The Weather Forums

June 2021 Pacific Northwest Obs

7 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

The heat 🔥.  Not looking forward to this.

It’s going to be exciting watching some marine air finally push in at the end of this heatwave. It’ll still be hot…but more bearable. Might be one of the most anticipated marine pushes ever lol. 

• Like 3

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-27

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

It’s going to be exciting watching some marine air finally push in at the end of this heatwave. It’ll still be hot…but more bearable. Might be one of the most anticipated marine pushes ever lol. 

Totally agree.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

100 degrees here feels hotter than 112 in Vegas IMO. I guess it's the humidity. 

The 99-102 I have been experiencing in Eastern Washington over the last few days has not been bad at all, it won’t be that way here at home though. Still exciting to track though! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

The 99-102 I have been experiencing in Eastern Washington over the last few days has not been bad at all, it won’t be that way here at home though. Still exciting to track though! 

Yeah it does interest me, when was the last time you've noticed me here lol. Besides a pop in and say hello.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

One last thing... if Phil is saying that a deep cold trough is coming then sure it will be colder than normal.  I don't see anything like that yet.  But maybe it will come and we have seen that happen several times since April.   If we are left with a meandering pattern or even weak troughing then we will likely continue to run a little warmer than normal.   We have seen this repeatedly over the last decade once the stage has been set.   The complete lack of marine layer days this warm season is another tell-tale sign.  

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

One last thing... if Phil is saying that a deep cold trough is coming then sure it will be colder than normal.  I don't see anything like that yet.  But maybe it will come and we have seen that happen several times since April.   If we are left with a meandering pattern or even weak troughing then we will likely continue to run a little warmer than normal.   We have seen this repeatedly over the last decade once the stage has been set.   The complete lack of marine layer days this warm season is another tell-tale sign.  

Complete lack? Hyperbole alert! There was a marine layer here just this morning.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Complete lack? Hyperbole alert! There was a marine layer here just this morning.

I said marine layer days... not just marine layer.    And its probably more noticeable out here.   We have had almost no marine layer days this warm season (stormy days don't count) where the clouds don't burn off all day and it just gets a little brighter in the afternoon.   In some years its very different.    Its been extraordinarily sunny for this area since March.  

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I’m really feeling a front loaded winter coming up! 

I am feeling that too!   But I always hope for that and usually end up disappointed.   This might be the year though.   Maybe a November 1985 and a December 2008.  😃

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I am feeling that too!   But I always hope for that and usually end up disappointed.   This might be the year though.   Maybe a November 1985 and a December 2008.  😃

We’ve had 5 years in a row with snow here in February. We’re “due” for a mild wet February and some December snow at this point. 

• Like 4

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Warm season rainfall-5.26”

+80s-27

+85s-9

+90s-3

+100s-2

Highest temp-106

Our happy garden might fry... trying to figure out a way to shade it for Sunday and Monday.

203100903_4143566492378194_5827798797121687281_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

We do not need to have this discussion right now.    Too much going on.  

I am not saying blowtorch at all... I am saying it will be hard to have any cold anomalies without a deep, cold trough diving into the PNW.    We will stay on the warm side of normal.   You also learned this in 2016 when it ended up warmer than normal  for the July 11-31 period despite a troughy pattern overall.

PDX and OLM finished cooler than average in July 2016. So did most of the region.

Using 1991-2020 normals it would have been a solidly cooler than average month.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hmmmmm

Coldest temps here will be in late October again.

• Downvote 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

PDX and OLM finished cooler than average in July 2016. So did most of the region.

Using 1991-2020 normals it would have been a solidly cooler than average month.

As I said... July 11 - 31 was solidly warmer than normal.   +2.0 at SEA in that period.    And BLI was +2.0 for the entire month.   Nonetheless... you saw how our surface conditions can be somewhat disconnected from the upper levels in a meandering, weak troughing pattern.

Just now, Deweydog said:

Getting to the point where we can start tracking the front via surface obs. Currently 87 in Vegas…

That southerly hot blast is going to roar right up the spine of the Sierras and dump into the western lowlands and flash fry us!    

• Sun 1
  • scream 1

ICON is much warmer for Monday compared to its 12Z run... but it just a slight adjustment on timing because the marine push is about roar in by evening.   Still... it now shows ridiculous high temps on Monday afternoon.

Unfortunately... it completely gave up on the idea of the ULL coming inland and now shows it moving north along the coast like other models. 

icon-all-washington-t2m_f-4924800.png

icon-all-namer-z500_anom-4978800.png

• Popcorn 1

ICON shows temps crashing from around 114 to the low 70s in Portland on Monday evening by 11 p.m.

icon-all-washington-t2m_f-4946400.png

• Snow 1

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

As I said... July 11 - 31 was solidly warmer than normal.   +2.0 at SEA in that period.    And BLI was +2.0 for the entire month.   Nonetheless... you saw how our surface conditions can be somewhat disconnected from the upper levels in a meandering, weak troughing pattern.

34A0DFF1-05F2-4E59-829A-6CBAEBD52262.jpeg

073C9CDF-8143-4831-87BD-F0D5EE7D9557.jpeg

1 minute ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

The GFS has actually been the big winner. The other models have been playing follow the leader.

Once it picked up on the pattern the Euro has been stubborn that Monday will remain as hot as Sunday.

Phil... lets make a new thread if you want to re-hash 2016 while people are tracking a major event.  

The discussion is pointless though.   I am not saying it will be a blowtorch.   And it might get cold if we have a deep trough.   Read what Justin wrote... I am saying the same thing as he did.   

justin.png

• Like 2

What do I have to look forward to in Gold Bar? 

Forecast:

Sat: 102

Sun: 108

Mon: 109

I don't know if we'll be breaking records for the city, but I'll say that it comes close to the hottest temps I've experienced in Shafter, CA July...What a weird year. Record rain to start January, great snowstorm in February, additional blast in early April with cool temps, bone-dry spring, drenching June, and now this.

I'm calling it. November this year we're getting a blizzard to complete the circle.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

6 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Truly unfortunate for Tim that an all-time heatwave has overtaken 8 days and countless pages of I told you so posts to Phil about early July but god knows he isn't giving up hope yet. Hang in there man we're gonna get through this.

😀 

• Like 1

Hottest temps over Seattle on Monday... marine push coming from the south.

• Popcorn 1

Just now, GobBluth said:

Mid day marine pushes almost never happen in Portland.

Becoming pretty clear we are going to get major relief on Monday evening though.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Today's daylight was 11 seconds shorter than yesterday's, which was 6 seconds shorter than Monday's.

Tomorrow will be 16 seconds shorter than today.

So how many seconds of daylight will Bob be deprived of by Thursday evening? 

😱  loved those questions in School 

• Troll 1

Looks like we get back to our normal upper 80s to low 90s by the middle of next week.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

45 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Truly unfortunate for Tim that an all-time heatwave has overtaken 8 days and countless pages of I told you so posts to Phil about early July but god knows he isn't giving up hope yet. Hang in there man we're gonna get through this.

I hope you get the worst sunburn of your life. :) 

• Sun 1
  • Downvote 1

00z GEM for Sunday and Monday. You can see the marine push making its way in Monday afternoon.

sfct.us_nw-6.png

sfct.us_nw-7.png

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

• iFred unpinned this topic