July 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Thanks @Tom. I saw very minor damage after leaving Walmart.  Apparently there was a touchdown close to where I was at though. I picked up 1.70" at my place yesterday from both rounds.

On a different note...today I leave for tour with my band! We will actually be in Chicago tonight. Goin around the midwest, down to TX and then we end in Tennessee. I'll return home Aug 2nd. Ill try to stop in from time to time. 

• Like 7

I only received 0.10" of rain last evening.  My July total is only 0.58".  Typically, that would mean dry, burned-up lawns, but the cool, cloudy weather has kept the lawns green.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I ended up with just 1.08”. Much more just south and north. Nice rainfall though! Here are some 24 hr. totals as of 9:00am. (Bottom map)

The top map is radar estimates for July. The CR. area appears to have the lowest amounts of the whole state! 😕3D455F8C-F31B-4CDC-9B70-46C8B1CDDDCC.thumb.png.c3b55d0370fd8663b7f7debe3c50a448.png8DA7539C-9ACB-45C4-B88A-83CAFBFA6091.png.58371226ecf6172df14c09d260235f5d.png

• Like 4
  • Sick 1

This video was captured up near Flagstaff, AZ as the Monsoon delivered...too many times I've seen videos like these and there were campers situated way to close to dried up river beds and in minutes (or seconds) a massive influx of water rushes down them from storms up in the mountains.  Wild video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1415327623153029121

• Like 2

This was taken two nights ago during the tornado outbreak in Iowa.  The sirens did go off here in Marion for a tornado warned cell just north of town.  This was taken at an event center just a few miles from my house.  

75A31565-4979-40F7-9171-9A695B5FE3AB.png

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Tom said:

This video was captured up near Flagstaff, AZ as the Monsoon delivered...too many times I've seen videos like these and there were campers situated way to close to dried up river beds and in minutes (or seconds) a massive influx of water rushes down them from storms up in the mountains.  Wild video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1415327623153029121

I love Flagstaff and the No Az area.  It’s really stunning to see that area experience such wild weather.   My husband wanted to move there but I cautioned him as I know huge changes are coming.  
I think we’ll see our climate change and swing to a colder wetter climate in areas that have not been like that in modern times.  I know I’m seeing some concerning changes here in No Tx. 
We’re having a very unusual summer.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

13 minutes ago, Andie said:

I love Flagstaff and the No Az area.  It’s really stunning to see that area experience such wild weather.   My husband wanted to move there but I cautioned him as I know huge changes are coming.  
I think we’ll see our climate change and swing to a colder wetter climate in areas that have not been like that in modern times.  I know I’m seeing some concerning changes here in No Tx. 
We’re having a very unusual summer.  

The amount of rain the mountains of AZ have seen so far this monsoon season has been incredible.  Even so, parts of the valley of PHX have already seen well over 1" of rain just this past week with daily chances of rain through the extended.  Something is def brewing and my gut was saying to look for this to happen in the SW this year as a sign of things to come down the road.

Just in the last 30 days, check out the expansion of AN precip and totals so far.  Nature will keep adding to the pot well into Aug this year.

2.png

1.png

• Like 3

I had 0.10" of rain yesterday, the overnight low here was 61 and that looks to have been the official overnight low at GRR. We are near the half way mark of July 2021 and the mean is for the month at Grand Rapids in now at 71.8  and that is a departure of -0.9. Grand Rapids is now on track for the coolest July since 2015. So far the high for the month has been 89 and the low so far has been 54. There has been a recorded 1.56" of rain fall and the is about 0.27" below where it should be (at GRR) For June and July so far the mean at GRR is 71.4 The 30 year average mean at this time is 70.8.

14 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Nebraska folks better get ready for some heat to finish out July if the GFS is right.  The plains have several days over the century mark.

Yup, same up here. Will probably not have a high below 90 for a while starting next week. Horrible, horrible summer here.

• Sad 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Since July 7 it has been very cloudy and cool. Grand Rapids Has had 5 days with less than 20% possible sunshine and only 1 day in the last 9 days has gotten out of the 70’s nighttime lows have mostly been in the lower 60’s So much for mid-July being the hottest time of this year.

What a gorgeous July morning.  Low to mid 80’s.  Light wind.  Perfect for Tx.!

Next week I’ll see temps at 86 to 92*. 
Yeah!  Texas in July. Possible showers. 
Amazingly crazy for the heat of our summer.  We should be pushing the high 90’s. The plants are in heaven.  

Of course, the back side for this treat is the coming winter.  I’m preparing for a butt kicker, including another failure of our electrical supply.  

I believe we are all experiencing the wrath of the sun and a Grand Solar Minimum. And I think we’re headed for a repeat of a kind of  Little Ice Age.  I don’t expect another typical Texas for the rest of my lifetime.  I’m retired so that may not mean much to the young people on this site, but life is going to change for you too.  Best get ready.  

Mother Earth is cyclic and your weather studies prove that.  This colder era is just another cycle but it is sure to change our lives.  My bet is we’re looking at 35-50 yrs of cooler temps on average.  Just like this summer week.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2 hours ago, Andie said:

What a gorgeous July morning.  Low to mid 80’s.  Light wind.  Perfect for Tx.!

Next week I’ll see temps at 86 to 92*. 
Yeah!  Texas in July. Possible showers. 
Amazingly crazy for the heat of our summer.  We should be pushing the high 90’s. The plants are in heaven.  

Of course, the back side for this treat is the coming winter.  I’m preparing for a butt kicker, including another failure of our electrical supply.  

