July 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Bud and Sparky appear to be in a good spot over the next hour or two.

Storms were pretty lame here and got a nice rain though was a little disappointed in the amount to think I was in the main band. The first severe warned storm weakened just as it moved in and caught just the northeast edge with barely 0.20”. After other showers the last big cell took the same path as the first and mostly missed. Got 0.03” before evening rainfall of 0.60”. Had some vivid lightning and loud thunder at times. The sweet corn in the garden went nearly flat from a brisk easterly wind. Must’ve not been rooted very deeply. 

• Like 3

Lots of damage in Southwest Omaha, our basketball hoop was completely knocked over by the winds and blown into the gutters above my garage… sucks because we just had new gutters installed in June, ugh.

Over 100K without power in the metro area! Crazy, intense line of storms that took aim at us tonight here.

• Like 5
  • Windy 1

koma-

KOMA 100531Z 36046G78KT 1/2SM R14R/0500V1800FT +TSRA FG FEW010 BKN024CB OVC070 17/16 RMK AO2 PK WND 36083/0520 WSHFT 0506 LTG DSNT ALQDS RAB17 CONS LTGICCCCACG ALQDS TS MOV SE P0022 T01720161 $
KOMA 100523Z 01055G83KT 1 1/4SM R14R/0500VP6000FT +TSRA BR SQ FEW010 BKN024CB OVC070 19/18 RMK AO2 PK WND 36083/0520 WSHFT 0506 VIS 1/4V5 LTG DSNT ALQDS RAB17 CONS LTGICCCCACG ALQDS TS MOV SE P0000 T01940178 $

Gusted to 95mph at 12:20AM!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Windy 1
  • scream 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

While it sucks that this event appears to be a dud for many in northeastern Iowa, the last thing Cedar Rapids needs is another damaging wind storm.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

While it sucks that this event appears to be a dud for many in northeastern Iowa, the last thing Cedar Rapids needs is another damaging wind storm.

I concur, I'm ok with missing out on the severe stuff...give me some garden variety downpours that should come late tonight into Sun.  We could use another drink from nature.

High rez models spinning the ULL in a perfect location to allow for some heavy precip rotating from east to west across N IL...

nam3km_apcpn_ncus_17.png

• Like 2

I got my eyes on late next week/weekend as HP looks to dominate the region ushering in comfy DP's and temps near 80F...ahh yes, this is the type of summer I absolutely enjoy in the MW...bouts of action and tranquility...gotta love it!

On a side note, the Monsoon continues to deliver mountain rains over the past couple days in Arizona.  Next week looks even better as the pattern fires up consecutive days of storm action.  Keep it comin'.

Meantime, 0z EPS overall a cooler look for the next 5-15 days across the majority of the central/southern Sub....

1.gif

• Like 2

I had my biggest wind event of the season last night. I'm guessing gusts around 60 mph which is similar to other nearby reports. Received 1.12" of rain during the night and this morning. We had some tree damage in the area...next door neighbors lost a branch that knocked down their cable internet service wire. Pretty exciting...lol.

• Like 5

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Northern MO again was hit with heavy rains. 6-8 in fell for the second week in a row and many roads are washed out.

My son and his wife (and their 7 mo old child) drove from KC yesterday late afternoon and evening to Burlington IA to visit some of her family and didn't run into any rain (minor miracle..lol) until they got to Burlington which had flooding underway and they had to take an alternate route to get to her grandmother's house. They plan to come back Sunday so hopefully they won't run into any travel problems.

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

19 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

My son and his wife (and their 7 mo old child) drove from KC yesterday late afternoon and evening to Burlington IA to visit some of her family and didn't run into any rain (minor miracle..lol) until they got to Burlington which had flooding underway and they had to take an alternate route to get to her grandmother's house. They plan to come back Sunday so hopefully they won't run into any travel problems.

Looks like I really dodged a bullet last night the updated rainfall totals for the northern half of MO are ridiculous.

image.png.43d007fc2a0787bc8aa1c445336f9ec2.png

• Like 3
  • scream 2

Short clip I took while in my car near Stanton, IA. Winds were probably 60-70 mph. Thankfully very little hail or I would have lost glass.

I have much more video from my dashcam I’m going to go through later today.

At my house, the wind tipped over our big old grill that also had a propane tank sitting in it, but yet the little scrub bush didn’t move🤷‍♂️

AD37EB00-8F5F-445C-AA64-98FA40A42DA3.jpeg

03127E10-FE30-4002-8489-00A9BF46BA62.jpeg

• Like 4

When I click on the movie files this morning all I get is a page with the comment, "We could not locate the item you are trying to view." 

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"