July 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Greetings everyone!  I am new here and still exploring the forum.

Just wanted to wish you all a great day and hope that smoke isn't too bad in your region.  It doesn't look too great on the radars, but I know it's different in each area.  Some have high smoke, some had low smoke.

Other than that, I look forward to being part of the community!  😃

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NWbyNW said:

Just wanted to wish you all a great day and hope that smoke isn't too bad in your region.  It doesn't look too great on the radars, but I know it's different in each area.  Some have high smoke, some had low smoke.

Welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NWbyNW said:

Welcome!

Had a nice surprise band of rain come through overnight that produced about a .25" of precip.  It's a foggy, gloomy, dreary and damp morning (68F/68F).  Skies should clear this afternoon and temps rise to near 80F.  Can't wait for the sun!  It's amazing to me how much the sun effects one psyche.  It's no wonder people in the sunnier states are generally in a better mood.

• Like 4

Beautiful morning 64 degrees and sunny.  It's going to warm up fast upper 80s today low 90s tomorrow.  Models seem to be going back and forth on how much rain will fall later this week and long the system may stick around.  It would be nice to have a dry weekend.

• Like 1

8 of the first 12 days of July 2021 have been below average temperature wise. There now have been 5 days in a row when it has not reached 80 if it fails to reach 80 today that will make 6 days in a row and you have to go back to July of 2013 to find a string of such days in July.  I recorded 0.03" of rain fall here yesterday and overnight. Officially there was only 1% of possible sun shine yesterday so in what should be our sunniest time of the year we year instead we are getting a lot of clouds. The overnight low here and officially at the airport was 69. At this time it is cloudy and 71 here.

• Like 1

Terry Swails (local former tv met) posted the following image on his website.

6 month precip anomaly

precip_anom.thumb.png.661527e75d37ea551dd0eb46b48d62d2.png

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Summer Heat Fun Facts Time!

While the western U.S. has been cooking, here in TOP the sizzling summer heat so far was mainly compressed to a six day period in June, otherwise pretty tolerable temps. I included stats from May though not technically summer.

Days 90F or above

• May: 0
  • June: 16
  • July (1-12): 2
  • July (13-19 forecast): 2

Days 95F or above (May 1 to July 19 including forecast temps)

• June 15-20 (6 consecutive days: 96, 96, 101, 100, 96, 97)
  • July 9 (96)

Temp anomaly

• May: -2.7
  • June: +2.3
  • July (1-12): -2.5
  • Like 5

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

8 of the first 12 days of July 2021 have been below average temperature wise. There now have been 5 days in a row when it has not reached 80 if it fails to reach 80 today that will make 6 days in a row and you have to go back to July of 2013 to find a string of such days in July.  I recorded 0.03" of rain fall here yesterday and overnight. Officially there was only 1% of possible sun shine yesterday so in what should be our sunniest time of the year we year instead we are getting a lot of clouds. The overnight low here and officially at the airport was 69. At this time it is cloudy and 71 here.

It’s interesting that you mentioned July 2013 bc I was having flashbacks of that summer based on how this July has been going.  That was the year my sisters 1st daughter was born July 26th to be exact and I remember how cloudy and cool it was for late July.  I think it was in the mid 60’s around that time.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It’s interesting that you mentioned July 2013 bc I was having flashbacks of that summer based on how this July has been going.  That was the year my sisters 1st daughter was born July 26th to be exact and I remember how cloudy and cool it was for late July.  I think it was in the mid 60’s around that time.

Here in Grand Rapids there were 8 days in a row of highs below 80 and there were 6 days in a row with highs in the low 70's and one with highs in the upper 60's (67 on July 28) and the lows were in the  50's  on 5 of the nights so yes a very cool period for the end of July in 2013. The start of that August was also cool with 6 more days in a row of  highs in just the 70's and low mostly in the 50's It did warm up in late August that year. And of course the winter of 2013/14 was you know cold and snowy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Terry Swails (local former tv met) posted the following image on his website.

