July 2021 PNW Weather Discussion

29 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Look, I posted what I’m observing down in North Bend from my office (persistent clouds) and what my weather station said at home (65°F). I just stepped outside and can see the dividing line of cloudy and clear skies to the east. I live up against Rattlesnake so if I don’t get morning sun my weather station often runs a bit cooler. I know you’re obsessed with making it appear as sunny and warm as possible in North Bend, but do you have to critique or clarify every post I make? 

I am not obsessed with making anything seem warm.   People say I post too much about all of our rain and make it sound like it's wet and cold everywhere.  But the fact is that this has been a very warm and sunny summer out here... and our area has been running warmer than Seattle almost every single day which is unusual.    So I do report when its anomalously warm and dry here too.  And it definitely has been.   

Current view here:

20210720_144051.jpg

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Look, I posted what I’m observing down in North Bend from my office (persistent clouds) and what my weather station said at home (65°F). I just stepped outside and can see the dividing line of cloudy and clear skies to the east. I live up against Rattlesnake so if I don’t get morning sun my weather station often runs a bit cooler. I know you’re obsessed with making it appear as sunny and warm as possible in North Bend, but do you have to critique or clarify every post I make? 

He can't help it.

• lol 1

12 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

He can't help it.

I actually did not critique his post.   

I posted about the current weather up here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

35 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's sunny right now... and 69 here.    It's been partly sunny since about 12:30.    Very few solid marine layer days this summer where it stays cloudy all day.

This is not a critique of his post.

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

70 and mostly sunny now. 

It’d be interesting to see if SEA and BFI will be able to crack 70 today. Both sitting at a cool 66F at 3pm with deep cloud deck. Still plenty of time for this to clear out and get warm up. 

Warm and cloudy/humid here. No drizzle on the day in my area. 
My yard continues to explode with growth. My grass however is starting to slow down, I can now go to a every two week mowing rotation! 

5D98C908-E12F-437B-9511-8D9066B2F8BF.jpeg

A85B5299-3DB0-4D99-9D71-45538DC78066.jpeg

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

You know exactly what you do and it makes me hesitant to ever post here. Admittedly, I don’t have much in the way of weather knowledge to add anyways. 

If its sunny only in town, you post the North Bend webcam and ignore our area. If it’s only sunny in our area, you post photos of our area and ignore the clouds in town. Tale as old as time. 

I really don’t think Tim was actually trying to criticize you at all here…it can be hard to tell on the internet what people mean. Sometimes he is criticizing things people post but not everything he’s saying has a double jaded meaning to it. 
 As for you not having much to add to the forum you actually do add to the place we’re glad to have you. Just talking about your weather conditions and statistics adds a lot to the place. Just stick around and you learn a lot. I’m still not an expert by any means but I’m still learning a lot. You learn a lot about how to read and interpret forecast models here which I had no idea how to do until I stuck around for awhile. 

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

12 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

You know exactly what you do and it makes me hesitant to ever post here. Admittedly, I don’t have much in the way of weather knowledge to add anyways. 

If its sunny only in town, you post the North Bend webcam and ignore our area. If it’s only sunny in our area, you post photos of our area and ignore the clouds in town. Tale as old as time. 

That is not true at all... I mix it up for variety.    The view from the Forster Woods web cam is pretty cool and I have the same basic view from here so I post that at times.    I am constantly accused by some on here of over-inflating the high rainfall totals in our area... or exaggerating cloudiness... and implying the entire area is the same.    Now you are saying the opposite.

That view right now from Forster Woods is about the same as it looks here.   Feel free to point out when its different. 

nb 7-20-04.png

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It’d be interesting to see if SEA and BFI will be able to crack 70 today. Both sitting at a cool 66F at 3pm with deep cloud deck. Still plenty of time for this to clear out and get warm up. 

