east side of the state. I have a feeling this smoke season might make all the other recent ones look minor by comparison.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Washington forests are tinder-dry already on the east side of the state. I have a feeling this smoke season might make all the other recent ones look minor by comparison.

It’s something I’ve been anticipating for awhile but these fires blowing up in California and BC have made it reality. No appreciable rainfall coming in the foreseeable future…this summer could be a serious bummer. Not to mention how many acres could burn and homes destroyed across the western US and Canada. 

• Like 1

Monthly rainfall-1.16”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

15 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Apparently the whole entire town is being wiped out. Not confirmed but it looks dire. Just sad. 

I did not notice until now that the ECMWF is actually showing meaningful precip overnight and into tomorrow with the deepening marine layer.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_24hr_inch-5184000.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I did not notice until now that the ECMWF is actually showing meaningful precip overnight and into tomorrow with the deepening marine layer.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_24hr_inch-5184000.png

Yea kind of a nice surprise. Light rain here! 

• Like 1

00Z ECMWF shows the 4CH flexing its muscle... and it looks like its focused a little west of its normal center later in this run.

The drizzle tonight and tomorrow morning is the only measurable rain shown for WA... but the good news is that there is quite a bit of rain up in BC which would be very welcomed.  

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1625097600-1625097600-1625961600-10.gif

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-total_precip_inch-5961600.png

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Deweydog said:

SW interior gets nuclear hot late on the Euro. Soil moisture much?

600DM over Nevada.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z ECMWF shows the 4CH flexing its muscle... and it looks like its focused a little west of its normal center later in this run.

The drizzle tonight and tomorrow morning is the only measurable rain shown for WA... but the good news is that there is quite a bit of rain up in BC which would be very welcomed.  

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1625097600-1625097600-1625961600-10.gif

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-total_precip_inch-5961600.png

Not really liking where its headed. Going to shift the heat/dry up this way. Ugh. 

Silver lining is the Euro is essentially all by itself in with that silly looking 4CH D6-10.

I think that will tamp down in future runs.

• Like 1
  • lol 1

• iFred unpinned this topic