6 month precip anomaly

precip_anom.thumb.png.661527e75d37ea551dd0eb46b48d62d2.png

I’m kind of in the narrow garden spot right now beings it’s not to wet or dry. Was to dry for awhile in June though.

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

Here in Grand Rapids there were 8 days in a row of highs below 80 and there were 6 days in a row with highs in the low 70's and one with highs in the upper 60's (67 on July 28) and the lows were in the  50's  on 5 of the nights so yes a very cool period for the end of July in 2013. The start of that August was also cool with 6 more days in a row of  highs in just the 70's and low mostly in the 50's It did warm up in late August that year. And of course the winter of 2013/14 was you know cold and snowy

I like your thinking there buddy....looking at the LR models, it appears there will be a cooler end to July after a warm up the following week.  IMO, Aug has potential to drive down some strong troughs late month and usher some very cool days/nights.  Something interesting is brewing.

• Like 2

What I am wondering is if Cedar Rapids is ever going to get a strong thunderstorm this summer. It just blows my mind that I have barely seen any lighting or heard any thunder. I also haven't seen a wind gust higher than 30mph. By now, we would have normally seen several rounds of thunderstorms given how "active" this pattern has been. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow and Thursday. How do prospects look for stormy patterns for the rest of this summer? 

2 hours ago, Iowawx said:

What I am wondering is if Cedar Rapids is ever going to get a strong thunderstorm this summer. It just blows my mind that I have barely seen any lighting or heard any thunder. I also haven't seen a wind gust higher than 30mph. By now, we would have normally seen several rounds of thunderstorms given how "active" this pattern has been. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow and Thursday. How do prospects look for stormy patterns for the rest of this summer? 

I have had about 4 claps of thunder here in Waterloo as well. It's the least amount of thunder I can ever remember during the summer. I'll be 40 on Thursday lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Very smokey this morning. It's going to be a warm humid day with a high of around 90 and heat index values near 100.

16262618582024729900716101462124.jpg

My brother, his wife and some friends just left for the Lake of the Ozarks.  They are towing a 26ft Baja down there for the week.  Fri ain't looking to nice but the weekend is trending better down in MO.  They were saying on Sat there is a big Aqua party at the Party Cove or thereabouts.  Should be a fun time down there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

My brother, his wife and some friends just left for the Lake of the Ozarks.  They are towing a 26ft Baja down there for the week.  Fri ain't looking to nice but the weekend is trending better down in MO.  They were saying on Sat there is a big Aqua party at the Party Cove or thereabouts.  Should be a fun time down there.

The weekend forecast is improving the models keep dropping the rain further south but I am skeptical. They will have a blast at party cove it's always a good time down there.

• Like 1

I guess I got between 0.50-0.70” in overnight thunderstorms. Didn’t hear them. I hadn’t put my gauge back out from when I mowed yesterday, so I’m going off of what two different weather aps had for amounts. No rain was forecasted. Now a new band is moving in. What an odd summer of surprise rains when NWS Hastings said nothing. I just now put my gauge back. 😁

• Like 2

I recorded 0.52" of rain fall yesterday. Officially GRR reported 0.68" Yesterday was the 6th day in a row of highs at Grand Rapids in the 70's The overnight low both here at my house and officially at GRR was 62 at this time it is 72 here with clear skies.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

This is looking like a huge bust for Cedar Rapids (again). This mornings storms are going north of here, and the HRRR doesn't look good at all. Another day where hyped up severe weather turns out to be a dud. 

Yeah, the HRRR has totally dried up for the central to east-central Iowa corridor.  The 3kNAM and HWR FV3 still show some solid storms late tonight.  We had better get something decent out of this because the next two weeks appear very dry.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Storms are further south than I expected. I figured on seeing nothing till tonight maybe. And it appeared like an outflow boundary is moving through central Iowa which is further south than the NWS was expecting if I understood correctly. Maybe that will shunt redevelopment further south this afternoon is my hope, but who knows. Things are looking better than I expected. Just don’t look at the models. Haha. They don’t really agree now yet anyway.

• Like 2