July 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

We've been cloudy and in the low 70s all afternoon.  It's great.  It just began to sprinkle, too, the first drops of rain in over two weeks.  Unfortunately, we likely won't get much more than sprinkles out of this.  Models continue to show very little, if any, rain over the next 7-10 days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

DMX really talking this event up- after all the dryness now one county away from a Flash Flood Watch. I'll take every drop--

image.png.4394933506742233b286e6174ddc0f42.png

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

24 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

My brother in Shawnee KS just texted me that at 5 pm the heat index was 121. Yikes. 

Getting a torrential downpour right now and its still 92 with a heat index of 107. I may receive an inch before it ends.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Always love a good satellite pic of CB's blocking out the sunlight on the east side.

image.thumb.png.7630a45a690a6ae29ed2582389f9ab68.png

That’s amazing. I was just going to post a similar visible satellite image. Yeah it’s nice when the sun is lower and that’s when I like checking it. 
BTW, here’s the one I was looking at. Can see the cell that was over Clinton.

EE89E715-66AC-4747-BCE0-E7E6CABE975A.jpeg

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 3

Unreal, getting missed again in Cedar Rapids. It just seems like we can't even get a thunderstorm or let alone, heavy rain! 

It also seems like we can't go one summer without having a drought here, the last time we weren't in a drought I believe was way back in the summer of 2014. I am not sure why it can't just rain here.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

If anything would develop I think it’d be very isolated. Very little on the radar. Has a huge bust potential imo. 

I'd call it a bust. Good call.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

2 hours ago, Iowawx said:

Unreal, getting missed again in Cedar Rapids. It just seems like we can't even get a thunderstorm or let alone, heavy rain! 

It also seems like we can't go one summer without having a drought here, the last time we weren't in a drought I believe was way back in the summer of 2014. I am not sure why it can't just rain here.

That was Ottumwa  2012 to 2017..  repeatedly  dry. Severe 3 summers.  2014 and 2016  not too dry. But since Aug 2018 we now have been on a good roll here!  Of past 36 months only 4  were below avg precip! Thats at my home, but based on Ottumwa  monthly averages.  Dry summers will return! They always do.

6 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

That was Ottumwa  2012 to 2017..  repeatedly  dry. Severe 3 summers.  2014 and 2016  not too dry. But since Aug 2018 we now have been on a good roll here!  Of past 36 months only 4  were below avg precip! Thats at my home, but based on Ottumwa  monthly averages.  Dry summers will return! They always do.

Looks like your getting some rather heavy downpours at the moment!

image.png

• Like 1

I got a few sprinkles last evening.  0.58" will be my final July total.  ☹️  It's easily my driest July since I began to keep records fifteen years ago.

Edit:  I forgot there is a slight chance of a shower later this evening, so the 0.58" is not final for sure.

• Sad 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

58 minutes ago, Tom said:

In other news, this is pretty interesting to see the military use our highway system to land aircraft.  

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/military-to-land-aircraft-on-michigan-highway/

That should have been done regularly in the past. Locating stretches of highway without overpasses and preparing for emergencies at home.  
awesome.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

This weekend says adios too 100’s for awhile as a front moves through.  

Mon-Th we’ll see a 40-50% chance of rain and temps between 92-94.  
We’re so ready.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

It was storming hard enough around 6:30 this morning that it woke me up and I sleep like a rock. Only 0.71" at the airport, not sure how much in SE Lincoln.  

• Like 6

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

3 hours ago, Tom said:

In other news, this is pretty interesting to see the military use our highway system to land aircraft.  

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/military-to-land-aircraft-on-michigan-highway/

from the comments ( I knew this but someone writes better than I can)-

about landing on freeways--- interstate system was designed for that purpose- has to be long enough section every so far distance to land military planes (at the time) --

This is still standard procedure in Sweden. And for those who actually remembered their US history, these types of operations were used by the Germans in 1944-45. When General Eisenhower saw how the road system the Germans had built, he decided to do the same for the US when he was President, the interstate freeways. They were originally built to be able to rapidly move military items including operating airplanes on some of the long straight stretches in case of invasion.

The U.S. Federal Interstate system was specifically DESIGNED to use as runways in the event of war or other major disaster. The requirement was that ONE mile of every 5 was supposed to be straight enough to use as a runway, without overpasses or power lines. Over the years there may have been some compromises made, but then the system was proposed and laid out, those were the original requirements.

• Like 5

ended up with 1.75". 2.91 at the DSM.

Suddenly July at DSM saw 5.86". Normal is 3.82" so 150% above normal.

• Like 6

Gonna finish July at about 60% of normal precip. My year to date precip is about 50% of normal. Meanwhile, the same areas south of me that aren't even in a drought got multiple rounds of thunderstorms over the past week. Yay for them I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.