I believe we are all experiencing the wrath of the sun and a Grand Solar Minimum. And I think we’re headed for a repeat of a kind of  Little Ice Age.  I don’t expect another typical Texas for the rest of my lifetime.  I’m retired so that may not mean much to the young people on this site, but life is going to change for you too.  Best get ready.  

Mother Earth is cyclic and your weather studies prove that.  This colder era is just another cycle but it is sure to change our lives.  My bet is we’re looking at 35-50 yrs of cooler temps on average.  Just like this summer week.  

lol, don't look at the extended forecast for Texas.  Heat dome going to set up over much of the state for quite a while.   We are baking overall.    

So far July has been about average in KC

12728966_940934019294575_581018377346962

US National Weather Service Kansas City Missouri
about an hour ago

Halfway Report: At the midpoint of the month, July 2021 in KC stands as the 43rd coolest and is 1.1 degrees below normal. The monthly precipitation total stands at 2.56" which is 0.12" above normal and is the 46th wettest on record. #NearNormalJuly #AtLeastItHasNotSnowed

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

lol, don't look at the extended forecast for Texas.  Heat dome going to set up over much of the state for quite a while.   We are baking overall.    

That would be normal for us.  Some normal would be comforting. 😄
This has been such an odd summer that returning to the shake and bake of Texas would be the good ol days.  

Wednesday’s tornado outbreak was one of Iowa’s largest on record! This was as of yesterday when I forgot to post this screenshot from Twitter. Kind of unusual to have it occur in July. BTW, tornado records on go back to 1980 according to another post on Twitter.6EE2315A-B5B3-4ACE-A71E-0A8354D684CD.thumb.jpeg.1a1a80b283fbfeaf324f837ee942d1af.jpeg

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 4
  • scream 1

Our stretch of cloudy, rainy and dreary days are over and I'm truly looking forward to the sunnier and drier stretch of weather over the course of the upcoming week.  I'm staying up in Volo, IL which is in Lake county that is still categorized in the severe/extreme drought.  Surprisingly, the grass and crop look pretty good up here even though soil moisture is lacking.  Timely rains?  Anyway, I think we are heading to a local lake here in Waucanda, IL for the day to soak in the sun and enjoy this beautiful weather.

1.png

As for next week, it looks like the GFS was onto the right idea of a backdoor CF to hit late Tue pm into Wed as a trough slides through the eastern GL's.  I think this is the likely pattern as we roll through the 2nd half of July.  The Upper MW and parts of the Plains will Fry, while the rest of us in the central/eastern Sub will Thrive in a top notch mid summer pattern.  No big Heat (3+ consecutive days of 90's) signals out this way yet and don't expect to see any in the foreseeable future.

00z GEFS painting a classic "Ring of Fire" pattern for Week 2 that the JMA weeklies showed the other day as well.  The 0z EPS is picking up on this also.  End the month of July with a bang?  

gfs-ens_z500aMean_us_10.png

gfs-ens_apcpna_us_8.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

Our stretch of cloudy, rainy and dreary days are over and I'm truly looking forward to the sunnier and drier stretch of weather over the course of the upcoming week.  I'm staying up in Volo, IL which is in Lake county that is still categorized in the severe/extreme drought.  Surprisingly, the grass and crop look pretty good up here even though soil moisture is lacking.  Timely rains?  Anyway, I think we are heading to a local lake here in Waucanda, IL for the day to soak in the sun and enjoy this beautiful weather.

1.png

As for next week, it looks like the GFS was onto the right idea of a backdoor CF to hit late Tue pm into Wed as a trough slides through the eastern GL's.  I think this is the likely pattern as we roll through the 2nd half of July.  The Upper MW and parts of the Plains will Fry, while the rest of us in the central/eastern Sub will Thrive in a top notch mid summer pattern.  No big Heat (3+ consecutive days of 90's) signals out this way yet and don't expect to see any in the foreseeable future.

00z GEFS painting a classic "Ring of Fire" pattern for Week 2 that the JMA weeklies showed the other day as well.  The 0z EPS is picking up on this also.  End the month of July with a bang?  

gfs-ens_apcpna_us_8.png

PLEASE for the love of God. This has been a dust bowl summer here. Seems like I have hit the 90s every other day since June and we have only received one night of decent heavy rain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

10 minutes ago, FAR_Weather said:

PLEASE for the love of God. This has been a dust bowl summer here. Seems like I have hit the 90s every other day since June and we have only received one night of decent heavy rain.

I can only imagine what your feeling up there bud.  As a wx enthusiast, this pattern would drive me crazy!  It's like living in the deserts of the SW...dry and hot is not what you want.  Heck, even most of the valley in PHX is getting much more precip than Fargo of late.  Crazy pattern.  However, I do see your region in the vicinity of where the more active pattern may set up later next week.  I'm sending you my blessings for wetter days!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

Storms coming over the ridge may produce for you but once that drought pattern grabs a hold storms just seem to find a way to miss. I hope you get some I feel for ya.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tStacsh said:

Abit of normal is actually comforting.  
When weather gets totally out of whack down here it’s unnerving.  

10 hours ago, Tom said:

1.png

gfs-ens_apcpna_us_8.png

Have fun! Perfect summer weather here as well though still a little on the muggy side.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

At least you’re not a farmer or trying to grow many things! 

• Sad 1

I had to resume watering my garden yesterday, and especially today.  I spent a couple hours watering my garden and my neighbor's pots and sod/seed today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I had to resume watering my garden yesterday, and especially today.  I spent a couple hours watering my garden and my neighbor's pots and sod/seed today.

That’s what I was doing for weeks back in June. Right now I need to mow the lawns every few days as it’s growing like in May! It should slow it’s growth after a week of no rain and rising temps though.

• Like 1