July 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

25 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

On my dew point site, I saw an 88 Dew Point in north central Iowa. I don’t know the reporting station. There was a location near that site showing an 84. Is this accurate Iowans? If it is, I don’t recall seeing an 88 Dew before. 

IDK but I'd probably drown in an 88 dew point...lol. I did see a couple of 81 DPs up that way on the NWS current conditions map so who knows...

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

On my dew point site, I saw an 88 Dew Point in north central Iowa. I don’t know the reporting station. There was a location near that site showing an 84. Is this accurate Iowans? If it is, I don’t recall seeing an 88 Dew before. 

Clarion,IA.   It almost looks legit for previous obs. They put these sensors smack dab in the middle of corn/soy fields and on days like today you know those crops are exhaling like crazy. I think a 88F dew point 5-10 years ago in MN was verified in Moorehead and in the middle of a cornfield, so who knows. image.png.ff5af277f6ead9f859337a4c3c6dcb07.png

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

2 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

The 84 was at Algona. Lots of 82-83's today that I trust. 84 might be a stretch, but as mentioned above; who really knows for sure.

image.thumb.png.b6ddc30c532100c306da0790615932e4.png

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Real nice local storms from a summer “cold front”. . Picked up between 1/3-1/2” rain.   
We started at 95* and it’s 81* now.  
That’s a nice change. Air smells good too.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

It is simply unreal how we are already in late July and Cedar Rapids still hasn't gotten any severe thunderstorms. I really wish those storms in Wisconsin could move down here tonight (except for the wind) It is still so dry here, looks like I will finish July with less than an inch of rain. Unreal how areas to the east and south of us just keep getting storms. Especially Chicago, Milwaukee, and Kansas City. Cedar Rapids for some reason just gets screwed every time. 

1 minute ago, Iowawx said:

It is simply unreal how we are already in late July and Cedar Rapids still hasn't gotten any severe thunderstorms. I really wish those storms in Wisconsin could move down here tonight. It is still so dry here, looks like I will finish July with less than an inch of rain. Unreal how areas to the east and south of us just keep getting storms. Especially Chicago, Milwaukee, and Kansas City. Cedar Rapids for some reason just gets screwed every time. 

Are you serious?  If you remember we had a derecho last year.  I for one have been glad we haven’t had severe weather this year.  

Just now, BMT said:

Are you serious?  If you remember we had a derecho last year.  I for one have been glad we haven’t had severe weather this year.  

I didn't realize that was forecast up there, we don't need that but a thunderstorm with heavy rain to get us out of the worsening drought would be nice.

22 minutes ago, Sparky said:

There’s a station reporting errors in northeast Ia somewhere for awhile (at least since last week) now and it’s screwing up the maps here and elsewhere!

Yeah, the bad station is annoying.  It appears to be Independence.  You'd think someone at Mesonet would notice and remove the station.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 minute ago, Iowawx said:

I didn't realize that was forecast up there, we don't need that but a thunderstorm with heavy rain to get us out of the worsening drought would be nice.

I don't want any severe weather, but we badly need some solid storms with heavy rain.  Unfortunately, there is nothing in sight.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I don't want any severe weather, but we badly need some solid storms with heavy rain.  Unfortunately, there is nothing in sight.

Why do you think Cedar Rapids has gotten missed so many times this summer? We've had so many "active" patterns that just didn't materialize around here, but always did to the east and south. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On the bright side, we are likely at the peak of summer. At least I hope. The heat wave back in June was a few degrees hotter, but dew points were much lower. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 hour ago, Iowawx said:

Why do you think Cedar Rapids has gotten missed so many times this summer? We've had so many "active" patterns that just didn't materialize around here, but always did to the east and south. 

It’s just what happens in spots every year. It happened here in recent summers too when CR did much better.

My station which seems to show dews on the high side showed a max dew of 85° today! I’ve had up to 84° dews in past years, but can’t remember it being 85°. It’s right beside the sweet corn patch and hay field. Not sure how much that contributes to dews. Maximum heat index to 117° and I’ve seen up to mid 120°s for that in past years.

• Like 4
  • Storm 1

I have tracked  these dewpoints  closely  for past 6 years.  Mine had never been higher than 83.  But 85 twice this week!  Ive noticed many 80 or higher dp across Iowa today. Mine is similar  usually  to the Fairfield  airport. The Washington  county one seems quite high frequently.  I was between oskaloosa and Freemont at a business  surrounded  by corn, it was horrid!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

I have tracked  these dewpoints  closely  for past 6 years.  Mine had never been higher than 83.  But 85 twice this week!  Ive noticed many 80 or higher dp across Iowa today. Mine is similar  usually  to the Fairfield  airport. The Washington  county one seems quite high frequently.  I was between oskaloosa and Freemont at a business  surrounded  by corn, it was horrid!

