July 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Here is my area there we no storms last night or this morning I recorded a total of 0.10" of rain fall. The last few years here in my area there have NOT been much in the way of thunder and lightning. The last two years there were very few and so far this year is even worst. While there have been periods of heavy rain there most have happened with little or no thunder. 

With the official high so far this month of 89 this will be the first July that it has not reached 90 or better since 2014 and only the 5th time in the last 30 years. It has now became cloudy and the temperature is now at 75 here with the clouds

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Looking back at where the MOD Severe wx threat was forecast it looks like a bust north of MKE down into GRR.

Yes, there were no storms here last night or this morning. It was a warm night here with the temperature hanging around 78 most of the night before dropping down to 73 during the shower when 0.10" of rain fell here.

• Like 1

Cedar Rapids is just incredibly unlucky this month.

Here is Friday night into Saturday morning

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

• Sad 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It's nasty, 79 degree DP is the highest of the year here.  The breeze is the only helping today.

Current conditions at

Clinton, MO (KGLY)

Lat: 38.36°NLon: 93.68°WElev: 823ft.
sct.png

Fair

93°F

34°C

Humidity 63%
Wind Speed Vrbl 6 G 12 mph
Barometer 30.06 in
Dewpoint 79°F (26°C)
Visibility 9.00 mi
Heat Index 110°F (43°C)
Last update 29 Jul 1:15 pm CDT
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

That’s one of the few models that gives me decent rainfall, so I’m not to hopeful yet beings I’m riding the edge. At least it shifted a hair ne.

• Like 1

My heat just got upgraded to an excessive heat warning ☹️.  Currently 96 with a Heat index of 111

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CDT FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Dangerously hot conditions with heat index values between
  105 and 110 this afternoon, and near 105 Friday afternoon.

* WHERE...Portions of east central and northeast Kansas and
  central, northwest and west central Missouri.

* WHEN...Until 9 PM CDT Friday.
  • Sun 1

Like yesterday, the temp has risen to 90º here.  However, the dew yesterday was 78º, but it has fallen to 69º this afternoon... a very noticeable difference.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Didn’t hit our expected 101* today.  High of 99*,  humidity at 50%.  

They’re forecasting 100* tomorrow but we’ll see.  With luck our run of century marks are over and out!

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Like yesterday, the temp has risen to 90º here.  However, the dew yesterday was 78º, but it has fallen to 69º this afternoon... a very noticeable difference.

It didn’t feel much different than yesterday down here. It felt pretty bad and even I really sweated when working outdoors. It has to be tropical like to get me sweating doing regular work. I saw the dew at 79° at one point this afternoon. Likely hit 80° but I haven’t checked yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

The 0Z CAMs shifted the heaviest axis back northeast of Omaha too for the most part. Hope it’s not a trend. I held off watering this entire week once Friday looked like a good chance of decent rain.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

The 0Z CAMs shifted the heaviest axis back northeast of Omaha too for the most part. Hope it’s not a trend. I held off watering this entire week once Friday looked like a good chance of decent rain.

If that materialized, just a repeat  of the  pattern since early may.  A dry 10 to 18 days followed by a deluge in wapello,  davis, Jefferson. Vanburen  counties.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Happy Friday!  It's 5:55am as I write this and the sun rose today at 5:43am local time.  It's a wonderful start to the morning with an air temp of 66F and a very comfy DP 56F.  My goodness, does it feel good to have the windows open and let in the refreshing air.  I woke up in the middle of the night from the gusty NNE winds off the lake.  Today is going to be a wonderful day...#manifest

• Like 3

The lake effect clouds blowing in off LM reminds me of those colder autumn and winter days...what may be coming down the road???  It'll be here soon enough...a perfect wind trajectory downwind the entire length of the Lake into NE IL.  #winteronmymind

Static map

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, westMJim said:

Well it is a real cool late July day here today at this time the current temperature here at my house is 70 with full sunshine. The overnight low was 57 both here at my house and at GRR.

Same here, but we have intermittent clouds and a very nice breeze.  A stupendously fantastic Friday!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Clinton said:

It's currently 90 with a heat index of 101, the dew point is 75 down a couple of notches from yesterday but still miserable and no breeze today.

I’m with you. Today is just as bad as the rest of the week. No breeze at all and dews are mid 70’s at least. My son just asked me why it’s not cooler today as that’s what the forecast said. I told him NWS Hastings has had a rough summer around here with their forecasts. 

• lol 1

woke up to a surprise tstorm this morning and a couple of the loudest booms I've heard in a long time from my house. Absolutely dumped rain for a while. That's a good thing, bc I'm not too sure how much we will end up getting from tonight's rains based on model trends.

Received 1.37" of rain in about an hour and a half. These cells weren't very big either, so a lot of town missed out unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Hot it is

Current conditions at

Clinton, MO (KGLY)

sct.png

Fair

95°F

35°C

Humidity 56%
Wind Speed Vrbl 6 mph
Barometer 30.05 in
Dewpoint 77°F (25°C)
Visibility 9.00 mi
Heat Index 110°F (43°C)
Last update 30 Jul 1:35 pm CDT
  • Sick 2

19 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Hot it is

Current conditions at

Clinton, MO (KGLY)

sct.png

Fair

95°F

35°C

Humidity 56%
Wind Speed Vrbl 6 mph
Barometer 30.05 in
Dewpoint 77°F (25°C)
Visibility 9.00 mi
Heat Index 110°F (43°C)
Last update 30 Jul 1:35 pm CDT

Today is the 1st time in a long while where I am laying out on my deck enjoying the day.  71F/51F

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Happy Friday!  It's 5:55am as I write this and the sun rose today at 5:43am local time.  It's a wonderful start to the morning with an air temp of 66F and a very comfy DP 56F.  My goodness, does it feel good to have the windows open and let in the refreshing air.  I woke up in the middle of the night from the gusty NNE winds off the lake.  Today is going to be a wonderful day...#manifest

Yes it feels worlds different here than yesterday! 😃A breeze picked up late last evening and began cooling it off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

It's currently 90 with a heat index of 101, the dew point is 75 down a couple of notches from yesterday but still miserable and no breeze today.

Here it took all day to cool off after the frontal passage which is common during summer.

2 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

woke up to a surprise tstorm this morning and a couple of the loudest booms I've heard in a long time from my house. Absolutely dumped rain for a while. That's a good thing, bc I'm not too sure how much we will end up getting from tonight's rains based on model trends.

Received 1.37" of rain in about an hour and a half. These cells weren't very big either, so a lot of town missed out unfortunately.

I had noticed scattered cells heading right for Omaha.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I’m not officially in a heat advisory, but it feels the worst of any day this week. No wind and it just seems like you can’t breathe doing any work outside. Still seeing heat index between 102-107. They say dews in the 50’s Sunday. I’ll hope they’re correct. 

I noticed that soupy air and a warm front near your area.

9BCF36D9-4F18-4F51-9500-CA12E926D14A.thumb.gif.b6fed7587dd76b8b749543de1fd002f6.gif

• Like 1

Hot this weekend. 100* Highs.  
But Monday we have front move through with rain and a high of 92*.  
That should feel like a cool front.  I’m ready for a change.  

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Hello from Pascagoula, MS. Right on the gulf. Was in New Orleans last night. Went down to Bourbon Street! Was in TX for a week prior to that. Was in Brownsville right on the border. Actually saw part of the border wall. 

Anyway, its been sunny and mid to upper 90s everyday. And humid, except Amarillo was more of a dry heat. Looks like you guys are baking back at home as well. Been a hot summer.

I return home next Tuesday. Looking forward to fall!

• Like 5