I think they’ll get there it’s clearing up now. Probably won’t even end up a negative departure here but they might in the central sound to the north of here. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is not true at all... I mix it up for variety.    The view from the Forster Woods web cam is pretty cool and I have the same basic view from here so I post that at times.    I am constantly accused by some on here of over-inflating the high rainfall totals in our area... or exaggerating cloudiness... and implying the entire area is the same.    Now you are saying the opposite.

That view right now from Forster Woods is about the same as it looks here.   Feel free to point out when its different. 

nb 7-20-04.png

WSDOT cam at MP 33 shows mostly sunny skies. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

All I’m asking is that I’m allowed to post my observations without an “actually…”.

I really don’t care, I just enjoy PNW weather. 

Post away... I love your rainfall observations because I just use the Cedar River Watershed station and your data is sometimes different and even closer.     

And I did not use "actually'.   I just posted what its like here which is closer to your house than you were.

16 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Busting warm today...

Yes... you can tell the days it will bust warm.   Today and tomorrow are classic days for that to happen when the marine layer sticks around into the afternoon.   Those days are easily identifiable on the ECMWF surface maps. 

Thursday - Saturday will be back to sunny most of the day so it will be accurate or maybe a little low on those days.  Sunday and Monday are wild card days again.   

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Some of the models are now hinting at ridging returning and warm to hot regional temps as we get to days 9-10. Strongest sign we've really seen of it this month.

Matt senses it coming... Phil says mid to late August.

But its usually best to accelerate Phil's timing.

59 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I think they’ll get there it’s clearing up now. Probably won’t even end up a negative departure here but they might in the central sound to the north of here. 

SEA just jumped to 72 on the latest observation.  

Also 72 in North Bend now... and here.

The entire WA and OR coastline is sunny this afternoon... clouds still hanging tough over Snohomish and northern King County. 

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20210720.233117-over=map-bars=.gif

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

There was a brief period of sunbreak for about 30 mins at 4pm that help warmed up the area to 70F. It’s clouded back up though.

It will be interesting to see the 5 p.m. observation from SEA.   It looks sunny down there now.   

518vc00252.jpg

Y’all have a serious pollution problem. Drowning in a sea of western wildfire smoke this evening. Sun completely blocked out. Like a thick, smelly fog.

• Sick 1
  • Weenie 3

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Matt senses it coming... Phil says mid to late August.

But its usually best to accelerate Phil's timing.

Mid-August start.  Ridging will already be well underway by late August.

Early August looks to feature IO/EHEM convective forcing which rarely teleconnects to PNW ridging (minus a day or two).

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Y’all have a serious pollution problem. Drowning in a sea of western wildfire smoke this evening. Sun completely blocked out. Like a thick, smelly fog.

Pollution?   Could not be more pretty here... a deep blue sky and a refreshing breeze and the smell of fir trees.   :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Pollution?   Could not be more pretty here... a deep blue sky and a refreshing breeze and the smell of fir trees.   :)

They’re your fires, hence your secondhand smoke.

Just saying.

• Troll 1
  • Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

They’re your fires, hence your secondhand smoke.

Just saying.

Our fires?   There are no fires around here.   You can keep all that garbage over there.    Thankful for the jet stream right now.   👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Some of the models are now hinting at ridging returning and warm to hot regional temps as we get to days 9-10. Strongest sign we've really seen of it this month.

I don’t see the signal you’re seeing (at least not yet). Definitely not a cool signal either, westside PNW is essentially stuck between the 4CH and GOA trough.

The GFS is just doing stupid things with ULLs again. Every 2-3 runs it goes wild with amplification.

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

I had to check some web cams from Minnesota... looks pretty nasty there too.   Not looking forward to leaving our slice of paradise and heading east.  

C770.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Our fires?   There are no fires around here.   You can keep all that garbage over there.    Thankful for the jet stream right now.   👍

There are no fires here. This crap is all coming from the West.

That late June PNW death ridge started it all.

• Weenie 2