I’ve tracked or kept dew point etc records since 2002. Here’s a table I made. 9th row from the bottom has max dews per year. Other tables I make also have dates of occurrence.
Sorry my image isn’t sharp on here. It helps to click or tap on the image.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Debuque may get a good cell with heavy rain.

This is a real nice soaker for Dubuque as the western end of the line back-builds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

TOM going to get in on the action--  MD 1384 graphic

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1384.html

Indeed it was Grizz, I was awaken by the thunder, winds & rain pelting my window.  Can't remember what time it was but it had to be around 2:00am when I looked at the radar on my phone.  Lot's of wires down in the areas just to my east and north of here.  Thankfully, I have power today and lucked out again 2 nights in a row....phew!

I just looked at the radar loop and it appears the line was in a weakening trend as it rolled through N Cook.  What is concerning, my sister and her family is camping in an area in SE WI just north of Kenosha area and that is where you could see that vortex spinning on radar.  I gotta check in with her and the family this morning.

Looking back at where the MOD Severe wx threat was forecast it looks like a bust north of MKE down into GRR.  Last nights RPM and IBM GRAF model hit this line of storms almost spot on.  Skilling was pumped up on this potential and it delivered.  The line kept back building west that even E IA is getting nailed right now.

1.gif

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

11 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This is a real nice soaker for Dubuque as the western end of the line back-builds.

Yes much of the the rest of the line was pretty narrow with probably more wind than rain, especially by the time it reached n. IL.

Over the past few days, I've had between  2.5" to 3" of rain if you add up all 3 events based on local reports.  I'm extremely pleased with the outcome of how this wx pattern developed.  Now, it's time to dry out and enjoy some beautiful drier and cooler air from our friends up north...Hello Canadian air!  After enduring some heat and humidity this past week, I can't wait to have the windows open later this afternoon and prob won't close them throughout the entire week next week.  Models keep cooling temps into the upper 70's now for a number of days in a row...ahhh, this is going to feel amazing!

Now, it's going to be E NE/S IA/N MO turn to see some severe wx potential...some of you are going to finish the month off with a bang.  Similarly, the models are suggesting a corridor of heavy precip across parts of this region.  Something tells me the Euro is off and too far N and this will eventually end up a bit farther S.  @Clinton @snowstorm83 and the rest of the OMA/LNK peeps are looking good ATM.  These set ups usually end up sagging farther south it seems when most models are north.  Just like it happened over here last night.  We'll have to see.

1.png

0z GEFS...

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_15.png

• Like 2
  • Rain 1

Today will likely be the hottest day of the year, I'm expecting a high of 100 and the heat index to be in the 110 range by late afternoon.  KCI with their consistently broken equipment claims to have not reached 100 degrees in 3 years, so that streak will likely end today.  The heat advisory has been extended through 9pm tomorrow so it will take some time to push this heat out and move the cooler air in.  Hoping to get some big boomers Friday or Sat night, I would think any storm that forms could quickly become severe.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, Northland09 said:

Been a while since I have posted on here, hope everyone has been doing good and enjoying the summer! Personally I can't wait until it is over with. I am soooo done with this heat. Especially when you work outside for a living. But on the positive side, I'm so used to it now that at least 90 degrees doesn't feel too bad unless the dew points are ridiculous like we will be experiencing today and tomorrow. Going to go work outside for a couple more hours and then I will become a hermit :P I was kind of bummed yesterday as we were supposed to get some good storms but they never came past Hinckley towards the cities. To be honest, as much as a storm would be nice, an all day light rain would be even better. Give it a chance to actually get into the ground and benefit us a bit. Hopefully we get rain soon as we need it just as bad as those to the west. As far as winter goes, pretty sure it's going to be a doozy. We always had a rule of thumb to live by when we plowed. If it was a rainy summer, it will be a dry winter. If it was a dry summer, it will be a snowy winter. I'm quite excited to see what this coming season brings!

From what I have been told, too young to remember myself, 1988 drought was followed by a very cold and snowy 88-89 winter for Minnesota.  So cold and snowy that the MN DNR was giving out deer feed for wild deer who were struggling through the deep snow and cold.  That would never happen today though with the risk of spreading CWD, among other reasons.

2012 was followed by a very snowy winter, albeit didn't really get going until late January.  

On the flip side 2006 was a very dry summer followed by an equally dry and warm winter...  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beltrami Island said:

On the flip side 2006 was a very dry summer followed by an equally dry and warm winter...  

Right now, holding out hope that the last warm and dry winter makes up for that.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.